“Loved it..” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kempinski Seychelles Resort

Save Saved
You added Kempinski Seychelles Resort to your Saves list
Kempinski Seychelles Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Baie Lazare | P.O. Box 1356 Victoria, Baie Lazare, Mahe Island, Seychelles   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Baie Lazare
Hong Kong, China
“Loved it..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We visited the Kempinski Seychelles in the summer of 2012 for about 1 week. After a long flight from Dubai, we touched down and I was instantly transported back to the Caribbean. Swaying palms, white sand beaches and a balmy sea breeze. I could easily have been in the BVI, Jamaica or Antigua.
The drive to the hotel from the airport is about 30-40 mins, but there is very little traffic. The drive takes you through windy roads and over a mountain (or very large hill) and approaching Baie Lazare, you have the most incredible view of the bay. The Kempinski itself is all that you would expect from a quality hotelier. Excellent spacious rooms, generously accommodated, with quality furnishing and equipment -including a wide screen tv. The views are also as you would expect, breathtakingly beautiful.
The food and dining were buffet style, but the resort have tried to vary the food daily, so whilst you can repeat yesterdays meal, you don't have to.
The snorkelling right off the resorts private beach was fantastic, the water was as clear as bathwater and lots of fish to see. We also hired bikes and rode around the grounds which was actually quite popular. You could also play tennis and there other activities aside from pool lounging, to keep you in the resort.
We hired a vehicle very easily and went around the island, visiting the capital and hidden waterfalls and some of the other 365 beaches on Mahe island.
This is a fantastic resort and the most beautiful of islands. Thoroughly recommend a visit.

Room Tip: choose an ocean view room, they are lovely and worth the additional cost.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
JeanMarcMichel, General Manager at Kempinski Seychelles Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Soccer-freak,

Thank you for taking time in posting your valuable comments on Tripadvisor in regards to your stay at the Kempinski Seychelles Resort.

We were delighted to have you in our care and are pleased to have exceeded your expectation. We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your days in our resort and the facilities. We are grateful for the compliments on our room and glad to read that we were able to tickle your taste with our extensive food offer.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in our resort.

With warmest regards from the Sunny Seychelles.

508 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Rome
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

…was the title of a song I heard many years ago during my first and until a few days ago only visit to this country in 1990. Many things have changed since my first visit, while others have not. I certainly do not remember a Kempinski – or any big hotel – in Baie Lazare back then, although I do remember being captivated by the beauty of this small bay with its white sand and blue sea. Although the Kempinski is indeed quite a large structure that sprawls over a significant part of the land portion of the bay, it is amazing how it somehow manages to remain (almost) unobtrusive when seen from either the access road or the sea. This is certainly due to the fact that most of the original vegetation has been left standing, but also because the various buildings have been carefully placed in order to reduce the visual impact – or at least that it is the effect it gave to my eyes. Although my ongoing business trip did not allow me to spend more than a couple of full days in this establishment, I was totally captivated by the incredible atmosphere of the place and would not hesitate to go back for a full one-week holiday, given time and sufficient money.
Upon checking in, I was given a full tour of the hotel – which is a first in my life – by a very helpful staff member. Her willingness to make me feel at home and provide all required explanations gave me an excellent first impression, but over the next 48 hours I came to realise that all staff members in the Kempinski Seychelles are ready to bend over backwards to accommodate a client's requests. At the end of my check-in I casually enquired about the possibility of staying a third night (the hotel was booked up for St Valentine) and I was surprised when I realised that they did take notice of my request and offered me to continue in a different room. I might be a poor judge of people, but to me they all appeared to be smiling, friendly and very professional, certainly proud to be part of their team.
My sea-view room was absolutely beautiful, spacious and clean, with a cosy terrace facing...the garden! That is the problem I guess with structures placed smartly in order to minimise the visual impact: although my room was indeed facing the sea, there was not much of it you could see from the balcony. A minor problem no doubt but others might object. During my stay I made full use of the very good beach and pool facilities available to the guests and was very satisfied by their easy availability. As a matter of fact the hotel organises each day different activities for its most active guests (unlike me) that at least on paper look very interesting. The gym was relatively small but very well furnished...and anyway I have seen very few people using it during my two days there.
I have used two of the restaurants in the structure, the elegant Asian one (the Indochine) and the Beach Bar (the Windsong), and was fully satisfied by the quality and the quantity of the food served. Breakfast was served in the Buffet Restaurant and was exactly to my liking.
So much for the pros...as for the cons...Internet speed is appalling, and I am not talking about the free option, which I did not even bother to try, but the high speed 12 Euros one. Since I did not make much use of the Internet anyway, I report this for the record and to be fair – again others might beg to differ. Food in the restaurants is incredibly expensive: while this is in great part justified by the additional costs of importing everything by plane and boat, guests should expect to pay as much as 33 euros for a beef burger and a couple of local beers. I am quite certain this is not only a feature of the Kempinski, but still...Lastly there was a minor ant invasion in my bathroom that did not bother me at all (thankfully no mosquitoes in sight!).
Since my pros far outweigh the cons in the Kempinski, I consider this establishment well deserving my five stars and my considerations for future visits to the Seychelles...I just hope it will not be after other 23 years...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
JeanMarcMichel, General Manager at Kempinski Seychelles Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Gersenkirth,

