“Fantastic Place !” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Watertown
Flower Mound, Texas
“Fantastic Place !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

If you are looking for a place to stay in Watertown, then this is the place! The staff is very friendly. This is a newer hotel but if they keep this staff and atmosphere then they will have a winner for years to come.

Now, let me get to the breakfast. The breakfast was the BEST that I have ever had at a Hilton Garden Inn. I had an omelet, made to my specs, it was made to perfection. It was not runny, not soggy, not over stuff, but perfect. My wife had the French toast and she said it was some of the best that she has ever had. As anyone that has seen “soggy” bacon on the buffet, you would love this place. We asked for “crispy” bacon and it was “Made to Order” great! This is by far the best place to stay and the BEST BREAKFAST in Watertown!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This is a newer hotel that is somewhat larger than most of the Hilton Garden Inn's where we have stayed. It has a great location with easy access to the interstate and is close to areas with shopping and restaurants. (This came in handy when we had to buy a pair of tennis shoes that we forgot to pack). They sell "Smores" kits in the pantry shop that you can use on the fire pit on the nice patio area, although our time did not let us take advantage of this.
What sets the hotel apart though is the staff. Everyone from the front desk to the maintenance staff was friendly and helpful. They had to fix a small leak under our bathroom sink while we were out and they left us a hammer shaped piece of chocolate, an apology note, and a coupon for free breakfast. Joe (who I believe was one of the managers or assistant managers) was especially helpful and gave us some great advice about the area while we were visiting. We don't make it up here very often but we will stay here next time when we do.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

The Hilton Garden Inn was able to accomodate a large group I had come to FT Drum. The staff went in my oppinion above and beyond any normal staff would do. Every request was met. I asked to get some towels and toiletries for 32 of my Soldiers coming out of the field for an exercise. The staff without question or hesitation provided enough toiletries for me to greet my team coming out of the field.

Another neat feature is on Friday nights the staff provides a gas firepit that has marshmellows, graham crackers and Hershey bars for Smores. I have never been to a hotel that has provided a small touch to a high caliber.

The staff was friendly and enjoyable to be around. I highly recommend making this hotel your stay when you come to FT Drum for a tournament or coming in for military.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Echternacherbrueck, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

This Hilton has easy access from I 81 and quite convenient to shopping. The facility is impeccably maintained and is quite up to date.
The genial, professional staff provides warmhearted service and helpful advice on the area. The room is superbly comfortable, a restful night guaranteed.
We did not dine here but the meal service area is as attractive as the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Burke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

This is a new hotel in the Hilton chain. It is a very satisfactory and competitive offering in Watertown but not exceptional. The rooms are clean and have a refrigerator and microwave plus a coffee maker. Our room had a nice walk-in shower. The hotel has complimentary Internet connection, a physical fitness center and a pool. There is also a “restaurant” and bar adjacent to the lobby area. Thus, it offers the essential things expected today. Finally, the staff was extremely professional and friendly.

In our view there were two drawbacks to this hotel. First, it is adjacent to I-81 with the associated traffic noise. The second is the “restaurant”. I would characterize it as an eating area that offers food service. Our first observation was that it was noisy. The noise from the patrons at the bar carried into the dining area. The second observation was that the chairs were too low for the tables. But more significant was the quality of the food we had. The menu offered many tempting items, but we only wanted a light meal in the evening. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger with fries. That was a big mistake. The burger was extremely dry and the fries were very soggy. The restaurant is convenient, but would not be our first choice in the future. Numerous chain eateries are close by. The dining issues can, and should, be solved.

We passed on the breakfast and instead went to the Friendly’s Restaurant one block east on Arsenal Street. We have eaten breakfast there on numerous occasions. For seniors it offers a satisfactory breakfast at half the price.

We have stayed twice at the nearby Hampton Inn and had decided to try this new offering in the Hilton chain. Whichever hotel one chooses, in our opinion, would be a matter of personal taste. Within the Hilton family, we likely would choose the Hampton Inn next time. There also are other competitive offerings nearby. There is a new Holiday Inn next to the Hilton Garden Inn. But this has the same drawback of proximity to the highway. And there is a Marriott Hotel under construction about two blocks northeast. All of those should be equally satisfactory.

If this hotel were equally priced but located in a higher-priced market, I would rate it higher--but not in the Watertown area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Stayed at the new Hilton Garden Inn in Watertown for 2 days over Easter weekend. We go shopping in Watertown quite often, and this was the first time we stayed at the Hilton, having previously stayed at the Holiday Inn Express next door and the Hampton Inn one block over. Of the three, I’d say the Hilton comes in first, the HI Express second and the Hampton Inn third. All three are good and there isn’t much of a difference, and the choice of where to stay between the three is always based on which is the less expensive for the time period we’ll be staying.

Where the Hilton edges out the other two, in my opinion based on my last stay, is service. I can honestly say that their customer service was beyond excellent. Every employee we encountered during our 2-day stay was extremely friendly and courteous, and every single employee who crossed my path, from the front desk to maintenance and cleaning staff, always made sure to smile and say “good morning”, good afternoon”, “good evening”. While we were there, my 14-year-old daughter had a bit of a surprise the second morning, something she was not prepared for. Without going into specifics, she misread her calendar at home, and did not bring along any personal feminine “supplies”, if you get my meaning. I headed down to the front desk where they have the “The Pavilion Pantry”, sort of a mini-convenience mart that offers various sundries and an assortment of beverages, snacks and ready-to-cook meals for the microwave in your room, but unfortunately they didn’t have the type of product my daughter is accustomed to. As I stood there pondering the situation and trying to figure out how long it would take me to run to the drugstore and back, one of the front desk employees asked if I needed help with anything. To make a long story short, the Pantry didn’t have type of product my daughter needed, but the front desk staff asked me to hang on and one of them went into the back area. A few minutes later, she reappeared with two individually boxed feminine hygiene products, handed them to me, and told me to take them to my daughter, no charge.

I know it doesn’t seem like much, but it’s these kinds of gestures that ensure a customer will return. I was very grateful for their help, as I was dreading telling my teenager to use toilet paper while I made the trip to the drugstore. Those of you who have teenage girls know what I mean – I didn’t feel much like starting the day on the receiving end of a whole bunch of teen girl attitude…with raging hormones thrown in for good measure. How many hotels would have just told me where the nearest drugstore was and sent me on my way? Probably most of them. This wasn’t their problem, it was mine (well it was really my daughter’s, but became mine by proxy). But they went beyond what I was expecting and provided EXCELLENT customer service.

The room was clean, well-appointed and comfortable, and for once, no noisy heating/AC unit under the window like most hotels, even new ones. Instead, true central heating/AC which didn’t keep up all night. The room also had free wired and Wi-Fi internet, which was a bonus. All in all, a great hotel; and if you can get a special deal, even better. Their prices are lower than the Hampton’s, which is odd since both are part of the Hilton chain. But in my view, the Garden Inn is the better hotel.

We will definitely be back, especially considering the lower rates, the fact that they have a full-service restaurant on-site (the Hampton Inn and the Holiday Inn Express don’t), the overall look and feel of the place and finally, the superb service. No, they don’t include a free breakfast as the other two do, but we don’t usually take advantage of the free breakfast at the other hotels anyway; we tend to skip breakfast and head straight to Bob Evans’ for lunch – just can’t get enough of that pot roast sandwich!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Watertown/Thousand Islands? Share your experiences!