“A rare experience...wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 28 Stone Town B&B and Inns
Kigali, Rwanda
“A rare experience...wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Hiliki House is simple, affordable luxury tucked in the back pocket of Stone Town. It is airy, restful and immaculately appointed with antique Zanzibarian furniture and yet feels like your very own living room as soon as you step through the door.
Whether you are travelling on a shoestring or living large in East Africa, the hot showers, free wifi and delicious breakfasts--fresh eggs and local fruits, breads and jams--are hard to beat.
And still, it is the staff's dedication to customer care that truly opens the door to Hiliki House, Stone Town and Zanzibar.
The manager, Moudy, is a warm and professional host. He met us at the port, showed us around town, introduced us to local food and culture, and organized our excursions. He has a natural gift and passion for hospitality.
As experienced travellers, we can testify that Hiliki House offers something rare. Like we did, you may want to extend your stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

122 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have always loved Hiliki House, from back when it was called by another name. The general principle is "it is like staying at a friend's house".

For their prices you would expect it to just be a place to lay your head down at the end of a long day of wandering the streets of Stone Town, but they have taken the time to include little details that make it more than that. On our second evening we stayed in and were able to enjoy peace and quiet in the living room all to ourselves. Their breakfasts are healthy and filling, and I somewhat boldly advised them to add spice tea, which I hear they now do. The honesty bar is great, especially if you don't feel like heading out but still want something to drink.

During my last stay (first time there in two years) there were a couple of minor hiccups (no one to check us in when we arrived, a few mosquitoes) but these were quickly sorted out by a guest who feels quite at home there (as we did), and we were able to enjoy our weekend at Hiliki House/in Stone Town with no fuss. Hiliki House is close to most places, and a short walk brings you right to the heart of Stone Town. As someone who likes 'small' establishments Hiliki House works for me as I do not like bustling lobbies and hotels with hundreds of rooms/guests. The other residents quickly become new friends, and the staff magically appear only when you need them.

If you are looking for a small, quiet space with a Zanzibari-chic feel, Hiliki House is it. It'll take someplace quite special to make me switch to another place when I'm in Stone Town... For now, my heart is at Hiliki House, and I look forward to my next trip to Zanzibar.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have stayed at Hiliki House on two separate occasions visiting Stone Town in Zanzibar. It’s a good mid-range option. Probably a bit pricey for travellers on a tight budget but if you want a bit of luxury but can’t afford steep hotel prices, this is a great and more affordable option. It’s a small property but beautifully decorated and spacious. The upstairs breakfast room is a great resting area and breakfast is plentiful with bread, pancakes, doughnuts, fruits, spreads and fresh coffee, tea and juice.

It’s in an ideal location, less than a 10 minute walk to the main sea front, shops and restaurants and management was very helpful and friendly so you can’t really go wrong here!

We booked spice tours and transfers to the north of the island via a tour operator a few doors on from the hotel and they were helpful and gave good prices too.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I arrived in Stone Town alone a few days before my friend - I was greeted by the charming Moudy at the door and ushered into the cool and beautiful house. My room was cool and clean with a lovely Zanzibar bed, great bathroom with hot shower. The staff were so helpful and friendly - organised my shared bus to Kendwa at a good price and even took me to the spice and meat markets which I might not have done alone! They welcomed me with coffee and free wifi today when I returned from the beach - but unfortunately can't stay there because it's fully booked! Nevertheless they helped me find another place! It's a little walk 5 mins from the centre but if you were a couple you'd be fine - this place is an absolute gem!

• Stayed April 2013
shinunakarume, Manager at Hiliki House, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Thanks Laura for your honest and objective review. Being a small and unique establishment in the stone town, with the view to provide good service and value for money, managed by locals (amazing Moudy), reviews such as yours are very helpful to visitors who are looking for nice and affordable accommodation in the Stone Town. Because of our small size and competitive prices, we can only depend on "word of mouth" to market Hiliki and in view of this, trip advisor has been a useful platform to market Hiliki. Ahsante sana
Korogwe, Tanga, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I really enjoyed staying in this charming hotel. Although our breakfast was a bit late on day and out air conditioner had problems, I really enjoyed being here. We paid $140 a night for 3 people (2 rooms) in March. The standout part of our stay here was Moudy, the manager. He was fun to hang out with, engaging, helpful, and always available. We got to learn about his life and see a window into being from Zanzibar, his English was excellent, and he was very attentive to our needs. On the first day we asked him about day excursions and he organized a number of outings or us at a cheaper price than we could have gotten at any tour place. Every time we had a complaint or suggestion he would fix the problem right away. I highly advise this place if it is within your price range (I don't know if it's a bargain stay, but it definately was an enjoyable place to be.) It's a great location for exploring Stone Town on foot- near beaches, restaurants, easy to get places, but not too loud.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I was so pleased I stayed in Hiliki House. The rooms are lovely, the location is great and the service is friendly. You really couldn't ask for more. It's a great spot for exploring Stone Town and I even benefited from a quick orientation tour of the town by Mohdi to help me find my bearings when I arrived. Oh... and it was the best shower I had in Tanzania.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here three nights in March and really found it perfect for what we wanted- reasonably priced, well located to walk around Stone Town and not too noisy. Our room was simple but lovely with A/C which normally I don't bother with but it was very hot when we were there so it was nice to have a cool room to retreat to when we wanted. The location is great, down a small side street so a little out of the middle of the action (which was good in our book as it was peaceful) but very easy walking distance to everything in Stone Town. We walked back in the evening and felt safe. Nice breakfast and nice common room as well. For the price this is a very nice place. We also organised a boat trip with staff here for some snorkelling, again great for the price we paid.

Room Tip: We had a room with separate toilet but it was still private and right across the hall so no worries...