“Pool” 3 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 16 hotels in Watertown
“Pool”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

It was an okay hotel for the price. There was a stain on the carpet and the room smelled of urine. The air conditioner did not work properly and the smell was worse when it was on. We were in a non smoking room and area, but the smell of smoke in the hallway was terrible. Bathroom was very clean and we had ample supplies of soap and shampoo. Good breakfast and a real nice heated indoor pool. The staff was also very nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

From the road this looks like an old run down motel... And it is. But I have to say, that for the price you pay there are some surprising pluses to staying here. First, the staff (all of them) were incredibly friendly and genuinely kind. We called the front desk to ask for a restaurant suggestion and we were directed to a very nice place, given details about it and had at no time been made to feel like we were bothering them. The room was really old but VERY clean as was the hallway and pool. Now, I've stayed at a couple of really expensive hotels and I have to say, this was not only the CLEANEST pool, but it was actually HEATED to an acceptable temperature. We have an infant, and freezing cold water really does not appeal to her, or the rest of us. This was the only place we have stayed where we could swim and enjoy it. It was wonderful. We enjoyed a free continental breakfast, nothing fancy, but free, clean and well attended to. We came to breakfast a half hour before it ended to find everything stocked, and neat. Even though there were a lot of people eating there at the time, we were still able to find a table for the 4 of us. The only real negative was that the faucet handle in the bathroom was stuck on hot. No big deal until you're brushing your teeth. I would take this place over some of the more expensive places I've been any day. The pluses were worth it.

Room Tip: Get a room near the pool, its close to the breakfast room also.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Was pleasantly surprised by this hotel The room was not fancy but it was clean and quiet and air worked well For the location and price I will stay there again. Pool was great and breakfast was part of the price and got us on our way.

Room Tip: I stayed in the pool building and it was great
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I booked this hotel through Choice Hotels and two days before my booking I received a call from Mary (front desk) saying that they needed confirmation of my employment to lock down the rate I receive through Choice Hotel's online booking. I book with Choice Hotels weekly and have never had any issues with my reservation. They said they could not honor my reservation even after I gave them all my employment information. I asked over and over again to speak to the manager and they would not let me. The manager (Priscilla) would not come to the phone, although I heard her in the background “hiding” behind her front desk employee. I will continue to book with Choice Hotels, but never with this Econo Lodge. To be honest I was a bit suspicious to stay there in the first place. I would not waste your time with this unprofessional staff. With the way they treat people, I could only image what their habits of maintenance are like.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed at the Econo Lodge Watertown on Saturday April 13th 2013 and our parents were across the hall. We were all awoke at 2:00 2:30 AM bout lots of yelling and fighting in the hallway. Apparantly it was a party gone wrong. The noise continued for some time and the front office contacted. The desk person was coming over to evict the noisemakers.
The office is in another building at least 500 feet away and DOESN'T have closed circuit camera monitors of the actual hotel area. We came to find out there are camera's but the system is set up in the maintenance room in the hotel buildings not the front desk. Makes sense right ?
A simple wireless feed to the desk area would fix this and realisticly should already exist.
We have stayed at this hotel almost yearly for a number of years and were really disappointed in it. They usually had been very good about seperating the potential partiers from the average traveller. Another guest told us we only heard the 1/2 of it as it had been an ongoing party since 10:00 PM
Next time we are in Watertown I think we'll spend the extra $$$ and stay at the Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn Express

Room Tip: pick another hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Napanee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife and I had stayed at this motel on several different occasions and found it to be a pretty decent place to stay.However, this past weekend proved to be the exact opposite experience.The odor upon entering the the room was like a punch in the face. We were awoke our first night with the fire alarm going off at around 1 AM..we can only assume some idiot pulled the alarm for fun.The second night we were woke at around 3 AM with people partying and fighting right outside our room.To top it all off,the cleaning staff avoided our room,there were no fresh towels, linen or anything else.Needless to say, we will not be returning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you just want a bed for the night and at a reasonable price, this Econolodge will do. My room was pretty drab and showing its age, but it was clean and the bed was comfortable. The bath room was no more than adequate and the tub shower was pretty antiquated — but I managed.
The morning's continental breakfast was again adequate but unexciting. I noticed unopened baking goods stacked in cartons in one corner of the room. When I had breakfast the food counter had run out of bagels, and I had to settle for an English muffin. Just I was leaving an employee arrived, went to a supply box, and retrieved a package of bagels for the counter, but it was too late for me — and anyway, how long had those unopened packages been sitting there.
However staff members I dealt with seemed friendly enough.
My big reservation was with the security. You actually check in in a small office in a separate building at the front of the property on Arsenal Street. Then there's a long driveway leading to the buildings. At night you're very aware of their remoteness from the bustle of the street, also of the darkness. The positive side of this is that you're away from street noise. The negative side is that my building was wide open to anybody, not just registered guests. I would have assumed my building would have locked security entrances which could be accessed with my room key. But this was not the case. Especially at night an unwelcome intruder would therefore be able to freely, and without detection, enter the guest-room corridors. Potential guests, especially women travelling alone, would be wise to take note of this

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!