“Better late than never...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 55 restaurants in Stone Town
Cuisines: Seafood, Eclectic, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Unique and Innovative Seasonal Cuisine for lunch in our down stairs Cafeé, 12 to 5PMRoof Top, Tea House for Sunset Cocktails and Dinner Set Menu 5 small courses; a selection of seafood and Zanzibar specialties, Reservations only
London, United Kingdom
“Better late than never...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

...and this refers to the review. It has been on the To Do list since August 2012, and I keep on finding the menu (a steal at $25 for 5 courses) which I am now minded to frame. There is very little to add to all the 5 star reviews below, except to say that it was a PERFECT MEAL and if we were to visit Stone Town again that would be our first port of call. A word of caution - the meal is not for people in a rush as every course takes its time in arriving, and it gets breezy and cold on the rooftop, so you must bring a shawl/ cardigan or a jacket.

Our main course when we dined was called 'Janja's Big Fish' and is the kind of dish you would want to serve to your own guests back at home as it is such a festive idea.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
Risskov, Denmark
“Outstanding in Stonetown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We just went home after our 2nd visit to the roof top restaurant at Emerson Spice. We have tried quite a lot of other restaurants in Stonetown and Emerson Spice is without any doubt the best and in a class without comparison to the others. The food is excellent - close to the best restaurants in Denmark - and the prices for both wine and the set menu is VERY reasonable - § 30 for five outstanding courses. The setting is wonderful. Come early for a sundowner and enjoy the change from day to night. We will come back!

Visited February 2013
Aurora, Canada
“Great evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Difficult to find. I'm staying at the Princess Saleme B&B and asked a taxi if he new where the Emerson Spice was and could he take me there. We Drove around the perimeter of the city coming almost back to where I was picked up and dropped me at the Manson Hotel. The staff there was kind enough to put me in the right direction. This is in a maize of narrow lanes where motor scooters or walking are the only means of getting around, 1500tsh and I reached the Emerson Spice where reservation are required and was being turned away until I told my story and they let me stay.
Five flight up to the roof top restaurant for a five course prepared menu. There is seating for 27 but only prepare for the number who have reserved. Everything is included for US$30.00, drinks extra.
We started to be served at 17:00hrs and were treated to great food and extraordinary seasonings. Everyone clapped and praised the chef and we began leaving shortly after 21:00. An enjoyable experience with experience service. Listened to the loud speakers calling to worship which seamed like every hour from all directions. I could see my hotel not far away but was not sure of the route there so someone was asked to walk me to the main street leading to it.
I ate at a busy open food market on the beach the night before, paid $12.00 for food not eatable. Recommend reservations for the Emerson Spice.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“The best dinner at the best hotel in stone town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere is very nice. Webwebtbat around 6pm on the roof terrace where the restaurant is in order to watch the sunset.
The price for dinner was very good! $30
Per person for a 5 course meal. But it wasn't only five, as each course had 3 or 4 small dishes!
Excellent use of the local spices. My favourite dishes of that dinner was the lobster in vanilla sauce, the warm mango with cardamon, and the coconut kingfish!
The service was very nice and all the waiters were very smiley and friendly!
We requested that we did not want garlic or onions in our food and they redirected that. They made the effort not to cook out dishes with garlic or onion.
Excellent restaurant!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good quality ingredients”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Its a lovely setting and good quality food - I get the feeling it could be a bit hit and miss and that some things they put together work and others not so much.

I was also expecting a bit more local flavours and spice given the name of the place! But it was good international food with a few subtle nods to local flavours on the side.

Visited January 2013