“Wonderful Restaurant!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I really enjoyed my dining experience here and it stands out as one of my favourite Zanzibar memories.

First of all, the restaurant decor and setting are just lovely. There is a wonderful outdoor terrace with flowers and plants. The indoor section is decorated in typical Ethiopian style. Very warm and inviting! The place is also very clean.

The food was really good. I had never tried Ethiopian cuisine before, so I took advantage of this opportunity. Everything tasted fresh and flavourful. I enjoyed it all and wish I could have eaten more :) At first, I thought the portions were somewhat small, but it was surprisingly filling. The price is reasonable. I would not call it cheap, but certainly not what I would call expensive.

The service was excellent! The young men working there could not have been more attentive or kind. And the lady who owns the place is very warm and engaging; you can tell that the restaurant is a labour of love to her native land.

Overall, I really liked it here and highly recommend trying it. It made me want to discover more about Ethiopia - and to try more of their cuisine! A very worthy choice while in Zanzibar.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Oslo, Norway
“Ethiopian experience to be shared”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had only lunch at Abyssinian. But that was an excellent experience. Delicious food. Very nice staff, A little outside the touristic streets of Stone town, but that is only a good thing. Worth taking those extra steps south of Africa House.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Fantastic dining experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have tried many restaurants during my stay in Zanzibar and Abyssinian Maritim is without question the best dining experience I've had. The food is wonderful and there is a very extensive selection of delights for non-vegetarians and vegetarians alike. The traditional Ethiopian "spri" (fruit smoothie) is divine. The dining area is ethereal and beautiful - sitting under a canopy of flowering vines and with a background of traditional Ethiopian music - the atmosphere of the place is simply wonderful. But best of all were the staff, who were super attentive and accommodating when we wanted to change around the set menu, and when we were the last in the restaurant they didn't push us to get out like so many other businesses in Stone Town. The service is complete with hot towels and friendly smiles and the owner came by to make sure we were satisfied - and even expressed concern that we hadn't eaten enough (we were stuffed!)!. We couldn't have been more pleased - a wonderful meal.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Delightful Surprise!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Great service and a wonderfully prepared and presented meal. This restaurant is managed professionally but with a friendly touch. It was fun eating with our hands and the quality of the food and coffee thereafter was a bonus.

Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Nice Ambiance & Good Ethiopian Food. Slightly overpriced.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Having lived in Ethiopia for a year I was a little sceptical but the food was good (if a little small). The staff were a bit slow but the ambiance was very relaxed, good for an intimate meal. A pleasant evening meal.

Visited July 2012