“Short on Service” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Lake Peekskill, NY
“Short on Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

This used to be my favorite diner in Watertown, but not anymore. It's no wonder we were the only ones in the place in the late afternoon. That still didn't keep us from getting crummy service.

I took my husband there for the first time, to show it off. Mistake. He had the meatloaf special, which came with mashed potatoes and a vegetable. The gravy cost extra. Huh? Meatloaf and mashed doesn't automatically come with gravy? I had the clam strips, which were so-so. The clam chowder wasn't too bad. Coffee was pretty bad.

I won't even get into the overcharges on the bill, and the reason given for them was, "because I'm new." Still didn't remove all of the erroneous charges. We were just glad to get out of there.

I think I'll skip this place for Denny's from now on when in the area.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Sebastian, Florida
“Good Service and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We even got a bowl of home made chips while we waited for our order. Th fries were terrific and our wraps were so big we each took half home. All the staff was smiling, pleasant and food arrived timely.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Victor, New York, United States
“Retro cool diner with great food and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

While visiting family "up North," they took us to one of their favorite restaurants - Shorty's. It was a really cool diner with an abundance of retro Coca Cola decor (which I loved). Our waitress was friendly and efficient. The food was delicious! From the salads to the sandwiches to the sides, everything was great!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Worst place I ever ate at”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I had the worst experience I have ever had in a restaurant. Walked in the door. Asked for a table for 4 plus a high chair. One of the hostesses (the young one) told me it would be a 20 minute wait. I was looking at an empty booth and I mentioned that to her and she said, "WE CAN'T PUT A HIGH CHAIR THERE, IT WOULD BLOCK THE AISLE, ARE YOU STUPID OR WHAT?" So, I said to the other person hostessing, (older cranky lady) "we could put our grandson in a booster between his mom and dad". She said "no you can't, those benches only seat 2 people." Well, it looked plenty big enough to me, but I let it go. We finally got seated. Asked the waitress for a cracker for the our grandson to chew on, she eventually brought it, but it took her forever. EVERYTHING took forever. We only got 1 coffee refill and that was only after we asked for it. We asked for an extra plate to put food from my plate on for the toddler. She didn't bring it with the food and after we asked for it, we waited about 10 minutes and finally got up and went to the counter and asked her again. She had it there, she had put it down on the counter and forgot to bring it. By the time I got food on the spare plate, my whole meal was cold. At one point they stopped seating people all together and sent them away because they didn't want to wait when clearly half the restaurant was empty tables. Over all, it was a very unpleasant experience. The service was slow, the waitresses and hostesses were unfriendly and some down right rude. I would never recommend this restaurant to anyone, and I for sure would never eat there again.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Watertown, New York
“Lack Luster Visit”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We went to Shorty's Place on July 23, 2014 around 4:00pm. The only food ordered that my family actually enjoyed were the fries. I ordered a poor excuse for a Philly cheese steak sandwich; it had 2 pieces of dry Steak-Um type mystery meat, a few pieces of onions, and a slice of American cheese cut in half and laid lengthwise on the bun. Whomever cooked this cheese steak should attend a class that educates proper tequniques on the assembly of a classic Philly cheese steak as I was left dissatisfied. My daughter ordered a breakfast burger which made the bun sopping wet with grease. My wife ordered the Italian beef sandwich that looked very good on the telivision commercial. Not only was it significantly smaller than what was shown on TV, it was freezer burnt and extremely salty. I did not originally complain because while the food was unsatisfactory, the waitress that served us was eager to please and very hospitable; I did not want to make her feel as if she was to blame for the food. Our reasoning for coming to the restaurant was that we had seen a (very misleading) commercial and had been meaning to visit for quite some time. Overall, we were left dissatisfied with our dining experience and we will not be back or reccomend Shorty's Place to any of our friends or family members.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere