“Food, ambience, the whole 9 yards” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 58 Restaurants in Stone Town
Cuisines: Seafood, Eclectic, Fusion
Good for: Romance, Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Unique and Innovative Seasonal Cuisine for lunch in our down stairs Cafeé, 12 to 5PMRoof Top, Tea House for Sunset Cocktails and Dinner Set Menu 5 small courses; a selection of seafood and Zanzibar specialties, Reservations only
Hartford, Connecticut
“Food, ambience, the whole 9 yards”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Climb 5 flights to the rooftop, where cooks prepare food under a canopy. Seating for about 40; you must call ahead to reserve a spot because everybody gets the same 16 course meal. While there you can watch the sun set over Stone Town, a rabbit's warren of alleyways and stone buildings that house shops, homes, restaurants, museums. You then hear the call to prayer from a half dozen separate mosques. Then watch the moon rise.
Service was just fine, and the tastes were subtle and exotic. It was something like $30 -- I thought a real value.

Montreal, Canada
“Perfect time in Stone town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I went to Emerson Spice last August and all I can say is that it was a perfect experience. The sight was incredible and I really loved to see the sunset and hear the muslim prayers. Food was delicious even though the glass of wine I ordered was bad. I had to ask for another one and, still the same awful taste. But I enjoyed my time there and the service was good. It's a bit hard to find the place, but it's worthwile to keep searching and ask to some locals. We also had the chance to visit the hotel and receive lots of information about the history of the building. Need to RSVP. A 5 course meal for 25 us$ is a perfect deal.
Thanks Emerson Spice to contribute for my lovely time in Tanzania. I recommand for sure!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Malaga, Spain
“A little disapointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Emerson Spice hotel is a gorgeously stylish hotel. We went for the set dinner on the rooftop on our last night in Stone Town. We were very much looking forward to it. The food was nice......some very nice touches ..other dishes were ordinary. The worst parts of the evening were 1/ the holey and worn out table cloths, and 2/ the waiters very bad body odour. I think that the standards need to be raised in order to keep up with the hotels reputation.

London, United Kingdom
“Better late than never...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

...and this refers to the review. It has been on the To Do list since August 2012, and I keep on finding the menu (a steal at $25 for 5 courses) which I am now minded to frame. There is very little to add to all the 5 star reviews below, except to say that it was a PERFECT MEAL and if we were to visit Stone Town again that would be our first port of call. A word of caution - the meal is not for people in a rush as every course takes its time in arriving, and it gets breezy and cold on the rooftop, so you must bring a shawl/ cardigan or a jacket.

Our main course when we dined was called 'Janja's Big Fish' and is the kind of dish you would want to serve to your own guests back at home as it is such a festive idea.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Risskov, Denmark
“Outstanding in Stonetown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We just went home after our 2nd visit to the roof top restaurant at Emerson Spice. We have tried quite a lot of other restaurants in Stonetown and Emerson Spice is without any doubt the best and in a class without comparison to the others. The food is excellent - close to the best restaurants in Denmark - and the prices for both wine and the set menu is VERY reasonable - § 30 for five outstanding courses. The setting is wonderful. Come early for a sundowner and enjoy the change from day to night. We will come back!