“Should have been the highlite” 3 of 5 stars

Al Johari
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   116 Shangani, Stone Town, Tanzania   |
Ranked #23 of 30 hotels in Stone Town
Hamina, Finland
“Should have been the highlite”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

We are more than happy about the restaurant service. The cook makes perfect food. The waiters and waitresses are polite. We don't usually give tips but in this restaurant we felt like it. The room was ok, the shower sewer didn't work properly. This was a minor problem though.

The biggest, and almost the only problem was that we are still missing 200 USD. We had some cash in our back bags (hidden among dirty clothes) and somebody took 200 USD (we didn't count the shillings...). After we noticed it, we told the general manager about it. He promised to pay the ammount back. No police, it's only bad publicity to them. We believed. Nothing has happened within last 5 months... Ok, it was our own fault? In his words it has happened before too (once). Avoid this hotel.

A couple from Finland

Room Tip: Make sure your shower works. Noises from stairs might bother you after the restaurant closes.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011 via mobile

Spent here a week, for business very good hotel in stone town level, the food is good but not in high standard.
The hotel building is old, so no elevator, we were in the top floor below the kitchen so noise at 7am just above our room woke us up...
The staff is very helpful and the room was cleaned twice a day.

• Stayed October 2011
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

The hotel is close to Serena and we had dinner at Serena. Staff at Al Johari were friendly and helpful. Bathroom was terrible as water leaked everywhere from shower, glad we only stayed one night. Also had two single blankets! Can hear noise from below(it was Eid so ppl were out and about) so if you dont mind walking up more stairs get a room on a higher floor.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Lower Zambezi National Park, Zambia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

My 5th trip to Zanzibar in 4 years saw me wanting to try a new place in Stonetown.. I decided to try Al Johari - they are always advertised around the island, and I gave into my curiosity, despite some previous bad reviews. I spent 2 nights previous at Stonetown Cafe B&B, and opted for 2 nights there and 1 night at Al Johari due to Al Johari costing me twice the price! Both gave me discounted rates due to me visiting during the long rains.
The hotel itself - in the public areas... is lovely - check in was handled efficiently, and I was then taken up to my room ( a Junior Suite). Furnishings were quite luxurious, though I would not say the room is spacious by any means. I'm glad there was just myself, and not 2 guests staying. The bed was comfortable (as were the pillows), though I was frustrated at having 2 single duvets on a Queen-size bed - each time I rolled over, I got cold!
The bedside lamps had some problems with their connection - each time I reached to turn it off, when the cord moved the slightest amount, it would flicker on and off a number of times, and give that nasty "zzzzzp" noise that doesn't really inspire confidence.
The en-suite bathroom was nicely appointed with glass basin and a shower only (for that price, I'd really like a bath as well). The shower leaked terribly - the screens were not siliconed to the wall, so any water hitting the screen pretty much ended up on the floor outside the shower. I also ended up wading in a shower base of water/soap by the end of my shower as the drainage was quite slow. I know in buildings the age of these, plumbing can be quite a hassle, but it detracted from the image of the whole hotel.
The restaurant was really nice - a rooftop affair, with great views across the water. I had a pasta dish that really did live up to my expectations, and I was sorry I wasn't in Stone Town longer to try more of their food. I also had a chocolate dessert that was top notch.
There was wireless internet available throughout the hotel - in the rooms and the restaurant. They just ask that if you go to the restaurant to use the internet, that you buy something while you are there.... so its a handy spot for a meal and internet use!
So - to sum up... great restaurant with WIFI, niceish rooms, but the shower was a shocker... I would not recommend this hotel on the basis that I paid half as much at another hotel during the same stay, for an experience that was 200% better.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

I was looking for a clean hotel with reasonable price. Since it was low season, the owner discounted a price for a good quality room. I was very surprised the cleanness, decoration and bigness of the room. The breakfast was well prepared and good taste. The only thing I didn't like was a little bit salty water for shower...But without it, it was perfect!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Our itinerary for our trip was changed at short notice and we are very glad it was! The Al Johari is a wonderful hotel in the heart of Stone Town's old district. All the sights of the town are within walking distance and they have a restaurant on their roof which serves delicious food with wonderful views. The spiced coffee with breakfast is a must. The best I tasted in Zanzibar. The rooms are airconditioned and have fridges and flat screen tv's. All the furniture is old style with mosquito nets over all the beds. Our shower had a bit of a leak but otherwise everything was clean and neat. The decor is very tasteful. There is no lift but the porters do carry your luggage to your rooms. All in all, we wished we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Macau, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

We had five days at Al Johari in late September/October. It is not 5 star and, if you've enjoyed (and/or need) the high end beach resorts available elsewhere on the island, then perhaps Al Johari will fall short of your expectations. But if you are looking for location location and convenience to explore the historic town with comfortable surrounds and accommodating staff then the hotel will be an option. Yes there is no elevator - we were on the third floor - and the restaurant and bar are on the fourth floor but it was never an issue for us. And no we didn't carry our own 30kg luggage. We loved the hotels proximity to the vibrance of Stone Town with a short stroll to the waterfront, the many restaurant options, the daily local market, the historical buildings, and many shops - all those narrow winding laneways which demand you explore. The decor is in keeping with a restored merchant's house and our room which looked into local living rooms complete with the cooking smells came complete with a 5 am alarm (the local call to prayer) and the accompanying roosters but we think that is all part of the experience and the charm (and we are not easily pleased). We found breakfast adequate and whilst th choices might be restricted the staff were eager to ensure you were satisfied or that your eggs, etc were as ordered. A special thank you to Salum who from our first contact/inquiry went out of his way to ensure we had the best driver, day trip, etc.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Al Johari? Share your experiences!