“Perfect time in Stone town” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 68 Restaurants in Stone Town
Cuisines: Seafood, International, Fusion
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Emerson Spice have two Restaurants: The Rooftop Tea House Restaurant - The Seafood Based, Set Five Course 'Taste Safari' Degustation Menu is prepared daily by our Zanzibari Chefs. The Sunset Hour is an integral part of the experience, so Diners are encouraged to arrive at any time after 5.30p.m. to enjoy a 'Sundowner' before dinner, which is served at 7p.m. Reservations Recommended. The Secret Garden - set amidst lushly landscaped hidden 'Ruins', open to the skies, it has a Zanzibari inspired A La Carte Menu. Look out for live music performed by The Dhow Countires Music Academy. Open for Lunch and Dinner.
Montreal, Canada
“Perfect time in Stone town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I went to Emerson Spice last August and all I can say is that it was a perfect experience. The sight was incredible and I really loved to see the sunset and hear the muslim prayers. Food was delicious even though the glass of wine I ordered was bad. I had to ask for another one and, still the same awful taste. But I enjoyed my time there and the service was good. It's a bit hard to find the place, but it's worthwile to keep searching and ask to some locals. We also had the chance to visit the hotel and receive lots of information about the history of the building. Need to RSVP. A 5 course meal for 25 us$ is a perfect deal.
Thanks Emerson Spice to contribute for my lovely time in Tanzania. I recommand for sure!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
Malaga, Spain
“A little disapointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Emerson Spice hotel is a gorgeously stylish hotel. We went for the set dinner on the rooftop on our last night in Stone Town. We were very much looking forward to it. The food was nice......some very nice touches ..other dishes were ordinary. The worst parts of the evening were 1/ the holey and worn out table cloths, and 2/ the waiters very bad body odour. I think that the standards need to be raised in order to keep up with the hotels reputation.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Julie F
London, United Kingdom
“Better late than never...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

...and this refers to the review. It has been on the To Do list since August 2012, and I keep on finding the menu (a steal at $25 for 5 courses) which I am now minded to frame. There is very little to add to all the 5 star reviews below, except to say that it was a PERFECT MEAL and if we were to visit Stone Town again that would be our first port of call. A word of caution - the meal is not for people in a rush as every course takes its time in arriving, and it gets breezy and cold on the rooftop, so you must bring a shawl/ cardigan or a jacket.

Our main course when we dined was called 'Janja's Big Fish' and is the kind of dish you would want to serve to your own guests back at home as it is such a festive idea.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Risskov, Denmark
“Outstanding in Stonetown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We just went home after our 2nd visit to the roof top restaurant at Emerson Spice. We have tried quite a lot of other restaurants in Stonetown and Emerson Spice is without any doubt the best and in a class without comparison to the others. The food is excellent - close to the best restaurants in Denmark - and the prices for both wine and the set menu is VERY reasonable - § 30 for five outstanding courses. The setting is wonderful. Come early for a sundowner and enjoy the change from day to night. We will come back!

Visited February 2013
Aurora, Canada
“Great evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Difficult to find. I'm staying at the Princess Saleme B&B and asked a taxi if he new where the Emerson Spice was and could he take me there. We Drove around the perimeter of the city coming almost back to where I was picked up and dropped me at the Manson Hotel. The staff there was kind enough to put me in the right direction. This is in a maize of narrow lanes where motor scooters or walking are the only means of getting around, 1500tsh and I reached the Emerson Spice where reservation are required and was being turned away until I told my story and they let me stay.
Five flight up to the roof top restaurant for a five course prepared menu. There is seating for 27 but only prepare for the number who have reserved. Everything is included for US$30.00, drinks extra.
We started to be served at 17:00hrs and were treated to great food and extraordinary seasonings. Everyone clapped and praised the chef and we began leaving shortly after 21:00. An enjoyable experience with experience service. Listened to the loud speakers calling to worship which seamed like every hour from all directions. I could see my hotel not far away but was not sure of the route there so someone was asked to walk me to the main street leading to it.
I ate at a busy open food market on the beach the night before, paid $12.00 for food not eatable. Recommend reservations for the Emerson Spice.

• Visited February 2013