“Truly Amazing - Unforgettable Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Seychelles

You added Four Seasons Resort Seychelles to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Seychelles
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Petite Anse | P.O. Box 1397, Baie Lazare, Mahe Island, Seychelles   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Baie Lazare
Dallas
“Truly Amazing - Unforgettable Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

There's not much more I can say other than that title. From the moment we got there we were treated like royalty. Coming from a not so good stay on Praslin this was a great way to end our trip. My wife had been sick with the flu the previous couple of days and after we got to the Four Seasons and checked in with in 10 minutes they had a nurse at our villa, doctor they had already called, we didn't end up talking to him and shortly after medicines and all kinds of flu friendly eats and drinks for her to attempt to try. From then on we knew we had picked the right place.

Other reviews have said the food wasn't great. I have to say while not the best food in the world for such a remote place and having eaten at other top hotels on the islands the food here was a very pleasant surprise. Everything from the breakfast, pool side food to the steak shack was perfect. They even have daily specials which were fabulous as well. The hotel really doesn't let any detail go unchecked. We had great gifts and when compared to a much smaller hotel we stayed at on the island I felt like management, including the general manager, were always on top of everything and made you feel as if you were staying in their best room. Villas are ridiculous and service is amazing not to mention so many activities that you have to force yourself into leaving and seeing the island, which is def worth it but even if you don't you will be more than happy with that choice.

Thanks for making the honeymoon so special and we look forward to returning for an anniversary down the road

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Alex_Porteous, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Seychelles, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
Dear Jay f,

Thank you so much for such a charming review. I'm glad we could turn your holiday around after your wife arrived with the flu. You're right about it being hard to tear yourself away, but there is so much to do in the Seychelles! What a great reason to come back though!

I hope very much that you can join us again for that anniversary vacation, but with you both at full fitness the next time!

Alex Porteous

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Arabic first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

The hotel property is beautiful. The beach is magnificent with powder white sand and crystal clear turquoise water. We thoroughly enjoyed swimming and the tropic surf concession was a great addition, as we found the paddle boards to be great fun and James, the Tropic Surf manager was very helpful and fun as well!

The rooms are amazing and we especially enjoyed the infinity pool and outdoor shower in our room. The spa was fantastic and we were fortunate to actually have a service with several wonderful massage therapists I actually met at the Four Seasons in Chiang Mai, Lek and Pat. They were incredible! The spa rooms are beautiful and the sunset from the rooftop of the spa is gorgeous. Contrary to many of the other reviews, we found the food to be quite excellent. Chef Jesse Olsen, in Kannel restaurant made our trip particularly special by providing us with unique, specialized dinners almost every night. We think Jesse is a great asset to the hotel, as he went out of his way to be friendly and helpful on a daily basis. The GM, Alex, was very friendly and interested in guest feedback as well. Henry, in Zez, is an excellent chef, too...hello...he came from Per Se in NYC.

The only real drawbacks in my opinion, are that the hotel is not designed for guests to walk anywhere, so you either have to take a buggy or risk being run over by one. There are no pedestrian paths. We walked almost everywhere during the day, but didn't take the chance in the dark at night. We also found that the service in the restaurants by the local staff was not even close to Four Seasons usual standards. For us it was basically funny, but I could see where many people would be very upset, especially considering the price tag. Drinks were frequently wrong, different or non-existant. We had to beg to get drinks and on more than one occassion they came AFTER our appetizers were finished. Sara was a notable exception. She was always very kind, helpful and pleasant to be around. Many of the other members of the female wait staff were somewhat unpleasant and unhelpful, although still the postives outweighed the sourpusses. In general, we also felt the menus in both restaurants were a little on the heavy side for a beach resort, with little balance of lighter fare. Fortunately, Jesse was awesome and made us feel like we had our own personal chef! The ice cream is fantastic too.

I would definitely recommend the resort in general despite some technical difficulties!

