I believe what Emerson Spice sets out to achieve is to allow their guests to experience Zanzibari hospitality and luxury accommodations true to the character of Stone Town. This they achieve with aplomb. You truly feel like you have been carried away to a bygone era of Sultans and Princesses and the privileges that came with an elevated status.
If you follow the stairs to the top of the building, you reach what is known as the Tea House. With stunning all-round views of Stone Town and open-air design, this is the place to wind down after a day of sightseeing. Here they also serve the best Margaritas in town! The Tea House doubles as the breakfast and on most evenings, dining area. For breakfast, fresh fruit and scrumptious options are on the menu, as well as really good plunger coffee.
The rooms are individually decorated and the layout changes throughout. I was initially in the Belle room and on my return in the Turandot room. The Belle is a large room with an informal sitting area, luxurious bath/shower and the most beautiful four-poster bed. The double volume ceilings and tasteful design leaves the impression of being assigned to a guest room in an opulent house rather than a hotel.
The Turandot is less spacious than the Belle, but more peaceful due to its location away from the street. It is tastefully appointed and boasts its own private verandah & open-air shower/bath.
What sets Emerson Spice apart for me is the attention to detail and exceptional service. The staff is attentive without being intrusive. The themed rooms & decorator comments makes you appreciate the thought & consideration that went into every room.
It should be noted that Stone Town is a vibrant and at times noisy town. Islam is the predominant religion and visitors to Stone Town should take this into consideration when planning their trip and wardrobe.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Emerson Spice, a new Zanzibari experience. This labour of love is a journey into the transformation of a near ruin into a five star fantasy that can only be experienced on the beautiful Islands of Zanzibar. We have opened the cafe and Tea House restaurant and we now have 10 of our 12 rooms open to guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Emerson Spice reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Emerson Spice Hotel Stone Town
- Emerson Spice Zanzibar/Stone Town