Welcome back to the Seychelles and thank you for taking time in posting your valuable comments on Tripadvisor in regards to your stay at the kempinski Seychelles Resort.

We were delighted to have you staying whit us and are pleased to have exceeded your expectation.We are happy to read that you have enjoyed our facilities and your positive comments about our Team Members will be an inspiration to keep us focusing in the right direction in delivering the highest quality of service , always with a smile.

We are very grateful for the compliments on our room and glad to read that you have enjoyed our exclusive restaurants.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in our resort very soon.

With our warmest regards from the Seychelles.

Vevey, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have stayed at the Kempinski Seychelles Resort at Baie Lazarre on a number of occasions during the past months on business trips in the Seychelles (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g488116-d2469859-r140433445-Kempinski_Seychelles_Resort-Baie_Lazare_Mahe_Island.html), but this time I was able to bring along my wife and our 3-months old baby boy along. While I was busy on meetings around the Seychelles, my wife and baby could relax at the resort - Being away on business trips about two weeks out of a month, I obviously relish these times when I can make business trips with my family.
One aspect of my stays at the Kempinski is the incredible and honest welcome and general friendliness of the staff. All of the many staff members always welcome and greet me by my name, which is a personal touch that I appreciate. And they are always wonderfully friendly and smiling. I really enjoy meeting them, seeing them again and talking with them.
On this trip, I was absent for four days on one of the small remote islands of the Seychelles, and my family remained at the resort. Unfortunately, plane bugs got the better of my wife and our baby boy who both had a bout of flu during my absence. The entire staff of the resort where helpful and concerned about their wellbeing, and they organised for a doctor to visit, and a follow-up check with the resident nurse. Everyone was concerned and inquired about their wellbeing and comfort. And they fortunately felt much better after a couple of days. I was away on a remote island with just the basic communication means, but I was relaxed hearing that they were well taken care of. I would have felt very anxious and nervous about the situation if this had happened anywhere else, and I am most thankful for this incredible support and again the honest and true friendliness of the entire staff at the resort, at all levels. Thank you so much!
I already look forward to my next visit to the Seychelles, knowing that I will stay in this 'home away from home' and this little haven of paradise in the Seychelles.
I can recommend the Kempinski Seychelles Resort to all my friends without any hesitation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
JeanMarcMichel, General Manager at Kempinski Seychelles Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Michael,

Thank you for taking time in posting your valuable comments on Tripadvisor in regards to your return stay at the Kempinski Seychelles Resort.

We were delighted to have your wife and son, staying with us for the first time and are pleased to have exceeded your expectation.
Your positive comments and recommendation on our Team Members will be an inspiration to keep us focus in the right direction in delivering the highest quality of service always with a smile and the best attention.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your family back in our resort.

