“Outstanding in Stonetown” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 59 Restaurants in Stone Town
Cuisines: Seafood, Eclectic, Fusion
Good for: Romance, Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Unique and Innovative Seasonal Cuisine for lunch in our down stairs Cafeé, 12 to 5PMRoof Top, Tea House for Sunset Cocktails and Dinner Set Menu 5 small courses; a selection of seafood and Zanzibar specialties, Reservations only
Risskov, Denmark
“Outstanding in Stonetown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We just went home after our 2nd visit to the roof top restaurant at Emerson Spice. We have tried quite a lot of other restaurants in Stonetown and Emerson Spice is without any doubt the best and in a class without comparison to the others. The food is excellent - close to the best restaurants in Denmark - and the prices for both wine and the set menu is VERY reasonable - § 30 for five outstanding courses. The setting is wonderful. Come early for a sundowner and enjoy the change from day to night. We will come back!

Visited February 2013

Aurora, Canada
“Great evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Difficult to find. I'm staying at the Princess Saleme B&B and asked a taxi if he new where the Emerson Spice was and could he take me there. We Drove around the perimeter of the city coming almost back to where I was picked up and dropped me at the Manson Hotel. The staff there was kind enough to put me in the right direction. This is in a maize of narrow lanes where motor scooters or walking are the only means of getting around, 1500tsh and I reached the Emerson Spice where reservation are required and was being turned away until I told my story and they let me stay.
Five flight up to the roof top restaurant for a five course prepared menu. There is seating for 27 but only prepare for the number who have reserved. Everything is included for US$30.00, drinks extra.
We started to be served at 17:00hrs and were treated to great food and extraordinary seasonings. Everyone clapped and praised the chef and we began leaving shortly after 21:00. An enjoyable experience with experience service. Listened to the loud speakers calling to worship which seamed like every hour from all directions. I could see my hotel not far away but was not sure of the route there so someone was asked to walk me to the main street leading to it.
I ate at a busy open food market on the beach the night before, paid $12.00 for food not eatable. Recommend reservations for the Emerson Spice.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“The best dinner at the best hotel in stone town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere is very nice. Webwebtbat around 6pm on the roof terrace where the restaurant is in order to watch the sunset.
The price for dinner was very good! $30
Per person for a 5 course meal. But it wasn't only five, as each course had 3 or 4 small dishes!
Excellent use of the local spices. My favourite dishes of that dinner was the lobster in vanilla sauce, the warm mango with cardamon, and the coconut kingfish!
The service was very nice and all the waiters were very smiley and friendly!
We requested that we did not want garlic or onions in our food and they redirected that. They made the effort not to cook out dishes with garlic or onion.
Excellent restaurant!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Good quality ingredients”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Its a lovely setting and good quality food - I get the feeling it could be a bit hit and miss and that some things they put together work and others not so much.

I was also expecting a bit more local flavours and spice given the name of the place! But it was good international food with a few subtle nods to local flavours on the side.

Visited January 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Great location, fantastic food, friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Saw the menu advertised outside after we walked past a few times and decided to check it out. Book earlier in the day because there is limited seating on the roof and once it's full, that's it. There is no second sitting. Arrive around six for cocktails as the sun goes down and take in the Dinner is served promptly at 7 and comes out in five courses.

When we went, you got 5 courses for $30pp. The food used local spices and was provided in the format of a degustation. The quality was outstanding and matched when matched with an appropriate wine (do this yourself during the cocktail hour) brought out more of the flavour. The courses are all explained to you when brought out and the wait between each course is neither too long nor too soon.

The atmosphere of the roof-top restaurant is perfect. You can see all over the city and out to coast and hear the sounds of the city as people go about their business, as well as the evening call to prayer from all of the nearby mosques.

Don't miss it if you're visiting Stone Town.

• Visited January 2013