Room Tip: The higher the room the better the view!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear nyctuna,

Thanks for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. Great to hear you loved the property, spa and beach, and that Jesse, Henry and James took such good care of you.

I'm sorry you were disappointed not to be able to walk around the property as much as you would like. Unfortunately, the beauty of our Resort is it's hillside location overlooking the bay, which gives us such an amazing view. Your top tip was "the higher the room, the better the view" but I would add that if you prefer not to rely so heavily on the buggy service, then one of our garden-view villas would be perfect for you. That way everything (bar the Spa) is only a short, flat stroll away.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't find the servers in our restaurants up to standard. I hope that I can reassure you that this is not a commonly raised issue, but it does not excuse what you experienced, and I will follow up on it. If you have any other feedback then please do drop me a mail at alex.porteous@fourseasons.com - I'd really appreciate any other comments you can give, as we strive for excellence in all areas.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

You may find the title is something negative but I decided to give Four Seasons five star rating (4.5 to be exactly but there is no such option).

Seychelles is an expensive holiday destination, for honeymooners and holiday makers. So you have to budget in advance. Unfortunately the country's hospitality infrastructure is not as strong as countries like Maldives, who offers ample selections of hotels and resorts. So among all hotels and resorts in Seychelles, I think Four Seasons is by far the best.

So let me summarize the good/memorable areas and suggest something can be improved.

Good:
1. Location - not far from the airport (30 mins transfer) and the port to Praslin (40 mins).

2. Facility - room is fantastic, love the decor, swimming poor and most importantly, the view. You can just chill out by staying in your room for the whole day. Beach is fantastic and probably top three in the country. If you have budget, do select ocean/hill top view; if you are travelling with kids, then garden view is best as its close proximity to beach/restaurant.

3. People - staff are friendly especially the local ones, you can feel their friendliness and warmth from inside. International staff (Four Seasons staff from other regions) also provide you good services.

Something can be improved:
1. Food food food - it's definitely not the top-rated hotel/resort standard. Breakfast selections are squeezed in a small room (about 15 sq metres), which makes morning really crowded. why don't the management make it more opener? i.e. put the cold selection outside, leaving only hot ones inside. This can certainly make diners selection process more pleasant.

Food tastes okay, both from the bar restaurant and main one. But they are just average and nothing spectacular to be remembered, apart from the Japanese night, may be? Me and my wife cannot even remember a single memorable meal we had at the resort. Believe it or not, the highlight was a lunch trip to the nearby cafes (maria's). The management should be seriously considering improve the standard of food to impress people.

2. Something related to the first point. During our stay, there was a new restaurant (steakhouse) just opened, but there was no mention whatsoever. If the management was already aware of the issue (food quality and variety), you should try hard to promote and show the sign of improvements to the people who were staying during the changing period.

However, we were not even aware of this opening until our buggy passed by and the driver mentioned to us. What a shame we didn't try and therefore cannot comment. So communication is the key - communication between the hotel and people who are staying and will be staying in the hotel.

To summarize, if you are not too picky about the food, Four Seasons is the best option. I highly recommend this resort to couples and families. You will have wonderful time in Seychelles. Alex the GM wrote a personal card to greet us, we still keep that because not many hotels do that nowadays!

Here is a link to our holiday video, you can tell a lot of scenes are from Four Seasons. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQHY5rZkkVQ

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Bruce_cku,

Thank you so much for posting your review. Wonderful to see that you loved the location, rooms, and our wonderful staff. I was sorry to see that you didn't find the food up to standard. Since arriving at the Resort in December, I have been driving forward improvements in this area, and would love some more feedback. If you could spare the time, my email is alex.porteous@fourseasons.com.

You mentioned Steak Shack, which is actually a pop-up restaurant that we opened for the first time in December. I'm sorry to hear that it wasn't communicated to you. We reopened it over Easter, and it will continue to appear during busier periods and times when guests are likely to stay for longer periods, to give them another dining option; making sure of course that all our guests know how fantastic it is!

