“A great choice for stay if you are planning to visit Stone Town.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Africa House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stone Town
The Africa House Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Shangani Street, Stone Town, Tanzania   |
Ranked #25 of 29 hotels in Stone Town
“A great choice for stay if you are planning to visit Stone Town.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Recently I have just got back from my holiday in Zanzibar. My two week trip was divided between Stone Town and the beach. In Stone Town I have stayed in a really nice,colonial style hotel: Africa Hotel. The place is charming with a really nice view on the ocean from one of its restaurants. During my stay I was welcomed with a very positive atmosphere and my evenings were enriched with beautiful sunsets. I surely recommend this place and I am surely going to come there soon,so please keep for me my sea-view room. Thank you Africa House team for letting me to take a little glimpse at African culture and life from your hotel.

• Stayed December 2012

146 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Lydenburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for one night (28 December 2012). We selected this hotel based on the colonial look and location. On arrival our sea view rooms (paid in advance) were no longer available and we had to settle for second best. A power failure added to our mood.

We were disappointed with the state of the hotel and the overall quality of food and service. It is a pity that poor management and staff discipline ruins a great opportunity and setting.

Our experience in stone Town was enhanched by a city walking tour as well as a superb dinner at the Dhow palace Hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic colonial place that has not lost its soul through renovation. Wonderful staircases, woodwork, old photos, signposts, lavatories. Could be used for a period film any day without much in the way of alterations!

The staff are mostly lovely but a bit shy and lethargic. Unbeliavably they were out if coffee, the water came on and off. There were many charming idiosyncracies that were rather touching and made me feel for the place and hoping that it will manage to stay in business.

Sadly, what will happen is probably a few more years of decline followed by new management and a complete and sterile renovation that will destroy this aging gem!

• Stayed January 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

DO NOT GO HERE!!!!!!

Thus hotel is beautiful from the outside and HAD potential to be exquisite inside but something went wrong somewhere.

We were previously at another hotel but couldn't stay there for the final day as it was full booked. So my dad booked African house hotel because he had previously had such a great stay there (must have been in the early 90's). Anyhow upon arrival the receptionist was so unmotivated that it took her 15mins to look at the same page in the diary to find our booking. Then made me and my sister follow her around the hotel so as she could show us the VERY many empty rooms they had so as we chose what too we wanted. That in itself was a sign that we shouldn't have stayed there- the fact that they had so many empty rooms in high season and that there no tourists anywhere in the hotel (this was at around 11pm)

After deciding what rooms we wanted I went back into the balcony/bar area where my dad asked the waitress for coffee and she replied that they don't have coffee. To which my dad responded 'why didn't they have coffee, there a hotel?'. At that point I had to leave as I was getting irate.

We went downstairs to pick up our bags, carried them along two flights of stairs with three of their staff walking slowlly behind us. Then when we reached the top of the stair ls the receptionist asked if she could help me with the bag!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the long review....

Upon arrival into our room we had two Cleaners making our bed (the only two members of staff who were lovely), then the other three members of staff came into our room as well just standing there

Whilst waiting for the beds to be made it took the receptionist 1ins to find a remote for the AC.

After freshening up we decided to head out and as e did so a waitress came to us with a tray of coffee!

To top it off the room wasn't very clean, doors weren't closing properly, fridge wasn't working, toilet wasn't flushing properly, it took  forever for the cistern to fill up with more water, constant water running in the toilet, staff were so unmotivated, staff would come into your room when your not there,

Breakfast was appauling, wasnt cooked properly, didn't have some of the things on the menu.

The thing that annoys me is that we paid nearly the same amount for the rooms as we did for the other hotel yet the experience was completely different.

I wrote this review at 5am in the morning due to not being able to sleep from the constant running water in the bathroom.

• Stayed December 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Great fun, great food, beautiful view. The owners are saints. Very accommodating. Located right in the heart of Stone Town. Perfect for watching the sun set and have a few drinks!!! The service was excellent and we were treated like royalty for the duration of our stay by the owner/manager. The drinks are reasonably priced and bar staff efficient, but the setting... overlooking the Indian Ocean (in our case just before sunset) is magnificent. This place has not changed since it was an old colonial officers' club.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Stone Town, Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Didnt stay in Africa house, but did come twice for a drink with fellow travellers. Terrace is great, overlooking to the sea which adds an atmosphere to the ambient. They offer a huge selection of cocktails priced for tourists. It might happen that bar runs out of many liquors.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We didn't mind that the drinks were ridiculously expensive because we had got a fantstic view of the sunset- until

a. some awful eurotrash music kept coming on so loud and tastless. some gentle african music or ibizian chill out would have been so much better.

b. some rather rude fellow tourists kept coming up and blocking it. The staff did nothing to stop them blocking our view but instead tried to push us to buy more food and drinks.

The conversion rate fromtanzanian shilling to dollars was terrible - but we had no choice but to pay that way as the waitress claimed their card machine was out of action. strange that they said they didnt have anoher one working in the entire hotel. i wonder how hotel guests paid for things?

nice sunset, terrible service and atmosphere. we couldnt wait to get out of there!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Africa House Hotel? Share your experiences!