“Surprisingly Clean” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 16 hotels in Watertown
Ottawa, Canada
“Surprisingly Clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed here for one night with my fiancé, we stopped here to get some rest from our drive. Our first impression was pretty good. The lot was clean and looked well maintained, and plenty of parking spaces. Once we entered the building the lobby caught us off guard. It seemed a little neglected, and shabby. It was evident that the building was old. We were greeted by a lady a the front desk, she was friendly and efficient with the check in. Once we arrived to our up stairs room, we were shocked to see how small it was. Although once we got settled it wasn’t as cramped as we thought it would be. We inspected the room to make sure everything was ok, and to our surprise it was actually very clean. Dated, but clean. We had a queen bed, non-smoking room. Which came with a fridge, microwave, iron, TV, and safe. The only problem we had with our room was that the AC didn’t seem to work, and we had to sleep with the window open. Since our room faced the main street it made it very loud at night.
Overall we were satisfied with our stay. And if needed be we would return to stay for a night.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Trixie L, Manager at Watertown Budget Inn, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Budget Inn is now under new Management and we are working hard to ensure that future stays here are comfortable and relaxing. We have affordable rates and Larry and I (Trixie) pride ourselves on our excellent customer service skills. I hope that next time you come through the area you will stop in and see us and give us a try!!

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Hermon, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

This is one of those things that I actually can semi laugh about at this time, but it sickens me still. I am very clean and neat as a pin. We needed a layover as we were moving items from our NY home to our NJ home. We had a rental truck booked and it was about 11:00 pm when we arrived in Watertown. This place being the closest to our rental truck, we booked the room for $80.00, what a mistake. It was filthy. The bed, the floor, the curtains, the frig you name it. I started to dry heave when I went into the bathroom and instead went outside. My husband kept saying it's only one night. I couldn't use the shower either, it was filled with mold and it stunk to high heaven. Cigarette butts, beer bottles littered the room. The lady in the office was pleasant, but that was the only decent thing about this stay. It looked like a crack house motel. I still feel sick thinking about this night. I have told my husband I will book the rooms from now on or I will leave him.

Room Tip: Go anywhere but here!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011 via mobile

We checked in thinking 300 per week is a good rate, and of course had to pre-pay. The rom was so gross; the sink leaked all over the floor when we turned it on, there was mold in the shower, cigarettes under the bed and crumbs all over the tables. The smell was horrible; the first night it was late and had to stay, I slept on top of their covers, with the ones I brought to cover up with, the very next day we left and was very nice about it, they said they would refund the rest to my card but didn't. I opened a claim with my bank and got a call today saying they responded saying we stayed the entire week and no refund was promised; and on top of that provided documents to prove that we stayed which was impossible unless they were fabricated, and I know my bank didn't make that up. Save yourselves and just don't try it. There's an Allens Budget Motel in Evans Mills we are currently at that's cheap and way better! It's older definitely not the Radisson, but clean and honest and polite. Plus it's 5 minutes from the main gate to Fort Drum. We moved up here in June with the military and have been staying at motels and hotels while on the housing waiting list, and the experience at the WATERTOWN BUDGET INN HAD BEEN THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD AND I'M STILL PAYING FOR IT!!!!

• Stayed June 2011
Gatineau, Quebec
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We booked this hotel as there were not other rooms to be had. What a mistake. This was, by far, the worst place I've ever stayed.

The place was filthy. The room smelled like a wet dog. The room had not been cleaned in a very long time. The carpet, appearing to date back to the 1970's, was disgusting and dirty, really dirty. The drapes were hanging off the rod were competely stained. Of the two identical framed prints over the bed, one hung upside down. There were 2 huge dead moths on the bathroom floor (it's November, there are not moths in November = room not cleaned in months). Sink and toilet were not clean. Shower stall was full of mold and the dark red shower curtain had run all over the bottom. We did not use the shower stall. They did not even bother to put the toilet paper on the holder, they just plopped the roll on top. The bedsheets had cigarette burn holes in them. The most offensive part was the price: $80 for a room I couldn't sleep in.

STAY AWAY from this place!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010 via mobile

Had difficulty booking the hotel by phone with staff that barely spoke english. On arrival, I asked to see the room first. Saw condom wrappers and hair on pillows so I found a hotel elssewhere and tried to politely cancel reservation by phone. The hotel manager plainly said "No" and hung up on me. After contacting my bank, I found that I had been charged $78.00 for the night and charged again $770.00. I'm currently working with my bank to correct the issue. The staff was unapoligetic and refused to put me in contact with higher supervisors. There were other huge problems with the staff but I'm too irritated to write more.

• Stayed November 2010
Hudson, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

This motel is filthy. The telephone line in my room was cut and management refused to fix it. Management refused to get me a working tv remote control. They told me I had to clean my own room and that they do not service the room at all. Breakfast area table where coffee pot is was filthy. Numerous complaints to management about person next to me being noisy was brought to person's attention but he kept on making noise. I finally had to call local police about noise in the room. Stay somewhere else---this place is a dump

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Padanaram
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2007

We booked via Triple A and our arrangements were for the Parrot but that place was so unbelieveably god awful, I've been in third world countries which were cleaner. Drug addicts hanging around the parking lot, kids runnng around the cars while parents got high. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was so mad after viewing the Parrot that I drove to the nearest Triple A office and they booked me for the City Line but I didn't know it was owned by the same people.

When I got to the City Line I noticed the only difference between it and the Parrot was that it was quieter and the urine odor in the room wasn't as pungent.

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. A park bench smells better or the back seat of your car. Safer, too.

• Liked — Absolutely nothing.
  • Disliked — The dinginess and unsafe atmosphere.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Watertown Budget Inn? Share your experiences!