Malindi GH is a beautiful old merchants house with more charm than you can shake a stick at... timber beams, little courtyards and extremely tastefully decorated. The only downside is the location - it is right next to the fish market, which seems to start right after morning prayers just before sunrise. The windows are really just slotted pieces of glass and don't offer the rooms any sound proofing at all. We tried to persevere but in the end tiredness drove us to another hotel - such a shame.
On the plus side the fish market is very interesting and a must see are the fisherman tenderising the freshly caught octopus. All the guide books warn about this area at night but we never had any issues at all and felt perfectly safe. We did avoid the street on the portside as a precaution however.
Another highlight of our stay was the Thai restaurant atop of Malindi GH. It is run by a lovely Thai woman and her Italian husband. The food was fantastic and 100% authentic. Around the balcony, lots of Thai herbs were growing in little pots - another good sign of the quality of the food and the need for nothing but the freshest ingredients. Breakfast was also served on the balcony, although no where near as remarkable as the Thai menu - usual fresh fruit and bread with a little bit of jam.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Established in 1976, Malindi Guest House Stone Town Zanzibar Tanzania is among the oldest Guest Houses in Zanzibar. It is located so close to Zanzibar Port (off Malindi Street) that you can walk comfortable to the famous,Guest House ratedby most authentic travel guide books as 'the best Guest House in Zanzibar'. As it is within Stone Town, staying at the Malindi Guest House get you a real feel of the Zanzibar life. Very ideal for the Budget Traveller .Rooms are quite spacious and very well furnished, self contained with ceiling fan and AC. There is a lot of tradition Zanzibar furniture and artifacts to enhance the guest feeling of their historic presence in Zanzibar.Malindi guest house is the best , clean and cheap in Stone Town and so near to shopping and forodhani park .Our rate is for bed and breakfast we serve breakfast at the top roof restaurant with good view while enjoy your breakfast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Malindi Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Malindi Guest House Hotel Stone Town
- Malindi Guest House Zanzibar/Stone Town