“Great guesthouse with exceptional service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rumaisa Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stone Town
Rumaisa Hotel
Save Saved
You added Rumaisa Hotel to your Saves list
Malindi, Funguni, Stone Town 3442, Tanzania   |
Ranked #5 of 28 Stone Town B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Great guesthouse with exceptional service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here 4 nights and are very happy we did. Mohamed the owner, Nelson, Modest, Lucas, Hashim, were all very friendly, helpful, and accomadating. We asked Lucas for a more traditional breakfast and he gladly served it up the next day. Check out Sunset restaurant in Stonetown where Lucas is a chef. He served us up a huge plate of delicious pilau and king fish masala when we visited.

The rooms are nicely furnished and very clean thanks to the cleaning staff who are also very friendly and nice.

It's not too far of a walk from the centre of Stonetown either perhaps 10 minutes. We walked in at least twice a day.

Thanks again Gavin and Tessa

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

From the moment you arrive, the staff makes you feel very welcome. My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights while in Stone Town. On the map it looks far from the action but it's only a 5 minute walk to the heart of Stone Town and you don't get the noise that everyone complains about staying in town. The breakfast is outstanding...fresh fruit, coffee/tea, omelet, toast and jam. Mohamed will set up any tour you desire. He is quite the entrepreneur, sit down and have a talk with him. He is currently installing a movie theatre on the main floor. He and his staff will help you out as much or little as you want. Big rooms, huge washroom, aircon, great breakfasts and friendly staff make this a good choice. Thanks again, Robyn and Shane

Room Tip: you get to choose your room when you arrive. the rooms at the back have a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I only stayed here one night as I had tried out another accommodation as well. Pros: large room that is decorated nicely and very clean, en suite bathroom with extra large shower (with ledge and this makes a difference for anyone who doesn't love wet floors), high speed ceiling fan and ac (though I could not get my air conditioning to work), small TV and fridge in room - great for storing water or drinks - though would have been nice to be provided 1-2 waters in the fridge, overall good location just outside of the bustle of town - about 5-10 min walk from gardens, helpful staff, i.e. when giving directions to pharmacy and recommending time to be in the hotel by (10pm as single female traveler). Cons: difficult to find contact info for booking (google the hotel and you'll find a blog with contact details). I also had wanted to purchase the hand held fan in the room as I was departing and was frustrated that the night manager wanted to sell it for $5USD when an expensive one in town was $3. Simply left me with a negative feeling as I felt this was blatant gouging. Room was an excellent value at $50USD.

Room Tip: I took room 108 as it was in the back and quieter than those near the street.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

A nice, little, family owned place with its very own charm.
We stayed there for 2 nights and we felt very well there!

Don't expect the highest level of comfort or service, but for this price I feld that we were getting an excellent value for our money.

The location is good as well, although I would not recommend planning on walking to Stone Town from there. This is however no problem as the taxi is 2.5 USD and takes 7-8 minutes.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

extremely nice place cozy and warm make you feel at home!
with only 7 rooms all uniquely decorated in zanzibari swahili style this hotel is more than hotel indeed. all the staff is extremely kind and helpful but the real star is the owner mohamed who is a unique person. as my wife and i where on a business trip, mohamed personally drove us to several places and introduced us to many other helpful people.
couldn't ask for more. thank you!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Deinze, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is a very good place to stay. Nice rooms, everything simple but nice. The staff is really friendly. Mohamed, the manager, is a lovely person. Try to get a room at the bak of the hotel, not at the street side. Then you are going to get less noise. You take the nice breakfast at the roof of the hotel with the fresh air passing through. The old city of Stone Town is ten minutes walk from there along the water. With a taxi is 4000 Tshillings ( 2 euros). I sure go back next time.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back side are better, with no noise from the street.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I recently finished a safari trip to Tanzania with four days in Zanzibar. I wanted to use Stone Town as a base to visit the island and I found this hotel through Trip Advisor.

I was happy to note how much I immediately liked this place! The location is perfect...a quiet street (plus local cats and roosters!) within walking distance to all local points of interest and amenities. The building is really nice...quite unique. My room was great (a single)...charming decor with a comfortable bed, A/C, fridge, TV, fan, Wifi, big bathroom, and a place to lock all personal belongings. It was also very clean, which is very important to me. Breakfast was also included on the relaxed rooftop terrace every morning, which I thoroughly enjoyed...fresh fruit and juice, coffee, eggs, toast. Locas the chef makes the best omeletes!

I think that, aside from those things, what makes this place really special is the kindness of its owner Mohammed and his employees (Modest, Locas, Maryam...all of them!). They were always helpful and respectful and willing to offer information and advice. It is obvious that Mohammed genuinely cares about the place and wants to do all that he can to make sure that guests enjoy their stay.

I am really glad that I decided to stay here! I loved every moment of my visit and this hotel truly felt like home to me. I was sad to leave after my four days ended and will always look back on my time here with fondness. A big thank you to Mohammed and all employees. I greatly recommend this hotel to all travellers looking for something a little special at an affordable price :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Rumaisa Hotel? Share your experiences!