“Not up to Hilton standards.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X Points Package
Ranked #1 of 16 hotels in Watertown
Toronto, Canada
“Not up to Hilton standards.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I always stay at Hilton properties when I can, and in Watertown I had a choice between Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden. As the Hilton Garden was a bit cheaper, I booked there. It's a newer hotel, and was quite busy when we stayed, but staff seemed distracted, and I didn't get the usual intimate Hilton feeling. My hhonors profile shows my preference for a room away from the elevator, but that was ignored, and we were given a room closest to the elevator, without any comment. The room wasn't as clean as we expect from Hilton - especially in a newer property - with stains on the floor in both the bathroom and entryway. The bed was clean and comfortable and we had a good night's sleep. In the morning we had great difficulty plugging in the coffeemaker, as the unit it was on partially covered the electrical outlet. I don't expect these annoyances at Hilton, so I can only rate this HGI average.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jody P, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Watertown/Thousand Islands, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and we hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may show you the quality service and accommodations you have come to expect from our family of hotels. I do apologize for your room assignment being too close to the elevator. I am not sure why your requests were not honored. It could have been that we were too filled with the extended stay guests through the last couple of months or it could have been a front desk error. If I had your Hilton Honors number or full name and date of stay I could investigate this further. Comments on your account could help me prevent this from happening again, should you wish to return someday. We are having trouble with our wood look tile floors in our guest rooms, every drop of water makes a mark and they have to be buffed every day to make them look right. We are in the process of trying to reseal this tile, (even though, as you mentioned it is brand new) to try to prevent this look of dropletts on the floor. I am glad your bed was clean and comfortable. Knowing what room you stayed in would help me with the outlet situation with your coffeemaker as well. The cabinet may be too close to the wall or in the wrong spot, or I may need to move the outlet itself. Please give me a call if you get a chance at the HGI Watertown and I can upload a few bonus Hilton Honors points as a thank you for your assistance.

Kindest Regards,
Jody Pettit, General Manager

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
forestville,ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

When the reservation was made we requested a room closest to the pool. On arrival we found that we were almost furthest. It seems kind of simple that with five days notice you could switch stuff around but maybe twenty other people ahead of us asked to be closest to the pool.

One of the room keys did not work upon arrival and had to be re-programmed. Went to the pool later that evening and the key did not open the pool door and then would not let us back into the room. Back to the lobby in a swimsuit to get the key re-programmed AGAIN.

Once we could get to the hot tub, we turned on the jets and got in hoping to relax. NOT. On the foam that formed looked like dryer lint complete with hairs. Grossed out at that point we headed back to the room, fortunately the door key worked this time. We did not report the skuzz to staff at that time because there is no way we'd get back in that thing no matter what they did.

We mentioned the situation on check out and when we got home management had left a message on our phone informing us they had added 1000 points to our Honors account.

As other guests have commented there is no free breakfast. For the price you pay for the room, other establishments DO provide them.

Room Tip: Ask for whichever room you'd like. You might luck out.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and we hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may show you the quality service and accommodations you have come to expect from our family of hotels. We apologize for not being able to honor your request to be on the first floor near the pool. There are only 16 rooms on the first floor, two of them are adjoining handicapp accessible and were reserved, four of them are whirlpool jacuzzis suites and the rest of them were filled with Military extended stay who have been here for several months. These rooms go quickly as it is the best location for smokers who need to exit the building often. I wish to apologize for our whirlpool condition. The whirlpool is emptied and cleaned every Friday waiting for the weekend traffic. The weekdays are quiet with corporate guests and the weekends are crazy with couples, shoppers and kids. By the Sunday of your arrival, the whirlpool probably was heading down hill. Since your comments, I have instructed the maintenance staff to dump the Hot tub on Saturday nights or early Sunday mornings so that it will be back on line by Sunday morning at 7:00 am. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. As for the free breakfast, that is true of all Hilton Garden Inns. We are a focused service brand rather than an express brand of hotel. That means we have food and beverage directors, executive chefs, waiters, waitresses, dishwashers and banquet staff. We even offer room service. Nothing is pre-packaged and all items are made fresh daily. Most guests enjoy the full service staffing with real napkins, silverware and china. This is not true of most locations offering a free breakfast. Please contact me directly if you are coming back to the area and I'll provide you with a couple free breakfast vouchers as a thank you for your comments and review.

Kindest Regards,

Jody Pettit, General Manager
Norwood, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I decided spur of the moment to stay overnight in Watertown. We arrived and were given a room immediately which was very clean and beautiful. Our stay was great and we checked out. Upon arriving home (about an hour and half away) I realized that I had left my diamond earrings in the room. I called immediately and Megan was wonderful! She took my info, went right up to the room herself and called me within minutes to say that she had them and would hold them or mail them whatever I wanted. I asked her to mail them but a few hours later found out that my parents were going to be in Watertown the next night so I called back to ask to have them held instead. None of this was a problem for the hotel and I was blown away not only by their honesty but by their willingness to help even though this was not their fault. Megan could have easily said that they weren't by the sink and kept my $2,500 earrings and I would have never known the difference but not have blamed the hotel after all I left them behind but she was honest and sweet and my husband and I can't wait to go back to the Hilton Garden Inn and stay again. Megan and all of the staff deserve commendation and a raise for their integrity and willingness to help the customer above and beyond the call of duty.

Malden, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Very clean hotel and rooms, great breakfast (cook to order), and friendly staff!! I would consider this hotel my first choice in the watertown, New York area. The beds were clean and comfy. the shower had great water pressure and no misc. hair lingering about.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

A very clean hotel just off the Interstate. Lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. Friendly and helpful staff, a quiet bar and restaurant. The rooms were super clean , and very quiet for a hotel just off the highway. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Booked a weekend getaway here and took the Bed and Breakfast Plan. Ate dinner our first night in the restaurant and had Fish Friday dinner. The restaurant attracted people from outside the hotel so it must be a popular evening locally. Breakfast was either serve yourself or have an omelet made. Lots of choice for fruit, yogurt, pastries, etc. The room was equipped with a coffee maker, microwave and fridge. The staff everywhere was very friendly. We we impressed with how pleasant everyone was. The room was very clean and we only barely heard people in the hallway. Have stayed next door at the Holiday Inn and at the Hampton Inn but enjoyed the Hilton the most. We used the pool and hot tub and noted it was busy most of the time we were there. Great getaway spot or a shopping weekend getaway accommodation.

Browns Mills, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The hotel is nice. Pool, Hot tub and Fitness room were all nice. The staff were always very friendly, but there was no free breakfast. I did have dinner there one night and the food was very good but a little on the more exspensive side. From the hotel I could walk to 4 other hotels. I will be going to one of them next time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Watertown/Thousand Islands? Share your experiences!