“"Upgraded" means they took away a bed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Washington Street, Watertown, NY 13601 (Formerly BEST WESTERN Carriage House Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #6 of 16 hotels in Watertown
Albany, United States
“"Upgraded" means they took away a bed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I reserved a double queen NS room. Instead, I got a room with a king-sized bed and a lumpy uncomfortable pull-out couch. I told the desk clerk and he said that's what I reserved. I checked my reservation and I was correct- I had reserved a double, not a single king bed. My staff had to be uncomfortable. The toilet leaked all night. Breakfast was OK. Horrible overall.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

jerimcgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I am truly sorry you did not have a better experience during your recent stay. I apologize for the error in your reservation. My understanding is that the room type with 2 double beds was oversold due to unexpected reservation extensions and your reservation was upgraded to a suite to accommodate your arrival. This was intended as an upgrade and apologize that it was actually an inconvenience. Thank you for bringing the issues you had with the toilet to our attention, we have taken care of this issue. Again, I am very sorry you did not have a better experience. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience

338 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Ft. Mitchell, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We needed a place to stay with our pet on the last night of a rained out camping trip. This Best Western is close to highway 81 so we were able to get a quick start home in the morning, they accept dogs and the price was very good. I had read some negative reviews on TripAdvisor about the cleanliness of the hotel, so I was a little concerned, but I didn't find any options that looked much better for the price, so I booked a room. When we got there, I was more than satisfied with the room. It was very clean, had newer beadspreads that are not plastic/polyester, and a mini fridge for the food we had from camping. The beds were perfectly comfortable, the staff was friendly and the continental breakfast the next morning was great! It's not super fancy, but everything works and everything is comfortable. We had no problems. I would definitely stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your camping trip got rained out on the last day but very happy that we were able to accommodate your family and your pet. It is nice to hear that you had no problems with your stay and that your room was clean and comfortable. We look forward to seeing you on a future visit to our area.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was very satisfied with the overall hotel experience. The free breakfast put most others to shame considering the selection. Staff was very helpful and friendly. This is the 5th year in a row that I have stayed here for 3-4 nights at a time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

jerimcgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for the great review of your recent stay with us. I am glad that you found our breakfast superior to other hotels that you have stayed at and that our staff was helpful. We look forward to having you with us again next year. If I can be of any assistance with a future booking please let me know.

Lewiston, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I found the location to be very convenient to in-town activities (fall festival) and it wasn't very far from malls and other conveniences. Restaurants and shops were walking distance. Staff at the hotel was pleasant and professional. The high speed internet log on was very convenient; no passwords or fees.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I am glad that you were able to enjoy our Black River Fall Festival and that our staff took good care of you while you were with us. We have several events in the area throughout the year as well as our Farmer's Market that is open every Wednesday right across the street from the hotel from May to October. We hope to see you soon for another visit.

Tarzana, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hotel is old and needs to be updated. The bathroom was a disaster, very old and much in need of updating. The housekeeping is poor at best. Just not use to Best Westerns that are in this condition.I would not stay at his hotel again. . They could do a much better job of breakfast. Selections were poor and the quality of the food was not good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We strive to make every guest experience a positive one and I apologize that we let you down. We began remodeling our guest rooms this past spring starting in the bedroom area and are slated to finish the bathrooms this winter. While we are unable to change the size of our bathrooms we will be doing what we can to make them more functional for our guests. I would welcome any suggestions you have for selections that you would like to see offered on our breakfast. We do try to alternate and add items that guests request when possible. I hope you will give us the opportunity on a future visit to show you how good a stay at our property can be.

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We were a family of 3, all adults, who stayed Aug 31-Sept 1 (booked via booking.com). First off they need to do something about how the GPS directs you if possible. We got lost as we were directed to another 300 Washington Street in a small town perhaps about 15 mins away. When we finally arrived, we had to wait nearly 1/2 hr past check-in time to get a room. Other guests were waiting also and were visibly upset. When a manager finally came to the front desk, she offered an explanation for the delay (staffing issues) and a discount on the room rate. To add insult to injury, we got booked into a very dirty room!! There were smelly pillows and what looked like a small blood or rust stain on the sheet of one bed. The other bed had a comforter with a huge "blood" stain and a sheet with lipstick smears. We called the front desk to have the sheets changed however no one came after 20-30 minutes thus we called back. We were told housekeeping was on their way. We waited another 10 mins however no one came so we went down to the front desk to complain, only to be told that we were placed in that room by error!! We had pictures of the nastiness which we showed the front desk clerks. They were appalled and we did receive an apology. The room (#309) apparently was never cleaned however it appeared in their system as cleaned. It's strange because the beds were made up perfectly and there was even a written note left by the housekeeper stating that the room was cleaned for us!! Even the towels seemed freshly replenished. It's gross to think about because we unknowingly laid on these unhygienic beds before discovering the disgusting stains. Unfortunately, we had to ask for a discount and a change of room - it wasn't readily offered. Should the room have been comped?? It's a pity we didn't have a manager to speak to at this point. In spite of the gross error with the 1st room, the new room we got was very clean - you could smell the difference! We checked the sheets and they were fresh and clean. In general we liked the amenities available (e.g. in-room microwave and fridge, large flat-screen, free breakfast). The breakfast was pretty decent and they refilled constantly. Affordable place to stay for a weekend shopping trip. I would return despite the bad start provided no more mishaps.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincerest apologize for the horrible start to your stay with is. I am glad that our staff was able to get you into a room that was clean and that you were able to enjoy the rest of your stay and all of the amenities that we offer. I am also happy to hear that you would return for a future visit. Since I was unable to compensate you for the problems that you encountered during your stay I would be like the opportunity to make amends during a future visit. Please let me know when you would like to visit us again.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Check in was slow because they had one night attendant, we had to wait for awhile before he could serve us, as he was on the phone. Once we had his attention, he was very quick to check us in and give us a room. He even apologized that it was in the lower level.

Parking required that we drive around the property on major streets, so, we had to wait for a traffic light. The parking spots were tight, and we were given nasty looks by the patrons of the bar, for parking too close to the bar.

We were able to find our room quickly and it was updated with LCD screen, fridge and new mattresses. The kids wanted to see the pool and we noticed that everything you would look at was updated but everything that you wouldn't normally see was old. An example of this was that they had a door open in a maintenance room and they had a large fan drying the floor.

The swimming pool looked so much better in pictures. It was warm in there but looked like it was last updated in the 1930s. We opted not to swim there.

The breakfast was busy and average; however, my biggest criticism was the fruit flies that were circling around it.

Sleep was good, room was good and location was good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
jerimcgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your recent stay at our property. I am glad that you slept well and found our location accommodating to your needs. I do apologize that your stay with us did not exceed your expectations. We are an older property but have been making updates to our public areas and guest rooms over the past couple of years. We are still working on our guest bathrooms and the outside of the building but all of our public spaces including the pool area were updated in 2010. Our pool is actually quite nice and kept at a comfortable temperature of 85 degrees. I am sorry that your children did not get the opportunity to enjoy it. I hope that you will stay with us again on a future visit and give us the opportunity to turn your average stay into an incredible stay.

Jeri McInnis

Been to BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum? Share your experiences!