I just watched your fantastic video - it looks like you had an incredible time here and all over the Seychelles. Please come back and see us again!

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

. . . How wonderful Four Seasons Seychelles is!!! The most perfect hotel I've ever been to or seen. I'm a bit late in writing this review--I went there on my honeymoon in October 2010--but wanted to add my voice to the chorus of praise. We arrived at 10am, not expecting them to have our room ready for several hours. They greeted us with refreshing drinks and then took us immediately to our upgraded hilltop ocean view villa. Beyond the adorable (and delicious) happy-honeymoon cake and the chilling bottle of Veuve Cliquot--which were very much appreciated--the villa was breathtaking and enormous. Gorgeous views of the Indian Ocean. Modern amenities but exceptionally stylish and location-appropriate decor and amenities. The most beautiful bathroom ever. Gorgeous outdoor space with a daybed, chaise lounges, outdoor shower, and private infinity pool overlooking the ocean. The hotel itself is wonderful--terrific (but pricey) restaurants and lounges, the most spectacular beach (where they lavish you with complimentary citrus-water and mango sorbet, and where the kayaking, snorkeling, paddle-boating, and other water sports are all complimentary) and pool, phenomenal spa, etc., etc., etc. The staff were fantastic and incredibly accommodating. We had to leave for the airport at 5am, and they offered to (and did) bring us a full breakfast in our villa at 4:30! I could go on and on. I just cannot say enough about this wonderful place. I only hope we can return--and it can't happen soon enough!

• Stayed October 2011
Dear USTraveler91,

Firstly, WOW! What a review! Thank you so much for your kind praise. I'm so glad that your arrival and departure experiences were as magical as the rest of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, for a second honeymoon perhaps?

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Loved this hotel - It is roughly 3 years old and you can feel it is new. The rooms are just perfect, decent size, view is beautiful. We chose a Hill top vila (501 villa) which was out of the world and had decent outdoor space.

Bathroom with bathtub with magical view and shower, lot of storage space. The bed is great and comfortable. Coffee machine, Mp3 player... Internet not too expensive eur 10/day but slow. - not for downloading.

Outdoor swimming pool is just perfect size also, with view of the sea/cliff/beach.
We went now, around easter, very very hot and fortunately not too many mosquitos, we came well prepared though but the hotel has a lot of repellent and are well equipped for that. They spray the rooms a lot and you do not get any inside.
The beach is stunning, it is a quiet beach with not too much current vs the Banyan tree one. We did not have the time to go snorkelling but the hotel organises tons of activities 2x day snorkelling with guide, diving, yoga, ... it is great to go for kids as they have a club as well. Great for families.

We got engaged in this resort and the manager really took care of us from the beginning organising a perfect dinner with music. The staff is just trying very hard to make your stay ideal. The hotel was full and despite that we did not feel crowded at all. The only time you do not feel so alone is during breakfasts and dinners. You can just have them in the room. Although, unfortunately they do not include the inclusive breakfast free in the rooms which we did not like... (only between 4am-7am is free!!!) ....

The spa is amongst the best spa my fiancee and I have been to. The therapists are just incredible and very professional. My wife to be chose the lymphatic 90min massage when I chose an Asian mixture massage, 90 minutes worth spending. Last time we had such a good spa treatment was at the W hotel in the Maldives.

The main negative I would give to this hotel is the food. Breakfast ok, lunch ok, dinner ok. Although to be honest eur 55 for a Creole buffet is pretty good value. The quality was not great though. Not 4 seasons standing.

We will definitely come back despite the food. Very well managed. We are now at the Banyan tree in Seychelles and will write a review as well in a week or so.

Room Tip: The higher the better,.... we were in room 501 and loved it.
Dear go2728,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review of the Resort. We really appreciate all the feedback.

