“Clean and Tidy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mashariki Palace Hotel

You added Mashariki Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Mashariki Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nyumba ya Moto St., P.O. Box 3904 | Cn. 293, Stone Town, Zanzibar City, Tanzania   |
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Tokyo, Japan
“Clean and Tidy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed there for 6 nights to do business. The road toward the entrance was small and narrow and it was difficult to find the hotel. Once entering the hotel, I flet that this is well-maintained and well-organized. The room as well as public space was very clean and tidy. They served three bottles of minaral water every day as complementary. This was very helpful for me. The air con, the shower, and other electric appliances worked well. Internet is available in and outside the room although the speed is not international standard (but it is acceptable). I could enjoy breakfast and dinner on the roof with freshning breeze. The fresh juice is superb. The location of the hotel is perfect to access to the Governmental organizations, and restaurants. I did not have to use any transportations except for going to the airport. The staff there was friendly. The desk in my room was a little bit small to put both a lap top PC and a printer that I brought from my home. But I could manage to work well by putting a small table next to the desk.
Anyhow, I was really satisfied with the hotel. I could finish my mission on schedule. Thanks for the hospitality. I'd like to return to the hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank gogospringboks
silvanoalb, Proprietario at Mashariki Palace Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thanks a lot for your comments. This spur us to keep high our obbligations.
All the best from MasharikiPalace hotel staff.

yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We only stayed for one night, as part of a trip around Zanzibar. It was not long enough! This truly feels like like a royal palace. Beautifully restored and in a good location to explore Stone Town. Our room was so beautiful, and totally unique. We had cocktails on the rooftop bar, which looks over the town , and watched the sun go down. The breakfast was very good and the staff were polite and attentive at all times. We didn't eat dinner here, as we wanted to explore Stonetown, however the appetizers that came with our drinks were homemade and delicious. I really hope to return here for longer some day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank carol_pg
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights which was fantastic. We went for middle priced room which had upstairs and downstairs beds. Shower was fab very powerful and they gave us clean towels every day. Whole hotel was kept immaculate and staff were all very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great and had lovely view of ocean. We only ate one night in hotel and it was great v v tasty.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank colleen35
silvanoalb, Owner at Mashariki Palace Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Hello Colleen and thanks a lot for spending your time for writing your comment. On behalf of all of us a big huge ! Thanks again !
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The refurbishment done to this old building is remarkable. It's now a very comfortable hotel with excellent staff who are very attentive.
The food was average though and needs more thought and attention taking far too long to arrive and then isn't always what was asked for.
The position of the hotel is great and within walking distance to the various sights and places to see.
Stayed in a room that had a temple next to it which rang out at 6.15am in the morning, so if you like to sleep in, make sure you ask not to be put on that side of the hotel.
The rooms are fantastic, cool and modern. My only complaint is the shower. Very little pressure and not a great shower head. They should install a Grohe shower as they are the best and would give a fantastic showering experience coupled to a water pump, as I see them in most hotels around the world.
Amazing view from the upstairs bar and restaurant area of the harbour and ships going about their daily chores.
Sadly the hotel has no space for a pool, and in the heat it would have been great.
Loved my trip to Zanzibar and would stay at the Mashariki Palace again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Gary J
Thank you Gary for your appreciated comment. Yes you are right...we found the shower cap full of calcium... and this means we have to clean it not every month but every week! sorry for that.
All the best from Mashariki Palace hotel.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I spent the end of 2012 and start of 2013 is this magnificent, comfortable and beautifully renovated hotel. It was the holiday I needed amongst friends that I made in the enchanting setting of Stone Town. The hotel is centrally located, close to the main attractions in Stone Town. It has a gorgeous morning view, the rooms are beautifully decorated and the staff are the most courteous and friendly I have ever met. I had only booked three nights but ended up staying for 5 and spending a wonderful new year amongst friends. It is really magic to be in a hotel that feels like home. Thank you Sylvano, Graciella, Luiza, Sania, Sabastian and all my friends. I hope I can come back soon!

