“Gorgeous hotel, but sufferers from food allergies- beware!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Emerson Spice

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stone Town
Emerson Spice
Save Saved
You added Emerson Spice to your Saves list
Tharia Street, Kiponda, Stone Town, Tanzania   |
Special Offer
Autumn Special
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Stone Town
Malmo, Sweden
“Gorgeous hotel, but sufferers from food allergies- beware!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We spent two nights in the Mimi room and absolutely loved every second of it. The hotel itself is gorgeously decorated without being overloaded and stuffy, it rather gives you a feel of airiness and room. The rooftop restaurant had a fantastic setting and a magnificent view.

The food however was for my part the only letdown with this hotel. I suffer from several food allergies, which I was told by the staff when booking the room would not be a problem. Upon arrival, the staff confirmed the list I sent them on my allergies which was all well and fine. When it came to the actual dinner, they told me I was to be served the vegetarian options. I have nothing against vegetarian food, that is something I really enjoy- and I was especially looking forward to that meal since it was going to be prepared by a master chef. The food did not however live up to my expectations or even what would be normal standard.I am certain you can find better food in any restaurant elsewhere. It was sadly utterly disappointing and surprising that not one dish contained beans or lentils and the like- only vegetables. What made matters worse, was that I was served dishes containing foodstuffs I am allergic to on two occasions. I was not served any alternative, they simply removed the dishes I was unable to eat. All in all, I really recommend staying at the hotel- but eat elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed three nights in their huge Aida room. 7m high ceilings and a mezzanine floor overhanging with stained glass windows which contained two beds. A lobby off the master room contained another bed and a balcony. Magnificent net draped four poster bed with lion feet. You could tell this hotel was a labour of love.
The difference between good and great is attention to detail. This hotel had it all! From the box of amenities in the bathroom to the organic insect repellent spray on one of the side tables. A truly comforting gesture was the small mobile phone with direct dial back to the hotel which guests could take around town with them in case they got lost. Just lovely. Well located in the heart of stone town. On the day we arrived the hotel had organised musicians and stick dancers outside in the 'courtyard' of the hotel in honour of the holiday. I even loved the nearby muezzin who did his thing at 5 am every morning. The staff were terrific and even accompanied us through the maze of streets in search of door studs one day. We felt well cared for and safe and happy there. The only downside was leaving!

Room Tip: Emerson Spice's 'Aida' room was fantastic for families - or anyone really. We stuck our...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Emerson spice had possibly the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in. Very large with a huge bath and beautiful decoration. Can have breakfast on your private balcony which was a really nice touch. Restaurant was very good as well - the menu is fixed and very experimental, we went twice and the first menu was hit ans miss but the second was exceptional, easily Michelin star standard.

On the downside, the mosque opposite was deafening. Our room was right opposite the speakers. I know it is a Muslim island but to me the volume was massively inconsiderate - much worse than Cairo even! The hot water was also a bit of a problem - the room has its own water heater, which wasn't turned on when we arrived and if you wanted to use the huge bath you needed to fill it in 3 stages, allowing 5 minutes between each stage for the water to re-heat! And don't bother with the scones or muffins - they were very dry.

Overall then not perfect, but the problems can be forgiven for a beautiful room and an excellent meal. Would recommend to anyone who can bear the noise of the minaret opposite the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far from the mosque's speakers as possible
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Wiesbaden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We spent one night at the Emerson Spice Hotel in Stonetown last October before flying back to Germany. This was definitely not long enough and I know I will be back. This small hotel is perfectly charming, the service very attentive and friendly and the rooms all have a personality of their own. You can actually feel the love and dedication that must have been put into the renovation of the historical old town house.
The rooftop restaurant is also wonderful. You get a set diner with many courses, all very small and deliciously exoctic.
Although in the middle of the maze of little alleyways in old Stone Town it takes you only a 5-Minute-walk to get to the Fodhorani Gardens and the House of Wonders.
Really VERY GOOD and my favorite choice in Stone Town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My partner and I stayed here in early January 2013. This is a great experience hotel and staying here really enhanced our visit to Stone Town and Zanzibar.
I booked direct and all communications were efficient and accurate. They offered to have a staff member meet us at the ferry. Another staff member escorted us to a pharmacy.
Our room (Violeta) was large, beautifully decorated, cool, spotlessly clean, and just such a delight to walk into. And the verandah with day bed and hammocks, looking down on the street life below was an added bonus. The attention to detail showed that someone really cares about the guest experience.
eg.Its difficult to find your way around the maze of laneways and streets in the old town, so each room has a free mobile phone to take with you in case you get lost, and you can ring the hotel and someon e will come and get you. How thoughtful is that.
No two rooms are the same and each has a different theme.
I should also mention the roof top cafe where you can enjoy a fabulous dinner which is a must for interesting innovative cuisine. We thoroughly enjoyed it, and also the cafe in the lobby for lunch. Delicious food and some of the best we had on our East Africa holiday.
All this at very realistic prices, efficient and friendly service.
The staff are very very helpful.
This is a special hotel and we are so pleased to have stayed here.
It's in my top ten of hotel experiences.
Thankyou all so much.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
South Cave, East Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel on the final leg of our Hoheymoon. We picked it because it had top reviews on Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed. Just the opposite, it is like a gem in the streets of Stone Town.
We preferred this location because hotel is situated in the more "local" area of Stone Town.
We stayed in the Room Belle, and it was absolutely beautiful! We had a balcony overlooking the street. Decor of the room was amazing. We could not stop admiring this building and the beautiful decoration of every room, attention to detail is unbelievable.
Staff was very friendly, all the extra touches made it very special. We had breakfast served on the balcony with fresh fruit, juice and tea/coffee. On arrival they gave us a bottle of bubbly and a fruit basket. We had a very early departure, about 5am, but they still served us breakfast in the cafe area.
Hotel organised our tour guide to take us round Stone Town, and it was really worth it. His name was Solomon, so please ask for him!
We booked an evening meal on the roof top restaurant and what an amazing dinner that was! That night they had a complimentary wine tasting session with Mr Emerson himself, and it was a great pleasure to meet him!
The only downside is that there is a mosque very near, so be prepared to be woken up at 5am. It applies to the majority of hotels in Stone Town as there are about 45 mosques and they all use speakers to call for prayer. But don't let this put you off, this is a part of the overall experience!
Thank you Emerson Spice, we hope we can come back one day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

There's certain places you come across in life, that remain one of those lifetime experiences. Everything from the communcal tap outside the front door the local children used to fill their bottles to the beautiful spacious rooms makes this place special. My room overlooked a mosque, and the call to local prayers made this place memorable. Fit for royalty, thank you Emerson Spice for making one of my lifetime memories a joyous one. Dinner on the rooftop is a must!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Emerson Spice? Share your experiences!