“Relaxing dinner!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 135 Restaurants in Watertown
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Join us at the Great American Grill where a friendly staff is eager to serve you. Relax in our warm, inviting atmosphere for an intimate yet casual dining experience. Executive Chef Matthew Hudson has created an eclectic menu featuring an array of fresh, prepared-to-order selections that are certain to please.Unwind, indulge and join us for dinner for a masterful dining experience. A list of well-executed dishes by Chef Hudson include appetizers; from Maryland Style Crab Cakes, Shrimp Cocktail, Tomato Bruschetta to Spinach Artichoke Dip. Entrées include Chicken Marsala, New England Style Haddock, USDA Choice Steaks, Fresh Seafood and satisfying Pastas dishes. A selection of sweet treats and house-made desserts are always available to satisfy your sweet tooth.Join us for lunch and experience our famous, handcrafted Mobley burger, homemade soups, fresh salads, quesadillas or wraps. Seasonal patio dining, daily specials and a full-service bar and lounge make us an ideal choice for any occasion.
“Relaxing dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed the nice atmosphere! Nice linens on the table but not too expensive for a family dinner. Great casual menu with lots of variety. Food was delicious and nice presentation. Our waitress needed several reminders and was hard to find at times, but still would recommend this to those in the area with larger parties.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I had some time before a appointment so i decided to have Breakfast at the Great American Grill . I was surprised to see it was Buffet Style. It was above and beyond my expectations. The omletts were phenomenal. The specail was Pancakes with hot apples and they were the best I have ever had. This will definitely be our Breakfast spot for Sunday mornings after church. I highly recommend it. (:

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Wine N Gourmet Weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

With a 6:30 pm dinner reservation for the Wine N Gourmet Weekend we thought we’d be treated specially but with a greater than expected turn out for their first event we were shown to a small table with a cold draft from the entrance doors.
My seared scallop appetizer was good but the tiny bits of grit on one of the scallops detracted from the flavourful salsa that the chef had prepared. The salads which accompanied our entrees were average and required a fork and knife to cut the lettuce into bite size pieces. I gave my husband the huge rings of red onion that were perched on the top of my salad and he thoroughly enjoyed his salad. My crab cake entrée was nice with a delightful Cajun sauce drizzled over it. Three or four smaller unflattened cakes instead of the two huge flat ones might have improved the dish by allowing the crab to remain moist in the center of the cake. My husband had the halibut. He said the top crust was soggy and should have been left under the flame for a minute or two more. Neither one of us had room for dessert because the portions were so large.
Saturday morning we tried the made to order breakfast which included some buffet items in the coupon. My husband had a western omelet with cheese that must have been a three egg omelet it was so large. My scrambled eggs were good, fully cooked the way I like them but they were cold on my plate within a couple of minutes. The toast was slow but very good once it made it through the machine. I tried the bacon and sausage links which were cooked nicely. The home fries had a very tasty spices and didn’t require ketchup.
The cooking demonstration and dinner on Saturday night was the piece de resistance. The first course of Seared Duck Breast with Bacon and Corn Salad had melt in your mouth duck and a sassy corn, bacon salad. The wine pairing was Coyote Moon’s “Twisted Sister” which was surprising in its complexity and it paired nicely with the duck. Executive Chef Matthew Hudson seemed at home in front of a crowd and managed to keep everyone’s attention through some technical difficulties. The duck was expertly cooked to still show pink in the center and was still warm when served. It was a pleasure to sink my teeth into it. The second course of Baby Spinach with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette and Peppered Goat Cheese was flavourful but the coughs in the audience were an evidence of the slightly excessive use of black pepper on the goat cheese. We speculated at my table whether the use of less black pepper or a pink and black pepper mix might have been more appropriate. The Otter Creek “Aurore” was a good choice. A milder wine would not have been able to stand up to the pepper. The third course of Lemon Sorbet was tart and tangy as you’d expect and did the job of a palate cleanser well. I liked the addition of slice of mint leaves. The fourth course was Pork Tenderloin with Cheddar Cheese Grits and Cherry Demi Glaze was lovely. The pork was just done medium well and the glaze was full of flavour. For the first time in my life I enjoyed eating grits that were full of flavour and paired well with the pork. The Thousand Islands’ “Gewürztraminer” was a good choice and the spicy notes in the wine balanced the pork well. The fifth course is where the Hilton Garden Inn showed their level of professionalism to me. I’m allergic to chocolate so before the dinner I spoke to Executive Chef Matthew (I didn’t realize it was the chef at the time but he was very accommodating )and told him of my concern. He assured me that an alternative dessert would be prepared and it was delivered with the other desserts seamlessly. I am sure that the “Chocolate Mousse parfait with Fresh Berries” was delicious since the version I had without the chocolate mousse was delightful and satisfying. The Vendetti Vineyards “Vino Rosso E Dolce” was not to my taste but my husband thought that it was very tasty.

Breakfast on Sunday morning was tasty with a nice variety of fresh fruit and juices available. My husband and I tried poached eggs and while I was disappointed that they didn’t have any hollandaise sauce the preparation was perfect. I asked for the whites to be well done and they were.

Visited January 2013
Canada
“Dinner at the grill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Busy, but service was very good. Adequate portions. Food was good -- my wife had the fish special; I had the crab stuffed shrimp.

Visited January 2013
kingston, ny
“Could Have Been Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My friends and I had dinner here recently and found the experience a little disappointing. They have little candles and decorations on the tables, but the restaurant still looks like a coffee shop. The lobby and banquet rooms are clearly visible so the atmosphere is far from initimate. The server we had, while pleasant, was agonizingly slow and lacked any finesse. On the other hand the menu is rather upscale and a little expensive. When delivered the food was nicely presented and well prepared, but it was all cold! (At that point we had already waited so long we feared sending everything back would delay us past even wanting dinner!) If the food had been hot it would have been very good, but it suffered from the cool temperature. Dinner for two (no dessert) with one cocktail each came to just over $60 plus tip. We will probably not be returning.

• Visited January 2013