I had stayed at Emerson Green ten years ago and while transiting through Zanzibar en route to Mafia Island stopped in for a night to see Emerson's latest place.
The reviews are spot on: this is a great place. Unusual, with character, central and with staff trying hard to please. My e-mails were promptly responded to. I had booked a transfer from the airport and I was glad I called to confirm as the receptionist sounded a bit unsure, but Solomon was there to collect me. He was also ten minutes early to collect me to bring me to the airport the next day and brought the dive bag I was unable to take to Mafia with me due to weight restrictions from the hotel to the airport as I transited before flying out of Tanzania. A very reliable man!
I was in Desdemona just below the rooftop restaurant. Great room and had the choice to breakfast on my terrace or on the roof. Very good breakfast (fresh juice, fresh plate of fruits, eggs, toast).
The only issue was checking out. I had made it clear the night before that I needed to leave for the airport at 8:30 AM, but there was no one to check me out. I had prepaid my room so the only issue was paying my transfers which I could have paid the driver directly, but somehow I had to wait ten minutes while they tried to find someone to come and collect my money. (Other guests I met at Mafia also told me that they had expected to find a receptionist in the early morning to give them directions to walk around town and were surprised there was no one.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Emerson Spice, a new Zanzibari experience. This labour of love is a journey into the transformation of a near ruin into a five star fantasy that can only be experienced on the beautiful Islands of Zanzibar. We have opened the cafe and Tea House restaurant and we now have 10 of our 12 rooms open to guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Emerson Spice reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Emerson Spice Hotel Stone Town
- Emerson Spice Zanzibar Island/Stone Town