“Quirky boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Emerson Spice

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stone Town
Emerson Spice
You added Emerson Spice to your Saves list
Tharia Street, Kiponda, Stone Town, Tanzania   |
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Stone Town
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Quirky boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in the KATE room which has 2 balconies and is furnished in a quirky style. All the staff were really helpful and breakfast in the roof top restaurant offered great views of Stone Town. The hotel itself is in a good location being perfect for exploring the towns shops/ atmosphere.
The evening tasting menu at the roof top restaurant is well worth trying with several courses with some most unusual combinations all of which were very good and unique.
If staying in Stone Town then Emerson Spice is a great place to stay

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I had seen the photos of the bedrooms but still wasn't prepared for the reality of their amazing and unique opulence. I was fortunate to stay in three of the rooms, as my brother Russell works there, and each was a different but fabulous experience. I felt like royalty as I stayed my first two nights in 'Kate' near the very top of the hotel. With two terraces at either side of the hotel, I was spoilt for choice, as well as an indoor and outdoor bath! I also stayed in Semele and Simiti(?) and they were both equally amazing and brilliantly decorated and furnished. I loved the breakfasts on the roof terrace; the poached eggs with their amazing orange yokes were the best I've experienced. I also had several top class lunches. All the staff are friendly and attentive and I can't wait to revisit and hopefully stay in the sister hotel, which is being refurbished and which I was fortunate to see. I was blown away by the work being done on the hotel and the views from the various terraces are simply amazing. Due to our busy schedule I was unable to get to meet Emerson, who is clearly a man of exceptional vision which is so evident in the quirky and unique design of each room. I feel so lucky to have experienced this wonderful hotel and would like to thank everyone involved with it for making my stay so comfortable and unforgettable.

Room Tip: All the rooms look incredible. You will probably be woken by the early call to prayer, but even thi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Harare, Zimbabwe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I travel widely, but I would rate this as the best hotel experience I have ever had.

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights in February, on the occasion of her birthday. The staff were unbelievably helpful - arranging with me in advance all sorts of surprises like flowers in the (amazing) room, champagne etc, then serenading the birthday girl as they took her up to show her the room. The room (Valletta, I think it was called?) was incredible: beautiful, interesting furniture, romantic bed and a 70 foot verandah overseeing the market below - perfect for lounging on day beds with a coffee and drinking in the atmosphere. The cuisine at the rooftop restaurant was sophisticated, delicious and generous - not cheap of course but better value than any other I had in Stown Town considering the quality. I just wished we could have stayed for longer!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I know this review has been a while in coming but just need everyone to know how amazing this place is. We stayed in "Belle" room and we were totally amazed by the place.
The bed was unbelievably comfortable.....and high up!!
The decor is amazing and the restaurant on the top floor is to die for. We were only going to try the restraunt once while we were there, but ended up back there every night. ( just make sure you pre-book the table).
We were fortunate enough to meet the owner, who plonked himself at our table and made us feel part of the family......and his knowledge on chocolate and the coco bean was unfounded. It definitely showed in his restaurants chocolate desert. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants nothing but the best.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

My husband and I have just returned from Zanzibar and spent 6 nights at the Emerson Spice Hotel. The service was first class, and the food exceptional. Each evening the menu was unique. I cannot praise this hotel more, The rooms are beautiful. We stayed in Kate.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

When I arrived at Emerson Spice I was immediately struck by the likeness to the riads of Morocco. The building is beautiful from outside and in and this is only enhanced by the sympathetic décor. The communal places are gentle and inviting. The rooms are to die for, a riot of colour, plush furnishings and wonderfully individual. We had 2 rooms and both were opulent, stunning and comfortable. I can honestly say the beds were the most comfortable that I slept on in Zanzibar. The staff are delightful and very accommodating - they can't do enough for you. I highly recommend a stay at this hotel when visiting Stone Town as it is a true oasis in a bustling busy town.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We have stayed here several times and this little gem hits the mark every time. No place captures the magic of Zanzibar as well as Emerson - unlike any other hotel in the world. Looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Emerson Spice? Share your experiences!