“Great deal” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 29 hotels in Stone Town
Los Angeles, California
“Great deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The price is really great. Place is clean and close to all the attractions. Room was a bit small and the internet would only work sporadically. ToiletBreakfast was delicious, although I had to fight the flies away. I was annoyed when the airport pick-up wasn't there. I had changed my arrival time (came in the night before rather than the next day) and they did not update their information. I also asked for a late check-out and they refused despite the hotel seeming empty.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Warere, General Manager at Warere Town House, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Hi Melyssa, thank you for reviewing us! I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast and found we offer good value for money. I am sorry about the missed airport pickup, due to your last minute change of plans. We had a large group checking in the day you left, which is why we couldn't offer you a later check out. We do offer this whenever possible. We hope to see you again in the future!

223 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Turkish first
Jstern115
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed here for a total of four nights and I really enjoyed my stay. The staff is superb in every way and immediately made me feel comfortable. The hotel or "townhouse" is in an attractive Arabesque building, about a 5 minute walk from the center of town and 2 min to the ferry terminal. In general I felt safe walking to/from the hotel although I can understand why a solo female travler might be discouraged from returning late at night.

And the beds! Possibly the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept on.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hi Jstern115, thank you for taking the time to review us. We aim to provide classy and comfortable budget accommodation in Stone Town so we are really happy to read the title of your review! And the most comfortable beds you have ever slept on... wow! That is quite a compliment. Karibu tena!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Unfortunately we stayed here for only one night. We would gladly have stayed longer.

Warere is fantastic because of its style and decoration: this really is a town house, and it is beautifully and stylishly decorated. It feels like going back in time or stepping into another world. I enjoyed this because it is not just a bland place that could be anywhere in the world: this is really Zanzibar, and the Zanzibar from the old days at that.

Our room was very spacious with huge beds and a breezy balcony and the largest bathroom we've had in all of Africa. And warm water in the shower! Bliss.

Breakfast on the rooftop terrace was excellent and delicious. Staff very friendly and helpful.
The location was fine in our opinion: a couple of minutes walking into the center. Yes, the street is a bit dark and unlit at night but we (3 girls) didn't feel unsafe.

A lot of good stuff for the small sum you pay here! I would stay here again without a doubt if I ever go back to Stone Town, and then hopefully longer than just 1 night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear due_passi, thank you for your lovely review. We are really glad you enjoyed your stay with us, the huge beds and the breezy balcony off your room. We do hope to see you again if you every visit Zanzibar! Karibuni tena
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Pro:
- Room was spotlessly clean
- Shower had hot water
- Clean fluffy towels provided
- Good mosquito net (though there were no mozzies in my room)
- Nice soap provided
- Fan and air conditioning in the room
- Staff are very friendly and extremely helpful, they speak excellent English and can help with taxis/ tours etc
- Hotel arranged for me to be picked up at the airport, this was seamless and not expensive ($10)
- Credit card payment available with 5% charge, this was handy as I was nearly out of cash

Con:
- Whatever way the plumbing/ walls are done, you can hear your neighbours when they're in the loo. Not very pleasant when your neighbour has diarrhoea.
- There are signs up saying you can have dinner in the hotel if you order in the afternoon, however they wouldn't cook for me as I was the only one who wanted dinner. As a female travelling on my own I would have preferred to eat in the hotel at night rather than walk to a restaurant on my own in the dark.
- Apparently you are not allowed smoke on the roof terrace - even though it's on the roof!
- Rooms are fairly small but the price makes it okay

Overall I enjoyed staying here and I would consider it next time I go back to Stone Town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Warere, General Manager at Warere Town House, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Hi Holidayfan2010, thank you for taking the time to review the Warere. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We are glad you appreciated the little touches such as our lovely soaps in the bathroom and our new fluffy towels! I wanted to address your concerns:

1) We are aware of the problem with the plumbing in the bathroom and we will be fixing this in May when we undergo minor renovations.
2) We offer an affordable dinner option ($10 for a main, dessert and a drink), but unfortunately we have found that cooking for only one person ends up costing us more than the price of dinner, so we have had to put a minimum 2 person limit on dinner.
3) Smoking on the terrace is allowed, this must have been a misunderstanding!
4) We also have large rooms with balcony which are slightly more expensive but are much more spacious!

Karibu tena when you are next in Zanzibar!
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed for couple of nights before heading to the east of Zanzibar. The room was great (room 15), but be aware that you can hear your neighbours when they're in the bathroom.
It is well located close to the harbour and the old town. The night food market is just 5min walk.
The staff is helpful and very nice. They can easily arrange for your transfers or transport needs.
And the rooftop terrace seals the deal. Great to have breakfast and great to relax in the evening having a cold beer in your hand.
Worth staying in, great value, recommendable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Wand1981! Thank you for reviewing the Warere! We are aware of the issue with the bathroom sounds and we will be fixing this during the month of May when we will be carrying out minor renovations. Otherwise I am really glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Karibuni Tena!
Mwanza
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and would heartily recommend it. The hotel is handily placed for the ferry terminal (make sure you get instructions for the short walk, though!). It has a lot of character and though the rooms are small, a good deal of effort has gone into making them comfortable and clean. The staff are very helpful, there is a nice eating area on the roof of the hotel, and it is very reasonably priced.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Frank, thank you for your lovely review! We hope to see you again in the future!
Aarhus,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I spend six nights at Warere Town House, and it was all I hoped for. Perfectly situated right next to the harbour, and still a little off the beaten track. The staff was very welcoming and I felt safe and comfortable at once.
I very much enjoyed having a small balcony, facing the yard with palms, flowers, and people passing by. I would recommend this place for anyone looking for a nice and affordable accommodation in Stone Town.

Room Tip: There is reduced prices, for doubles used as singles.