Stayed for 2 nights in this hotel and it was perfect for my needs. I was picked up from the airport for $10 by taxi which was much cheaper than most other private taxis.
The hotel is in a very dodgy part of town and as a single female traveler, I didn't always feel very safe, but nevertheless didn't encounter anything untoward. The main area is an easy 5 minute walk from the hotel.
The bedroom I stayed in was a reasonable size and had a nice bathroom with a good shower (just what I needed after terrible showers at a previous hotel).
The staff were always very friendly and helped me book my trips and transfers. The only issue I had was with a lady on reception, who accused me of not paying $10 for a transfer I booked. But as I definitely remembered paying and had a receipt as proof, there was not much more she could say (though she tried several times and made me feel like a thief!).
A big negative: the neighbours- there are people who live in private housing in very close proximity to the hotel and there was a lady who kept on shouting in a very high-pitched voice late into the night and lots of kids screaming at all hours. With it being Ramadan at the time, I understood that people are likely to be awake for longer in the evenings, but that was excessive. I even had to wear ear plugs to help me sleep.
Big positives: free WIFI!! Reasonable breakfast. Free tea and coffee all day. Help yourself to other drinks and write down what you took in a book and pay at the end.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Princess Salme Inn is a bed and breakfast hotel perfect for travellers looking to see Zanzibar for less. When you're out and about all day, a comfy bed and hearty breakfast are all you need! So book Princess Salme Inn, a bed and breakfast in Stone Town Zanzibar where you pay less and sleep well. Princess Salme Inn is a simple but comfortable bed and breakfast hotel in Stone Town growing incorporating its customer needs. It is in an old Arabic mansion with traditional touches. The hotel has remained one of the cleanest in the area and still maintains the lowest rates in town. Our team will assist planning and recommending tours, transfers and even safaris ... .. Our rooms are simple with the highest level of cleanness. We have variety of rooms to suite your needs and budget, and leaving you satisfied at the end. From Backpackers to Honeymooners, from cheap / budget customers to mid-range customers. The rooms are naturally decorated in Zanzibarian style with traditional Zanzibar beds. We are working hard to bridge the gap between client satisfaction and management perception of good service. Your honest reviews even if they are bad and good ones, all help us grow better. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld and HostelBookers so you can book your Princess Salme Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Princess Salme Hotel Stone Town
- Princess Salme Inn Zanzibar Island/Stone Town