“Restaurant a magical experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Emerson Spice

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stone Town
Emerson Spice
You added Emerson Spice to your Saves list
Tharia Street, Kiponda, Stone Town, Tanzania   |
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Stone Town
Edmonton, Canada
“Restaurant a magical experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This hotel's roof top restaurant was one of the highlights of our 3 week holiday to Kenya and Tanzania. We dined two out of the three nights to unique and innovative cuisine, with the magic of a Zanzibar sunset. Super value, great service, outstanding and unique cuisine and the sunset and stars as the backdrop - a must do in Stone Town.

On route up to the roof we peaked in several of the rooms whose doors were open and they are well done, light and airy. Proximity to several mosques and the market may make it a bit nosy but looks like a great historical old town experience.

Room Tip: Make reservations and the menu is adventurous so if you aren't willing to try something complete...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Emerson Spice is a magical place. The rooms are so beautifully furnished and the staff so helpful and friendly that I never wanted to leave. And the food.....the food served in the restaurant upstairs was so good that we didn't eat any where else.
If you are looking for some where to stay in Stone Town choose Emerson Spice. It is magical.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

... But let me see if can't find and come up with just a few ;)

I am in LOVE!
Seriously - that was how i felt, when i entered this absolutely outstanding place, which to me, is completely out of this world.

Not only the building, but also the people.
I have completely and utter lost my heart to Emerson Spice, with all what's there, the people, rooms, decor, views,food,- every single thing.

I'm considering this to be my second home now, with my new family.
The warmth which i was greeted from the very first moment i stepped into this place - smiles vider than the faces, handshakes and high fives,- i have never in my life felt more welcome, wanted or appriciated anywhere, than at Emerson Spice ♥

And the service is more than outstanding, from neverending patience and kindness in the neverending emailcorrespondance throu more than a year (Katia ♥), to the warm morning greeting by the very, very, very VERY handsome and pleasant young man (guess i've fallen a little in love :D ) at breakfast at the rooftop restaurant, to the smiling, joyful cleaning team, not to speak of the very, very, very, VERY handsome, welcoming guy(s) at the reception/entrance.
You all really did make me feel like a princess - and i thank you for that, from the bottom of my heart!

Even though i have been researching quite a lot on the different rooms, and therefor have seen ALL the pictures possible - i was more than overwhelmed and totally blown away, when i stepped into Violetta ♥ ♥ ♥
Tears suddenly appeared in my eyes, i got a 'little' emotional, because this room really did touch something in me.
Aswell as the amazing balcony, from where i found my peace in the dark evening, when digesting the experiences of the day.
That to me, was pure serenity.

The hole essence of this place, is not only because of the outstanding, awesome, amazing artful building and rooms, or the mindblowing, fantastic views from the rooftop restaurant, or balconies where one can enjoy the sounds of the everyday ST life, or the magnificent,loving, caring, warmhearted people that works at ES,- it's everything combined that makes this a place out of this world.

This place is to me a true palace, a palace where i got to be and felt like, a princess - and this experience will forever be kept in my heart, with gratitude.

Asante sana, all you people at Emerson Spice - you have all made a difference and a deep impact in this womans heart and soul, i'm so truly grateful.

Nakupenda ♥

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
babuemerson, Owner at Emerson Spice, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
I wish I were at such a loss for words! Your review is inspiring. The staff all remember you like family. From the moment you walked in, you felt like family. It was truly a delight having you as a guest. From our chat, I could tell that you too believe spaces are magic, and that we managed to show you some of our magic is especially gratifying. We hope you'll have the chance to visit again, but for longer next time. Welcome home. Tunakupenda.

Emerson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

What a way to kick off our Honeymoon!
The moment we arrived to Emerson Spice, we were treated to the most outstanding customer service. Having stayed at typical five star hotels around the world, they could never compare to this beautiful, down to earth, super enriching service.
The Belle room is to die for. We nearly had a heart attack when we were checked in and saw how much vision and great taste had been put into making this dream a reality. It has the an excellent romantic bed, open windows which look out onto a bustling little street, beautiful open shower/bath. The balcony is just superb - they are easily the nicest ever breakfasts we've had!
Both nights we enjoyed the roof top dinner. Set menu, and absolutely 5 stars once again. Gentleman, if you really want to turn on your other half - take them here, they will love you a thousand times more again!!!!
We went on the Spice Tour for a few hours, it was fantastic!
The place, the people, the food, the drinks, the atmosphere, the history, the culture, the richness and beauty of Emerson Spice really sets this place amongst one of the most amazing places you will ever stay on planet Earth. Well done guys, this is a true testament to Zanzibar.

All our love, and keep up the excellent work!
Jarrod and Cristina xx

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
babuemerson, Owner at Emerson Spice, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you so much for the review! We hope the rest of your honeymoon was fantastic. How can I describe the twinkle in your and your bride's eyes? Moonlight and stars? Here's to a long happy life together.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Staying at Emerson Spice is the way to go, if you want to feel like a Princess in the Sultan's Palace.

The room....OMG. Just look at the photos. My daughter's jaw dropped open when we walked in. Way more space than we needed for two people, but after a week on safari, a little plushness was in order.

Great breakfast in your room or on the balcony in the morning. Great location. My only complaint is that the restaurant was not open when we got there (7PM so not late but apparently not open every day of the week) and we realized very soon upon arriving in Stonetown with our guides that it is NOT safe for women to walk around alone at night. We went to bed verrrry hungry that night, as they had no food or snacks available and the nearest place was a walk through dark, unmarked alleys. FYI.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Princess,

Thank you for this glowing review, despite your hunger on the first night. You're a good soul. Our restaurant is closed Thursdays. And reservations are required the rest of the week, as we have few seats, 24 only, and we fill up most nights. I am truly sorry.

The staff escort our guests to other restaurants at night. It is no problem and a standard service for us. I don't understand what happened on your arrival. Did you not ask for help? We hope to see you again.
Koblenz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Emerson's is a unique and peaceful hideaway in the heart of the lively old town streets - and hard to describe with words. The staff is very welcoming and the service professional and wonderfully attentive. Every room surprises with its individual charme and elegance and is wonderfully decorated and equipped with useful amenities down to the smallest detail - as is the entire place. I recommend not to miss dinner and breakfast at the rooftop terrace..., the atmosphere is truly breathtaking and the food excellent and prepared and presented with love and care for the detail.

I booked a weekend at Emerson's on my own to escape from a stressful job in Dar es Salaam. My first impression: I couln't have picked a better place and absolutely loved my room 'Violetta'! Unfortunately I became the victim of a brutal assault just two hours after my arrival and a few minutes' walk away from the hotel. Some of that was my own fault I guess and even though Emerson said it had never happened to any guest before I strongly recommend Stone Town visitors better not to walk alone in the dark and more importantly not to carry any handbag and valuables along. Emerson himself and his entire team took care of me after that had happened and treated me like a friend, which helped to quickly overcome the shock and to preserve an excellent memory of my first trip to Stone Town.

I greatly enjoyed the place and staying with the people who fill this hotel with life and love. Emerson Spice hotel is very well situated and offers excellent value for money. I recommend this hotel as first choice for an unforgettabe stay in the heart of Stone Town!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Phenomenal. A beautiful, painstakingly restored premises with wonderfully attentive staff and a customer first ethos.

Every service touch was outstanding - from the little amenities box in the bathroom, to the stories behind each room, to the free laundry (unique in this price point).

Deserves every accolade.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Emerson Spice? Share your experiences!