With Sunny regards from the Seychelles,

Haleiwa, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at the Kempinski Seychelles resort for 4 nights.
I am a very difficult guest - but this property is just excellent.
My room was spacious with a sitting area, a desk, a beautiful bathroom and one of the most comfortable bed I had slept on.
I enjoyed an outside terrace, the hanging mattress and a beautiful unspoiled beach.
The lap pool was large and refreshing , the gym had all the latest equipment.

I am not a buffet type person- but I changed my mind at the Kempinski. I stayed at several resorts in the Seychelles- and the food was by far the best I had.

The German chef crafted a different eggs benedict for me every morning. I still dream about it.
The espresso coffee was the best in the Seychelles.

The property had a casino, but I never visited it. The bar and life music was a lot of fun.
Staff went out of their way and smiled all the time, something I missed at the Le Meridien Seychelles last year. You can tell - the staff is happy and they enjoy working at this excellent property. I'll be back !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
JeanMarcMichel, General Manager at Kempinski Seychelles Resort, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking time in posting your valuable comments on Tripadvisor regards your four night stay at the Kempinski Seychelles Resort.

We were delighted to have you in our care and are pleased to have exceeded your expectation.We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed our facilities and that we were able to tickle your taste with our extensive food offer.

We are very grateful for the compliments on our room and glad to read that you have enjoyed the coziness of our bed . Your positive comments will be an inspiration to keep us focusing in the right direction in delivering the highest quality of service, with always a smile .

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in our resort for another experience of a life time.

With sunny regards from the Seychelles.

Jean-Marc Michel
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Seychelles is already known as a special destination, especially since Prince William and Kate honeymooned here. The Kempinski offers very high quality service on the beautiful Baie Lazare on the southern part of the island of Mahe. It is somewhat secluded, making it an ideal property for those looking for delightful peace and quiet, or simply quality time together. The rooms contain every creature comfort, right down to those kinds of quits that just put you to sleep. The buffets in the restaurants are varied and well presented, and a nice touch is that there is always a barbeque going on outside on the deck adjoining the restaurant in addition. There's a terrific facility for watersports toys, and various aqua fitness classes and kayaking opportunities also are on the menu.
This lush property is apparently not as exclusive nor expensive as other 5 stars like the Four Seasons or Raffles, but it certainly feels like it is. The service could not be more respecting of guests, and the atmosphere and decor reflect luxurious African tastes.
The main city of Victoria is a good 45 minute drive away down very curvacious roads, so do plan for that.
This is my second stay here and I feel very much at home!

Room Tip: If you want a bathtub, as I do, request it in advance, as most rooms only have shower facilities.
Dear Bea ,

Thank you for taking the time in posting your valuable comments on Tripadvisor regarding your stays at Kempinski Seychelles Resort.

We were delighted to have you in our care and are pleased to have exceeded your expectation. We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed our recreation activates and we are delighted that we were able to tickle your taste with our extensive food offer.
Your positive comments on our dedicated Team Members and our ornamentation will be our inspiration to keep us on the right move in delivering the best quality of service always.

Your 5 star recommendations mean a lot to us and we hope to welcoming you back for the third time in our pristine resort.

With sunny regards from the Seychelles,

Pune
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Meaning Amazing Splendor and Beauty in Creole -the local language ! The resort is surrounded with plush greenery and breathtaking landscape. The beach is one of the best and well kept in the whole world.

Went there for a holiday with my wife and were completely surprised by the reception, service and the warm and friendly nature of the staff in there. Everything that comes in as a package for peace mongers is well served in the platter full of gratitude and love.

Highly recommend place. An advice don't forget the sunrise and the sunset !!!

Room Tip: Beach View !
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JeanMarcMichel, General Manager at Kempinski Seychelles Resort, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Roy,

We were delighted to have you and your wife in our care and are pleased to have exceeded your expectation. We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your days in our resort and your positive comments will be our inspiration to keep our Team Members on the right focus in delivering the best quality of service, with a smile throughout the year.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in our resort.