Room Tip: Every room comes with the special sounds of Stone Town
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sherine I
silvanoalb, Owner at Mashariki Palace Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Sherine..Sheriiiine....ciaooo! We miss you ! Thank a lot for your comment. All the best from MasharikiPalace Staff.
Manama, Bahrain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

As a newly wed couple, my husband and I went to Zanzibar and spent 11 nights at Mashariki for our honeymoon. We absolutely loved everything about this hotel. The design of the hotel is wonderful in capturing the feeling of a thousand and one nights. It is very well restored and beautifully furnished. The staff were super friendly and very helpful, and the owners who happened to be there during our stay were wonderful and attentive to our needs. Unfortunately I got sick with the flu and the hotel arranged for a doctor to come since I hardly left the room in 3 days. They were all very caring and would even call our room to make sure I was ok. They were all our little family during our stay and we created such wonderful bonds with the owners and staff. The hotel is super clean with modern toilets (which is very important in third world countries). The hotel is located close to a market, several restaurants, and a park all within walking distance. Be aware that Stone Town is a bit noisy in terms of the people talking loudly outside, so when in your room there are times when you will hear children screaming or loud salesmen. Nevertheless it's a wonderful experience to get away from the materialistic world of today. My husband and I plan on visiting again in the future and look forward to staying at Mashariki once again. Thank you to the Mashariki family for making our honeymoon one we will never forget.

Room Tip: Try and ask for a room that overlooks the garden or the hotel entrance, as the room we stayed at ove...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dana B
Dears, we would like to thank you for your stay with us. It looks you are still here when we pass in front of your room....of course...after eleven days!!!...and your sofa' is still there waiting for you again! All the best from your "zanzibarian" family! Ciao!
Dubai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We had one night at this overpriced and average hotel and I would not recommend it to anyone. We chose to stay here for 2 reasons..one was the glowing tripadvisor reviews and the other was the bed size that was advertised on Booking.com (a very large double bed and when you hover over that it says 181-210cm ie a UK king size). Plus when you are paying almost $300 a night you expect a certain standard. We stayed in 6 or 7 hotels or safari camps in Africa and this by far the worst experience of service and expectations not met.

First up, you will be dropped off by taxi about 4 minute walk from the hotels front door... you walk up these dodgy back lanes. Its like a bomb has gone off...rubble everywhere etc...while this is not the fault of the hotel, it doesnt lead to a good first impression.

The staff don't speak great English so when you have a problem or express a concern they are unable to comprehend what the problem is or what you are asking. Our first issue about the size of the bed (as opposed as what was advertised on booking.com) was not addressed. The hotel felt empty (i think there was only 1 other couple staying) which was due to the riots that have been going on in Stone Town, but they were still unable to address our unhappiness about the incorrect advertising of the bed size and understand the complaint OR how to resolve it. Because of this the quality of service you can expect is quite poor. The staff are also NOT helpful..they will watch you "lug" bags up and down the stairs from the front desk and not run to assist you. If I was staying in a backpackers hostel and paying less than $100 a night that would be fine...but this is meant to be a 4-5 star hotel and $300 a night...

I was expecting something "palatial" or like a Palace...and it certainly was a great dissapointment. After the entrance via "rubble" , Be prepared to walk up alot of stairs - The rooms are small, they are not stunning and not spacious as some of the other reviewers have said. There are not curtains over all the windows allowing light in and no way to stop that..and cheap fitttings for everything...(it certainly didnt "charm me" and the decor was not stunning or beautifully renovated or "special" in any way...at best a 3 star hotel experience...but for the price well over priced. It has lead me to think that some of these TA reviews are not genuine reviews and we were mislead.

The breakfast was very average...2 choices of fruit (pineapple and papaya) 3 average cereals and hot breakfast..Again the issue of English came up ...My breakfast order for an cheese, tomato and mushroom omelette came as a cheese omelette with grilled tomato and what looked like tinned champignon on the side. Not a big deal...but for something that is billed as "5 star and luxurious" it certainly wasnt that!.

My advice...is do not stay in Stone town....its not a nice place..lots of people lurking around...riots, police killed, tear gas etc...if you "have" to see Stone town..then do a day trip...that will be enough....I couldnt wait to leave this hotel or Stone town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
8 Thank DubaiDiva50
silvanoalb, Proprietario at Mashariki Palace Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear lady, ALL the revievs (good or not) are true and what you declare is a Defamation OFFENCE. The AWFUL Stone Town (as you said) is an UNESCO world heritage.The minimum international size for king bed is 150x200 cm. and we have high quality mattress. The ceiling of your room (n.12) is more than three meters height. You did not inform the receptionist to take down your suitcases. Regarding your 4 minutes walk from the parking to the hotel, I am looking for crane.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone Town
Essque Zalu Zanzibar
Essque Zalu Zanzibar
#5 of 18 in Nungwi
4.5 of 5 stars 439 reviews

Been to Mashariki Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!