“Exceeded My Expecations In Every Way!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Manyara Ranch Conservancy

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Manyara National Park
Manyara Ranch Conservancy
You added Manyara Ranch Conservancy to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Lodge   |   92 Haile Selassie Road | P.O. Box 2590, Arusha, Lake Manyara National Park, Tanzania   |
Seattle, WA
“Exceeded My Expecations In Every Way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

When my driver pulled up to the ranch, I immediately thought he must have taken me to the wrong place. We seemed to be in the middle of nowhere, and there was nobody around. Then out of no where, the manager and staff arrived to greet me. They walked me back to the main tent, and I was taken aback. This was unlike any camping I have ever done! There was a gorgeous tent with beautiful furniture right here in the middle of no where!

After giving me the run down, I was brought to my "tent" and again, was taken aback. This place was gorgeous and clearly unlike any tent I have ever stayed in! There was running water, including hot water and a flushing toilet, and 24 hour electricity. The room was very tastefully decorated and even included a nice terry cloth robe, flashlight, umbrella, and slippers! They have really thought of everything.

Even though I was the only guest staying there, the staff never made me feel like I was a burden. They waited on me hand and foot. We went on an hour walking safari which was gorgeous, and then had a campfire to watch the sun go down. The manager and his wife (a lovely couple) even joined me for sundowner drinks and dinner.

After dinner and some more cocktails (all meals and drinks are included) we went on a night game drive which was also a first for me. We spent a little over an hour going off road looking for nocturnal animals.

Overall, this was an incredible experience and with only 6 tents, it is very intimate and personal. I would definitely recommend this place and will return when I come back to Tanzania.

Room Tip: With only six tents to choose from, you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The opportunity arose for us once more to return to Tanzania. We had heard of this new style camp in it's embrionic stage. So it was fabulous to see it well established. We were fortunate to stay three nights and then another on our return from Ngorongoro Crater.The camp is small and intimate. There are six guest tents that are beautifully spacious,comfortable, well furnished and serviced. Piping hot water comes out of the shower which is so welcome after the dusty journeys, we experienced. The staff are superb and can't do enough to help. The tents are clean have white linen and fresh towels daily.

The Mess Tent was welcoming. In the evening we spoke to other visitors exchanging experiences of the day and enjoyed an appetising meal.Conversations would often continue around the camp fire afterwards. At breakfast we ate outside the tent watching lovebirds,sparrows and squirrels at the bird-table, whilst the Go-away-bird would be above them in the tree squawking just that!
Our walking safari was extremely informative.The guide was very knowledgeable and we felt quite safe with a Massaii askari who walked with us.
One evening we had our dinner outside our own tent when we spent our time trying to guess the night noises by candlelight.
Game drives were just that much more exciting because we were able to go off road following wildlife, rather than watch them from the road in a National Park. On our last night lion tracks were right outside our tent. Gave us that scary but exciting feeling.Lions, elephant, zebra were often close to camp but were happy to accept us as respecting visitors. A late afternoon gamedrive would end with a Sundowner in a beautiful place with a sundowner before we returned to camp.
A great experience, yet relaxing and luxurious. A return is definately in our diary.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The luxury tent accommodations are almost too good to be true. They offer everything a nice hotel room has with the addition of being right out under the stars. The ranch is staffed very well and the safari guides were extremely friendly and enhanced the experience. The food was as good as any five star restaurant I've been to. They have all of the details down. For instance, when we were out on safari one afternoon, we were sitting in a hut at the watering hole watching the animals and they brought out fresh tortilla chips and guacamole. They also had any beer or wine we wanted to have. The guides got to know all of us, making the experience very comfortable. The experiences I had at the ranch were some of the best moments of my life. I have been on other safaris but the opportunity to experience wildlife in such an intimate environment is unparalleled. On most safaris you are one of several vehicles chasing after different groups of animals. At the ranch, you are alone with several animals at once and can relax and enjoy your time.
I cannot recommend Manyara Ranch enough. Tanzania is a spectacular place and Manyara makes it an irreplaceable experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Norfolk, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Spent two nights here at end of October, next time we come we aim to spend at least three days. Ruan and Svenja manage the place extremely well and there's a nice pleasant atmosphere. Because you're not in a National Park driving and walking safaris are not restricted, the early morning walking safari was a real highlight for us, getting close to elephants and spotting lion and snake tracks. There's a lot of wildlife about including kudus and a resident lion pride, giraffe, buffalo etc and also a lot of birds, even around the camp. Ruan is incredibly knowledgeable about the local flora and fauna and added greatly to all the safaris we went on. We finished one late afternoon safari with sundowners at a bar Julius and co had set up in the bush. Meals were excellent and it was nice that the managers ate with us as they were very good company. The tents are all quite separate, are very luxurious inside with hot showers and flushing toilets. They have verandahs with seating and we enjoyed morning coffee there as we watched wildebeest and zebra pass close by. The staff and service were excellent throughout our stay. We didn't try the horse-riding but other guests who'd gone out with Svenja and a guide told us it was well worth it. My partner is Tanzanian and she absolutely loved it here, she said it was much more like the camping she'd done in the bush when she was younger, although also much more luxurious. I'd recommend visiting their website so you can read up about the conservation that goes on here. Hopefully there's a great future for places like this in Tanzania, it's certainly top of my list of places to return to - I need to see those wild dogs.

Room Tip: All tents are quite separate from each other, with a good distance between.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on my latest trip, great little private camp which offers alot - game drives, walking and even the chance to ride a horse among the wildlife.

The tents were nicely done, service good, food nice but portions small - I would like a wildebeest leg next time please, was paying enough for the whole animal I'm sure!

Also was a great base to use to visit Tarnagire and Manyara National Parks and then have somewhere small, private and out of the way to return to after a hard days game viewing.

Happy travels
Peter

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Christiansted, St. Croix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We spent one night at the conservancy. Too little for certain. Plan for more, and enjoy the small camp environment with lovely hosts, a South African and his beloved from Germany. Excellent staff and service. Wonderful environment. Sit on your porch and watch the zebras, giraffe, gnus, and elephants walk by. Loved it.

Room Tip: There are not many rooms....but all seem excellent.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsford, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We spent about 2 full days at Manyara Ranch-we arrived from another camp to a wonderful lunch outside under an acacia tree-absolutely great food- you never expect this in the middle of nowhere. That afternoon we went on a walking safari around the conservancy with Rowen and a Maasi warrior as our guides and protection- what a treat to walk rather than be in a land cruiser all day. Rowen explained the plants and their uses by the Maasai. We came up fairly close to elephants before they saw us- slowly left- saw new birds, other animals and the elusive kudu. We drove around the conservancy with our own guide where we were rewarded with the siting of many animals in a very varied landscape. The lodging was simple but very comfortable with beautiful surroundings and our own stone oven in the back to provide heated water in the morning and at night. The next day at night we drove around the ranch to see the nocturnal animals with Rowen and a Maasi tracker- we were rewarded with some nice sitings- hyena with its prey, a genet cat, kangaroo rabbits, an eagle owl and some others.
This place is a treat to add to your safari plans.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Manyara Ranch Conservancy? Share your experiences!