We stayed at Beyt al Chai for one night en-route to Matemwe in the North of the island and it was perfectly fine for a one night stay. You wouldn't want this to be your destination, but for a night or two en-route, it is perfectly fine.
The rooms are clean and quite comfortable and the location is right in the heart of Stone Town, so you don't actually spend that much time inside your room. Best bet is to get outside and explore Stone Town - the cobbled streets and night markets are great! Though, be warned, you need to negotiate quite a lot to get a fair price for any souveniers...!
I would happily stay here again, or refer it to family and friends, however, would make sure to let them know that it is old and historic, and therefore, not everything always works like clockwork - but that is part of the charm :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- After the heat and dust of Stone Town, the rooms of BEYT AL SALAAM BOUTIQUE HOTEL, are a cool heaven, constructed in the traditional Swahili manner, whereby Four-Poster Beds Draped with netting dominate, offset by delicate side tables, vanity units, etc ... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Venere, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Beyt al Salaam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beyt Al Chai Hotel Stone Town
- Beyt Al Salaam Zanzibar/Stone Town