We stayed for 2 nights in this very original hotel, full of history, excellent location in the middle of stone town, great staff, not too far away from the airport (15 minutes, although last few hundred meters you'll have to walk).
We got the Aida room, a family room with a nice terrace with view on the 'garden', this room offers great privacy, but when you're more interested in a view on the street life, you'll have to go for a room with a balcony at the front . Anyway we had a look at some other rooms and they all look great.
Breakfast is served on the rooftop terrace, we took also twice dinner on it, great food (five course), and a really nice setting... This place really gave us what we were expecting for... And is very romantic !
We booked 2 tours throughout the hotel, the first being a tour through stone town itself, which is always interesting as they let see you places you would never go yourself, second one was the jozini forest, which was a bit disappointing, ok you'll see the red colubus monkeys, but they're so easy to spot (we saw them 15 meters away from the road..) the rest of the 'tour' is about the mangroves and the forest, but they way our guide (we had to take one...) went through it was really not interesting, he was anyway half of the time on the phone...
We had the first day lunch in archipelago, good food, no alcohol (!) , the next day we went to the 'rock', a nice restaurant on a rock, 50 meters in the sea, nice and very original, food was great and of course the locaction is amazing...
Last advice, for sundowners in stone town go to the Africa house hotel (a former british gentlemen's club) and sit down on their terrace upstairs and enjoy the view (there was also some animation on the grass field in front of us when were there : capoeira and more .. Fun to watch)
We would if to come back to stone town, stay immediately again in this hotel, no discussion !!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Emerson Spice, a new Zanzibari experience. This labour of love is a journey into the transformation of a near ruin into a five star fantasy that can only be experienced on the beautiful Islands of Zanzibar. We have opened the cafe and Tea House restaurant and we now have 10 of our 12 rooms open to guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Emerson Spice reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Emerson Spice Hotel Stone Town
- Emerson Spice Zanzibar/Stone Town