This hotel reminded me of something you see in movies from colonial Africa. My suite was placed on the 3rd floor. It contained a huge main room and adjacent shower room and a separate toilet. During the day the windows are kept open to let air into the room. The disadvantage of this is that the inside temperature was 29 degrees Celsius. The bed is surrounded by a mosquito net to keep any unwanted "friends" out of your bed. The only such thing I saw was a tiny gecko in my toilet room one night.
Stone Town suffer power outages regularly. The greatest disadvantage for you in this is that your AC will not automatically turn back on. Which means that if your trying to chill your room you run the risk of having your effort thwarted by a power outage, even if the outage is only a few seconds.
If you want to stay in something that feel authentic, and have a African experience I highly recommend this. If your a comfort creature that wants your room a steady X degree, and absolutely no chance of bugs this is not for you.
The hotel has an excellent restaurant. You'll eat breakfast here in the morning, but it is also highly recommended to try it for your evening meal. The service is great, and the food the same. The only negative thing is that it can take a while before getting the food. Estimate an hour for breakfast.
The hotel does not have fitness center or a pool. It is located 100m from the beach. However the beach does not have any sun-chairs, nor is the beach an excellent beach. The tours offed from the hotel is severely overcharged. For example a spice tour from the hotel cost 60USD per person, while we got it for 40USD for 5 people on the street.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- After the heat and dust of Stone Town, the rooms of BEYT AL SALAAM BOUTIQUE HOTEL, are a cool heaven, constructed in the traditional Swahili manner, whereby Four-Poster Beds Draped with netting dominate, offset by delicate side tables, vanity units, etc ... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Beyt al Salaam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beyt Al Chai Hotel Stone Town
- Beyt Al Salaam Zanzibar/Stone Town