With our warmest regards from the Seychelles,

Snohomish, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Kempinski Seychelles Resort is a respectable lodging option with superior customer service. There is good reason for why this hotel consistently receives favorable reviews and I can only second the positive comments made by several other reviewers. This resort has been ranked No. 2 on Mahe Island for several months now on TripAdvisor.com. Once you pass through their gate/checkpoint you enter a tranquil oasis of sedate elegance, comfort and luxury. The resort is nestled in its own little valley encircled on three sides by steep hills and/or ridges but with an oceanfront setting on the northwestern portion of Lazare Bay (Baie Lazare). This gives the resort a feel of seclusion and privacy. There are no other hotels or urban areas nearby so you pretty much have the beach to yourself (along with the other guests). There is one negative about the beach that I’ll mention later. Be advised that this resort is located on the southwestern part of Mahe Island and is thus somewhat isolated. If you’re trying to “escape” from it all then this is a good place to do so. However, if you want to “party” or be involved in the social scene of Victoria, or you are occupied with activities and business requiring your constant presence in the north end of the island, then this resort may not be the best choice for lodging. It is a 30-minute drive by car from the Kempinski Seychelles Resort to the airport and a 45-minute drive from the resort to downtown Victoria. Given the distances involved taxis are not an option because they will be very expensive. There is a public bus service but their schedule may not be suitable, travel time will take longer and you will have a little hike from the resort to the bus stop. The bottom line: if you intend to stay at this resort and do your own sightseeing then you will need a rental car. In this case, keep in mind the following: car rental is pricey; gas is expensive; the typical rental car is small; roads are narrow with deep drainage ditches on the side; the pavement is not well-maintained; speed limits are low; and, traffic hazards in the form of people and animals walking or crossing the street unexpectedly is common. Customer service, quality and the overall setting is what makes the Kempinski Seychelles Resort. For me the positive experience began before we ever arrived while booking the hotel. I had questions and exchanged several emails with their representatives. I found them to be communicative, patient and helpful. In this day and age, it is nice to interact with people who are committed to assisting their customers. The hotel’s website is fairly informative and we recommend that prospective customers check it out including the photo gallery/virtual tour. The resort itself is not very large – which is a good thing. The lodging portion consists of 6 two-story buildings constructed in a meandering row from east to west with a larger, open-air structure segregating the lodging buildings into two clusters – the beach-view/sea-view group (to the east) and the lagoon-view/garden-view group (to the west). This layout determines the categorization and pricing of the rooms. The shape of each building looks somewhat like staggered condo units or tract housing with each building given the name of a flower and referred to as a court. The central structure encompasses the reception area and guest services along with two restaurants, bar, gift shop, game room, travel/tour desks, business center (with free internet access), meeting rooms, administrative offices, housekeeping facilities and support services. All rooms in the lodging buildings (courts) either face towards the ocean or look out over the lagoon. Perhaps, it is because of how the buildings were constructed using rock and wood but, to me, the overall exterior of the resort is prehistoric tropical. To be frank – and I can’t tell you why – it has a “Jurassic Park” aura to it. This is not a bad thing but, at the same time, it does not conjure up that sensual, exotic island sensation of paradise that one may expect in a place like the Seychelles. This aspect may stem from the fact that this is NOT a new hotel though it has undergone major renovation. In fact, it was one of the earliest, high-end hotels built in the Seychelles. This resort recently re-opened under the Kempinski name in February 2012 after having been closed for a while. For those of you who have been to the Seychelles before and either stopped by while exploring the island or actually stayed here – you will know this property as The Plantation Club. Seaward of the main building, the grounds consist of the pool, jacuzzi, beach bar, water sports pavilion and a fairly large sunbathing/lounging area along with gardens. The sunbathing area is between the pool and the beach and consists of several rows of thatched shade structures equipped with lounging chaises. Generally, you can find a shade umbrella and chairs at almost any time of the day, particularly if the hotel is not full. However, when the hotel is full or when the weather is truly idyllic then finding a vacant shade umbrella and chairs can be difficult. Several guests stake out their preferred shade umbrella and chairs immediately after breakfast and then “hog” their spot all day even if they are not really using it. Some reviewers have complained about the size of