We stayed here for two nights in August. The property was simple nice, and reasonably priced. We had a family room, which had a large queen or king bed and a twin in a separate nook. The room had AC, which was great (it did not get hot, but it did get humid), mosquito nets, a nice bathroom, a safe, and surprisingly, a flat screen TV! The neighborhood felt safe and was convenient to lots of attractions. It is right across the street from a co-operative that sells handmade goods and a more touristy shop that had pretty good deals on souvenirs. And, of course, our room had a fantastic door.
Judy (the owner) put a lot of info in the room about potential tours and excursions. Since it was Ramadan, she also gave us a list of restaurants that would be open during the day. We tried to go to the place she recommended for a spice tour, but it seemed a little sketchy (it was just some guy outside a clothing store who wanted to take us in his car for $25 pp...maybe we went to the wrong place??). We ended up walking over to Mr. Mitu's and booking something ourselves for much less ($12 for a half day (no beach) including lunch). They did arrange a taxi to take us to the airport at 6am, which was really nice.
The only thing that bothered me was that we did not get a good map of the surrounding area. We clearly got a photocopied version of a color map that was barely helpful. If you really need something, the shops around the cafe sell maps for $6 or so.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stone Town Cafe and Bed and Breakfast is located in Shangani on Kenyatta Road, just 2 minutes walk from most restaurants and tourist shops, 5 minutes from the Old Fort, and about 10 minutes walk through the narrow streets to Darajani market. Breakfast is served in the cafe downstairs which is open from 8am to 10pm. To book with us directly search Stone Town Cafe and Bed & Breakfast on your browser ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Stone Town Cafe And Bed And Breakfast
- Stone Town Cafe Hotel Stone Town
- Stone Town Cafe And Bed & Breakfast Zanzibar