“A must visit!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Bloubergstrand, South Africa
“A must visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Having just returned from a 3rd visit to the island, it was my first time at the Forodhani Gardens. What an experience! Don't have lunch on the day you go! The choices are endless, the Zanzibar pizzas amazing, the sea food to die for and the general atmosphere a 'do not miss' occasion. The locals are beyond friendly and hospitable. "seeing a tourist coming' happens anywhere in the world and it is up to you to shop around and/or negotiate price. Highly recommended!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Cape Town
“good vibe, Local food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We went to Forodhani gardens straight from the airport after flying for 8 hours, so i didn't appreciate it as much as I should have. Luckily we were with locals otherwise we would have been charged 10 x the 'local' price.

Cats everywhere and lot's of people trying to sell you everything under the sun. Food was average, but it was a good experience. Very vibey!

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
“Definitely worth a visit !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

We popped along one night after sunset and the atmosphere was magical !

We tried a selection of food from different vendors, including fresh fruit and sugar cane juice.

The majority of the vendors all sell the same food but prices vary , so confirm what you want and how much you are paying beforehand. Vendors are also prepared to drop the price so be prepared to haggle !

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Moshi, Tanzania
“Awesome location, but don't eat there!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I love Forodhani Gardens. It is one of my favorite places in all of Zanzibar. Beautiful gardens and views of local scenes...but as much as I love it...I have vowed to never eat there again! Every time that I eat there, me or one of my guests gets sick! We haven't pin-pointed exactly what it is that makes us sick...the seafood, meat, sugar cane juice, ice or zanzibar pizza...it's too bad because I will truly miss it, but I know my GI will thank me.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Kings Beach
“Big time scammers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I have never had a bad experience here....because I have always been with locals. Watch out of you look like a tourist or are a tourist! Tonight, I grabbed another lady who was here working in Zanzibar and headed down for a quick bite. I know the prices and have never had to bargain in the dozens of times I have been here. We ordered a normal plate of fish and sides each and after eating our meals the "owner" of the table walked up to us and told us we had to pay him an outrageous amount - 4X the normal price. I argued that I knew the prices and this was not even in the range .....I asked him to write down the prices and his name and attached the bill below. What recourse do you have in a place where there is no one owner, no security, etc? Especially when you are two ladies? Of course we paid. One other table had prices on cards on all the same food we ordered - also took a picture and attached below. They were the prices I knew and a quarter of what we were charged. There is nothing really to do with this information because no one is in charge. Just watch out or just don't bother going there. Its not worth being scammed or harassed!

Visited November 2013