the pool and I can empathize with their gripe – particularly, if you’re a “pool” person. However, the criticism is also somewhat unfair. In terms of length, the pool is an “Olympic size” pool but, it has neither the width nor the depth of such pool. Realistically, the pool is laid out more like a lap pool and any adult can stand or walk around upright without becoming submerged. From what I observed, the pool seemed to be more popular with children and families. As noted earlier, the resort borders the beach and the sand has a fine, granular quality that makes it fairly soft and comfortable to walk on. However, the beach is not all that wide and it can almost totally disappear under water during high tides and storm surges. Because the reef parallels the beach about 500 feet or so offshore, the water area along the beach is protected from big surf and wave action. However, depending on the prevailing direction of the winds (notably from the south or southeast) there can be a chop on the water. The water itself is delightfully warm and the sea bottom is fairly shallow such that you can walk out towards the reef almost everywhere. In fact, while swimming you will touch bottom in several places depending on the type of swimming stroke you use. For those who like to snorkel, the underwater scenery is not all that fascinating. The texture of the seabed is fairly uniform and entails a mix of sandy patches and coralline rock combined with some non-descript sea weed. Unfortunately, this makes the seabed an uncomfortable and hazardous surface to walk upon. I strongly recommend that anyone wading or walking in the water wear rubber-soled beach boots or water shoes. For those of you who like to swim, or simply enjoy wading and frolicking in the water, this unfortunate aspect is probably the singular, most negative aspect of the Kempinski Seychelles Resort. All the scenic beach pictures that you see on the resort’s website or in marketing materials, or that you may have observed elsewhere, make it look idyllic but belie the prickliness of the seabed. The rooms at Kempinski Seychelles Resort feature a split-level design and are fairly spacious, modern and appropriately decorated with quality fixtures and furniture. All rooms will have either a balcony or patio depending on the floor. We were in a Deluxe Sea-View room on the second floor of the Hibiscus Court (Bldg. 5) which provided a view over the grassy grounds between our building and the beach along with a glimpse of the ocean in the distance. Relative to the overall size of the guest room, the bathroom itself is quite large and well-equipped. Housekeeping service is good though it can be inconsistent at times when it comes to the replenishment of the various toiletry and/or sundry items provided. We did have to gently ask or remind them to restock certain items on a few occasions. I do believe that the hotel tries fairly hard to accommodate and satisfy their guests and they deserve credit for that. As an example, in my opinion the mattress in my room was either a little soft or lumpy or had developed a depression through previous use and thus was not the most comfortable. I asked the maid if it would be possible to simply flip the mattress over or stuff a couple of towels underneath it to rectify the problem. Instead, they replaced the mattress – and, yes, it was better! The hotel deserves kudos for that service. The management team is courteous and attentive and they seem genuinely concerned about their guests’ welfare. Not only do they make an effort to be helpful but, they also make you feel welcome. At this point I would like to compliment the hotel staff/management for arranging a bottle of wine (gratis) and cake in our room upon arrival to celebrate our anniversary. I had notified them in advance and they followed through in a nice way. The front-desk personnel are equally competent and very willing to assist you. For those guests wishing to go sightseeing or do other tourist-related activities, the onsite tour agencies can arrange a myriad of tours, outings and water-related activities but the prices on some excursions are not cheap. The quality of food and service rendered by the on-site restaurants (Café Lazare & L’Indochine) is decent but prices are somewhat high - though not outrageously so. Café Lazare is a buffet operation while L’Indochine involves a sit-down, table service for dinner only. By and large, most guests will dine at Café Lazare. Some reviewers have complained about the prices and quality of food and there is some merit to their perspectives. However, the bases for their negative commentary may be rooted in some other issues. One issue is inconsistent food quality resulting from different cooks being utilized along with overcooking of hot buffet entrees that then become dry, tasteless and/or chewy because of the warming method. This is an experience that can be found in other large buffet operations – particularly near the end of a buffet service. The fact is that buffet operations focus more on quantity over quality. A second issue is the recycling of entrées and food from one meal service to the next or from one day to the next. Though, technically, there may be nothing wrong with the food, the fact remains that it is becoming older, staler, less flavorful and/or may have absorbed aromas from other items. Again, this is an aspect of buffet operations that leads to dissatisfaction. A third issue