“We had a clean, comfortable stay at a great price.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn

Save Saved
You added Rodeway Inn to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   652 Arsenal Street, Watertown, NY 13601 (Formerly Travelodge Watertown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 16 hotels in Watertown
Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
“We had a clean, comfortable stay at a great price.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

We reserved this hotel for a last minute 4th of July road trip to 1000 Islands. It was one of the few available places left we could afford. That being the case, I prepared for the worst, packing lysol and sleeping bags just in case. However, we were pleasantly surprised that we received a clean comfortable room that was well equipped. We had HBO, fridge, microwave, safe and coffee maker. Air conditioning worked well and I enjoyed a nice hot shower massage, so we slept fine. Breakfast wasn't elaborate, we grabbed coffee and muffins and hit the road. The only negative thing was that the streets in the neighborhood were all tore up with a repaving project.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cooperstown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

My wife and I decided to take a brake from our long trip from Thousand Islands to back home in Cooperstown NY and took the exit for Watertown NY. We had no online reservation made and the decision to stop was not pre-planned. The Premier Hotels like Holiday Inn and Ramada were asking over $125.00 that night, we kept shopping around and rented at Travellodge. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable providing a good night sleep. Complimentary breakfast was unconditional and the staff was very nice. A pleasant bargain under $75.00.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Nome, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

My company booked me in here, which worried me when I saw the reviews. I've been here 11 days of a 17 day trip.

The beds are fine. The carpet is old and stained, but the rooms DO NOT SMELL. Good cleaning, I assume, but whatever works. The rooms are too small, unless you are alone. The bathrooms have been updated, but it looks like they hired amateurs to do the work. The towels are thin, about 2 ft by 4 ft, and look like they were purchased from a bin labeled, "Cheapest Possible Hotel Towels." The breakfast is cereal and bagels, but it's better than nothing.

Personally, my problem is the Internet service. Everything has at least one thing that is make or break for an experience, and Internet is mine. After two days of no service, I asked to be moved to a room closer to the router. That helped, but I still have had Internet service less than half of the time I've been here.

Apparently only the manager can operate the system and he's only here during workdays, when I was at work. So I had to take time off at lunch to come and see him and find out what was wrong. The last time I came in to see him, he blamed it on my computer, but I can document that the wireless router has had at least 4 different configurations during the 11 days I have been here so far.

In questioning the other staff members, I found that the hotel has 3 wireless access points, but 2 of them have not worked for at least 2 years. The manager is apparently not interested in training anyone else to bring the system up, since once it goes down it remains down until his next shift on duty.

I think that total lack of concern is indicative of the hotel in general. This is a 2 star hotel with NO intention of ever being more than that. I don't mind a 2 star hotel, but I expect to be treated like someone they want to come back, not blamed for their problems.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
anthony g, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
As a traveler, one of the first things I look for is dependable wi-fi. I am happy to report that we now have dependable wi-fi which I use for my personal laptop on a daily basis. Our multiple access points ensure a strong signal in all rooms.
Montreal, QC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

We booked on Expedia and when we showed up were told that they had no reservation for us. I showed them my printed receipt, indicating that I had already paid for the room. They let me know that they would respect the reservation and asked for a credit card for incidentals, while guaranteeing that the room would not be charged on my card. When we checked out the next morning, I double-checked again and was told the room was not charged. I have just received my statement the room was in fact charged to my credit card, and at a higher rate than what I had paid on Expedia. Both myself and Expedia called the hotel to try to come to a settlement and the manager basically yelled and me and then hung up. He told me that my booking had never been made and that the hotel had been fully booked and that I was lucky that they were able to have even gotten a room. However, the man behind me in line had no reservation and when he got a room was told that there was lots of availability. The manager clearly does not behave in an upfront or professional manner.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

1. The front desk clerk attempted to charge me $5/day over what my reservation amount was for. He attempted to give me some lame excuse for rate changes, despite my guaranteed online price. It wasn't until I confronted him w/ my online print out of reservations did he hesitantly agree to charge me my quoted price. This apparently has happened to more customers than me, based on the online feedback. Have all of your documentation with you!
2. The cleaning substance used in the bathroom gives the room a nauseating smell, especially when there is no air movement. Each day we came back to the room we had to open the windows and turn the air/fan on and leave to eliminate the smell so we could tolerate being in the room again.
3. I felt very insecure and unsafe at night at the hotel. I understand they house folks from the local homeless shelter for certain reasons at night. When these people cat-call at you from their rooms (on the first floor, on your way to the hotel entrance, I might add) and hang out by your vehicle at night, and being a woman, this is very disconcerting. I tried to call 3-5 other establishments so we wouldn't have to stay here because we were so scared.
4. The cleanliness of the lobby and stairwell was disgusting, as soon as I walked into the lobby the first evening, there was a foul odor.
5. The military rate is very reasonable, however given the environment, I made sure to get up early and leave first thing in the morning, and arrive as late at night as I could to minimize my time there. And was sure to secure all the locks on the doors.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Medina, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

when my Wife and I first stayed here I got a good.. The rooms are a little small but there clean. The staff are nice.. " Simple and cheap".. My wife and I Booked for 4 Weekends all 2 weeks apart.. the first week end it was 166.99 .. The Sec was 177.99 the third was 188.99 and the forth was 199.99.. we are members of CAA and AAA.. when we asked we were told becouse the rate Change.. I understand the rate update from Winter to summer But all..

Now rember all 4 were made on the same Day and the Same time.. Why were all 4 Not the same Price..

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
buffalo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

we checked into hotel,at about 4:00 pm thought something was really wrong when we seen all doors open on hotel, We all walked up hallway stairs the smell in this place was worst than the dumpster outside.Paint all over the place,dirt all over floors i think they were remodeling but really not sure,Walked into room the smell was even worst stay there for about 45 min and checked out with 2 children the combination of flea spray and paint dont mix well together,the rugs were sticky with something, kids walked with flip flops on.Well we have stayed in alot of hotels this one is the worst it should be condemmed no questions asked.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — smell in rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!