I'm a little surprised at the uniformly glowing reviews on tripadvisor.
This hotel is gorgeous, without doubt. The building is full of character, each room is decorated with care and elegance; it is probably the most beautiful building I've stayed in. The location too, in the heart of beguiling stone town, is superb.
The service, however, is a little ragged. Food, when ordered to our room on three occasions, took at least 40 minutes to arrive each time. When our air conditioning fuse blew in the middle of the night, the staff on duty (who were asleep on the floor of reception) had to be cajoled into doing something about it, and then couldn't find the fuse box. On another night, the bar staff left for home at 7:30pm because no-one had booked for dinner, leaving a number of guests trying (successfully but with some effort) to persuade the reception staff to provide some drinks.
All minor complaints, to be sure, and all complaints that the manager agreed to address. But a 2013 Tripadvisor winner? I expected a little better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Emerson Spice, a new Zanzibari experience. This labour of love is a journey into the transformation of a near ruin into a five star fantasy that can only be experienced on the beautiful Islands of Zanzibar. We have opened the cafe and Tea House restaurant and we now have 10 of our 12 rooms open to guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Emerson Spice reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Emerson Spice Hotel Stone Town
- Emerson Spice Zanzibar/Stone Town