is menu repetition because of limited access to diverse food items. The Seychelles is a remote location and access to many, non-local, food items – particularly in a fresh state - is restricted because of logistical factors. It is a fact of human nature that continuously eating the same cuisine prepared by the same cook(s) over time will become monotonous and lead to apathy or dissatisfaction. A fourth reason is the fact that many guests are confined to the hotel because of its isolated location so that they cannot obtain an alternate food experience. As alluded to earlier in this review, you cannot readily walk to a restaurant, café or fast-food place to eat something different. This “confining” aspect draws out the discontent level faster, particularly if the menu is getting “old” and the quality is lackluster. Sad but true! In my opinion, based on my somewhat extensive travels, the cost of dining at this resort is congruous to that of many other resorts in their peer group, both in the Seychelles and elsewhere. In fact, when compared directly to some of their competitors, the menu prices at this resort are better. In summary, I don’t think the food was that bad and the prices are comparable to elsewhere. However, when the food doesn’t taste good and I’m paying a pretty penny – I agree, the food prices are then high! Of all the meal services offered at the resort, I do recommend the breakfast buffet for both practical and quality reasons. There is nowhere else to eat, the selection of entrees is diverse and most items actually tasted good on a consistent basis. Furthermore, sitting outside on the restaurant’s deck when the weather permits is an enjoyable and tranquil experience. If possible get a hotel package or rate that includes breakfast – it will be worth it. After all this positive commentary one may naturally ask – what are the negatives? There are none per se. But, there are a few things you may wish to consider. They are subjective in nature and may be inconsequential for some. Imprimis, the Kempinski Seychelles Resort is listed and marketed as a five-star property – a rating that I must disagree with because it implies excellence, perfection and being the best. This resort definitely merits a solid four-star rating. If I were to be generous and give them credit for effort then I could say they are a four-and-one-third-star property. I truly believe they are trying and, perhaps, in time they will live up to a five-star rating but not at this time. There is no one big thing or glaring item that stands out and prevents a higher rating. Instead, it is a myriad of small things. Examples of things they need to work on include quality control, consistency in service at a high level, attentiveness to detail, thoroughness in execution and improvement in facilities and amenities. Specific departments and areas in need of improvement include housekeeping, food service and facilities and furnishings. Secondly, the categorization of beach-view and sea-view rooms is misleading in light of the views actually visible from most of those rooms and may result in some guests feeling that they have been misled or cheated. All of these rooms are located in the buildings that constitute the eastern lodging cluster. The beach-view rooms are on the first floor (ground floor) while all the sea-view rooms are on the second floor (above the beach-view rooms). The problem is that virtually none of the beach-view rooms provide a view of the beach. This is because of fairly dense and tall vegetation adjacent to the beach that obstructs any view of the beach or sea combined with the fact that the observer has no height of eye to begin with. Realistically, the only view to be had is of the lawn area between the buildings and beach zone which is verdant but nothing special. All of these rooms basically provide garden views. An analogous problem exists with the sea-view rooms. The only difference is that you are one floor up so your height of eye allows you to look over the lawn area and vegetation bordering the beach zone. Unfortunately, even with the raised height of eye, the vegetation is still fairly dense and tall so that in many instances the sea-view rooms do not have a view of or over the sea. Because of gaps in the foliage of some bushes and trees, and because the vegetation is not too high in some spots, a few of the sea-view rooms will provide either a glimpse of the sea or a partial view of the sea or an unobstructed view of the sea. However, the number of sea-view rooms actually proffering unobstructed views of the sea is limited. From what I can tell, certain sea-view rooms in the Coco De Mer Court (Bldg. 2), Frangipani Court (Bldg. 3) and Ginger Court (Bldg. 4) will offer views of the sea depending on the orientation of these buildings and specific location of the rooms therein. In contrast, the rooms in the buildings comprising the western lodging cluster all overlook the lagoon and adjacent gardens and are described (categorized) correctly. Lastly, given the funky floor plan of the courts, I recommend that you try to get a room located in the middle section of each building that projects furthest seaward toward the beach – not the rooms which are set further back on the ends and thus have the exterior wall of the adjacent room as part of the view. Generally-speaking, our fellow guests were a diverse group from several, different countries, regions and continents. They