“Will stay again.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum

You added BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Washington Street, Watertown, NY 13601 (Formerly BEST WESTERN Carriage House Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Watertown
Gloversville, New York
“Will stay again.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Let me preface my comments by saying that we will be staying at the hotel again in two weeks.

Good: Price, Location in town, Room was spacious, clean and a large flat screen TV. Beds were very comfortable, breakfast is good. There is a bar and a restaurant on site. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Coffee maker, frig and microwave in the room

Not so Good: Need better pillows, long hairs on one of the pillows... no TV guide in the room. Bathrooms small.

The hotel is an older hotel and with that comes certain limitations, I have stayed at historic hotels(this is not a historic hotel) and understand that old hotels are not like the modern hotels of today.
Yes, the bathrooms are small and have yet to be updated, the person at the front desk said that will be done in the months to come. They will still be small after the remodel.

Although there are some negatives, the positives outweigh the negatives. If you don't want to stay on the outskirts of town and pay 40-60 dollars more a night, this hotel works.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
jerimcgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our property. I am glad that you found our rooms clean and comfortable and our staff helpful. We do plan to remodel our bathrooms this fall and while they will still be small we hope to make them more functional. We have also recently purchased some new pillows. Unfortunately they wear out quickly because of the amount of use and need to be replaced regularly. Thank you for recommending our property and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Watertown.

Jeri McInnis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

After seeing that this hotel was recently renovated my husband and I decided to spend the night before heading out on a long road trip the next day.

The good: Breakfast was excellent. The potatoes were great, the waffle had fresh whipped cream and strawberry topping (optional), a good selection of cereal, yogurt, bread, coffee, juice etc. The bedding was nice. The flatscreen TV was very nice for a hotel this age.

The bad: Our room had the smallest bathroom I have EVER seen period. They literally had to cut away part of the vanity in order for your to sit on the toilet... I'm small so it wasn't much of an issue but anyone of size would have problems. The tub was hidden behind the door, to get to it you had to stand in the corner, almost over top the toilet and try to shut the door. While they updated the bedding the bed itself was not very nice. You could feel some springs.

The room was clean but it looked like housekeeping just threw the bed together.

The size of that bathroom did it in for me. I don't know if it was just our room. maybe the others room's are better but come on that is not acceptable. The breakfast did redeem the stay a little the next morning, but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
jerimcgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a survey about your recent stay with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and the guest room TVs. I would like to apologize for the problems you had with our bathrooms and clarify that what has been renovated is everything except the bathrooms. We are scheduled to begin these in the fall. Unfortunately there is not much we can do about the size but are striving to make them more functional for our guests. I would also like to apologize for the lack of care our housekeeping staff put into your bed. This is not the level of service we normally give to our guests or accept. I do hope you will come back once our bathrooms are completed to give us the opportunity to show you what we have done.

Kingston, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is the only Best Western in the Watertown area. Because it is so close to Canadian border, it is the destination of choice for us and we us air mile rewards cards to stay here.

On this trip I had requested a first floor room and we were given a room on 1st floor off the lobby. It was a double room and the room is really getting dated. Although, the room is very clean, the tiles in the bathroom and the tub really need updating (edge grout non-existant and edges rough) The toilet flushes are extremely and annoying noisy and require updating as does the accessory wall decor in the main room. The main room carpet was buckled in between the beds and I believe starting to tear.

One thing I noticed on this trip was that upon check in, BW rewards members are usually given a little gift bag and on this occasion none was offered by the check in clerk.

Okay enough negative. Positively: The room rates are nicely priced and the comp breakfast was very good. The beds were extremely soft and comfortable although I really don't like the little decor pillows BW uses and we bring our own pillows when driving to these BW destinations. The air conditioning in the room was surprisingly quiet which was great.

To be fair...I think next time we'll push on to Syracuse to stay at the Best Western there.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the rear parking lot. The one's facing Washington street can be noisey
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
jerimcgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a survey about your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and found the beds comfortable. I would like to apologize for the issues that you had with your guest room. We are currently in the process of remodeling all of our rooms. We have completed the second and third floors with carpet, wall vinyl, and furniture and have just started on the first floor. We plan to follow up in the fall with bathroom renovations. I hope you will give us the opportunity to show the upgrades we have made before passing us up for Syracuse. If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

Stockbridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed at the best western over a 10 week period. I found the hotel to be very accommodating and the staff to be very helpful. The in house bar and restaurant are quite good. During my stays they often upgraded me if better rooms were available. there is coffee and cookies available
in the evening, and coffee in the morning as well. From what i could see they can accommodate any size group or party that you may require. There are any number of business travelers as well as vacationers that utilize the facility. I believe part of the hotel is pet friendly as well.
There is also a free breakfast available which has a good sized variety breakfast foods both hot and cold. i would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
jerimcgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review about our property. I am so pleased that our staff took care of you with room upgrades not to mention the fabulous cookies they bake. We enjoy thanking our regular guests for their business with these little touches. Thank you for sharing all that we have to offer with Trip Advisor readers. We look forward to seeing you on future business trips to Watertown.
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

good value. rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. complimentary breakfast was good. great location as the family we were visiting were only 2 miles away. the only odd thing was light switch for bathroom was actually outside bathroom.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. I am glad that you found the accommodations clean and comfortable. We look forward to seeing you on your next family visit.

Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The hotel is due for redecorating and fortunately, is undergoing renovations, beginning on the top floors. The bathrooms which are very very small will be improved later in the year...not sure how you make them larger??

In our room, 143, the beds were only okay and a little saggy. The shower head wasn't functioning at full capacity, but we managed.

There was a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker in the room, though we did not use any over our weekend stay. Coffee is provided in the lobby and at the complimentary breakfast. The breakfast was typical, but not impressive; with many starches and carbs. There was fresh fruit.

The location is excellent if you want to be in downtown Watertown. It is walking distance to local points of interest, including the beautiful Flower Memorial Library.

I will stay here again and look forward to the renovations. The staff was as nice as you would ever expect - kudos to all friendly faces.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us, Unfortunately you are correct, we can't really make the bathrooms larger. What we are hoping to do is update them and make them a little more functional. I am having my staff change both the mattress and shower head in room 143. Thank you for bringing these items to my attention. I am glad that our friendly staff took good care of you and would like to hear any suggestions you might have on different items for our breakfast buffet. We look forward to seeing you in your next trip to Watertown.

Jeri McInnis

Been to BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum? Share your experiences!