consisted of couples, families and conference attendees. It is my observation that most guests are seeking the quiet and calm proffered by the setting of this hotel. Reading, relaxation and/or conversation seemed to be the preferred pastimes at the sunbathing area. However, some of the families could be noisy as a result of the kids running around, etc. If you are a couple seeking a quiet and intimate setting or someone who craves solitude and calm then this may not be the best choice for you. Also, if you are a non-smoker this may not be the best choice for lodging because several of the guests were smokers – serious smokers I might add – and the odor from their cigarettes could be quite strong. Generally, smoking was confined to outside or in open areas but the secondhand smoke could still be nauseating to non-smokers. Depending on the prevailing breeze or lack thereof, the wafts of smoke would drift in your direction and there was little you could do about it. Your table or shade structure was fixed in its location so you could not easily move them and, moreover, there may not be any other vacant tables or shade structures available to move to. Or, if you had found yourself a nice, open spot for laying your mats/towels on the ground then you would have to relocate to a less desirable spot. The point being made here is that you could not simply move elsewhere to avoid the smoke – nor should you have to! To be frank, the smokers appeared to be ignorant, oblivious or inconsiderate of their fellow guests. Unfortunately, there is no easy solution unless the hotel establishes clearly defined smoking and non-smoking areas and then enforces the policy for the consideration of all guests. At a hotel of this stature, I expect the staff to be attentive and concerned about all their guests and where appropriate take either discreet or overt steps to intercede without the affected guests having to say something. However, to be fair, this predicament can happen anywhere. Another minor annoyance was the presence of mosquitos outside the building which rendered the balcony unusable most of the time unless you had bug spray – which we didn’t. I don’t know if this condition was related to the time of year or specific building site or because of standing water from recent rainfalls but, those mosquitos could be pesky and they did bite. There was not a lot of them – just enough to be annoying. Fortunately, if you kept the balcony door closed they were never a problem inside the room. Oddly, there did not seem to be any mosquito problem at the pool and beach areas nor in the restaurants and main building. Finally, I wish to make a comment about the room rates. Let’s be clear, the rates charged by this resort are not cheap. You will spend some money. However, for what you get, the Kempinski Seychelles Resort is better than many other comparable lodging properties on Mahe Island. In my case I had a discounted rate which made it more attractive. In order to lessen the cost I encourage you to investigate the various room rates and specials the hotel is offering as well as exploring discounts or promotions proffered by other booking agencies or checking to see if you qualify for a reduced rate based on corporate, professional or personal affiliations. There are several less-expensive lodging options on Mahe Island but you will not find beachfront properties at lower prices. And while I think the rack/standard room rates are a tad high, they need to be put in perspective with the rates charged by competitors of comparable rank as well as the cost of constructing, operating and maintaining a high quality hotel in a developing country burdened with infrastructural, political/bureaucratic and cultural challenges. At this juncture it is important to recall the old adage that you get what you pay for. One of the benefits of higher pricing is that it generally ensures a better level of clientele. Apropos our stay, the hotel did not appear full during most of the stay and we enjoyed a certain level of relaxation that may not have been experienced at lesser-priced and/or lower grade hotels. My spouse and I highly recommend this hotel because of its tropical setting, restful atmosphere, clean and well-appointed rooms, suitable facilities, decent food, and commendable customer service.

Room Tip: The categorization of beach-view and sea-view rooms is misleading in light of the views actually vis...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bjaune,

Thank you for taking the time in posting your valuable comments on Tripadvisor in regards your stay at Kempinski Seychelles Resort in October last year.

We were thrilled to have you and your spouse in our care and are pleased to have exceeded your expectation. We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your days in our resort and your positive comments will be our inspiration to keep our Team Members on the right focus in delivering the best quality of service, with a smile throughout the year. Rest assures that we will strive to improve on some areas of your observations.

On behalf of the Management and Team Members of Kempinski Seychelles Resort, we would like to thank you for the highly recommended note of our Resort and we hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the very near future .

With sunshine regards from the Seychelles.

Jean-Marc Michel.

Been to Kempinski Seychelles Resort? Share your experiences!