Wonderful to hear how your enjoyed the beach, villa and spa. Easter was very hot this year as it fell in April, which is one of our warmest months. I was sorry to see you were bothered by mosquitoes but glad that they didn't cause any problems indoors. Unfortunately they are one of the 'charms' of the tropics, but we don't suffer too badly compared too the majority of locations, and spray and fog around the Resort as often as possible without disturbing our guests and have repellant available in all our outlets, just in case.

You mentioned that you found the food to be the negative here, as you found it only "ok", and below the standards you found elsewhere. I would love it if you could drop me an email with any specifics about the food, apart from the Creole Buffet that you mentioned. The team and I are working hard on making improvements to our food offering, and would love your suggestions if you could spare a moment.

Many congratulations on your engagement, and lovely to hear that you enjoyed your romantic dinner to mark the special moment. We look forward to your return - perhaps for your honeymoon (we do weddings too..!)

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Upon arriving at the Four Seasons Seychelles, we understood the "Wow" factor that other reviews had referred to; they were not exaggerating! We were greeted warmly by Raphaela and other members of the staff at the lobby and provided with lemongrass iced tea. Even better we were advised that our villa was ready for us even though we arrived early--about 8:30 a.m. The villas are amazing, just starting with the all of the outside comforts; the cabana with the outdoor bed, the sundeck next to the outdoor plunge pool and the dining area were instantly impressed. Inside we were taken with the spacious and well appointed bedroom, the sumptuous bathroom and outdoor shower. We are well traveled and have stayed at luxury resorts, but the Four Seasons Seychelles is another level of luxury. We opted for the Garden View because of its closer proximity to the beach and fitness center. However, even if you love walking, you will appreciate the buggy service during your stay. We were overwhelmed with the view from our villa, plush, green surroundings and a fascinating mountainside.

Beyond the villas, the staff are very accommodating and cater to every need of the guests. Fresh exotic fruits are brought to the villas each day. The buggy service is very convenient and available throughout the large grounds of the resort. The breakfast buffet provides a variety of international fare including Asian, Creole, French as well as a variety of fresh juices (papaya and passion fruit--so delicious!) We rented a vehicle and were able to explore Mahe. But we had dinner at Four Seasons and very much enjoyed the specialty nights such as Japanese Night and Arabic Night (our favorite). These dinners include barbecue stations, and a variety of fish and fruit. We became addicted to the longans!

The beach is gorgeous and well staffed with friendly folks who provide drinks, fruit, etc. while you relax. However, there are many secluded beaches all over Mahe that you can enjoy during your stay.

The General Manager, Alex Porteous, regularly interacted with the guests and is an outstanding ambassador for the Four Seasons Seychelles. He provided great recommendations on places to visit in Mahe as well as Praslin and La Digue. We particularly enjoyed our visit to Le Jardin du Roi---especially the tortoises!

Our stay even ended on a glorious note. We had a late flight out, but were informed that we would be provided a complimentary late checkout. We were even provided a light housekeeping service which just enhanced our final few delightful hours on Mahe.

While we waited in the lobby for our transport to the airport we were fascinated by the bats that began to nest in the trees. Then we had to end this amazing trip and return home. Cannot wait to return!!!!

Room Tip: All of the villas have a great deal of privacy. We never heard any excessive noise anywhere on the r...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear jonahNJ,

I just loved reading your fantastic review. I will make sure that Raphaela and the other staff know how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for sharing your experience online.

Great to hear that you enjoyed the rest of the Seychelles - very humbling to get a name-check on here also! People sometimes don't realise what a wealth of activities there are here in the Seychelles, so thanks for highlighting that.

The team and I all look forward to welcoming you back soon. We are adding numbers to our Resort Tortoise Park, so there will be some new members of the team to welcome you when you return - I am sure you'll find them as charming as their cousins at the Jardin du Roi.

Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

We decided to have our 10 year Anniversary trip in The Four Seasons Seychelles. It was absolutely right choice to stay there.

The service and food is very good. The hotel layout look similar to Four Seasons Koh Samui but a lot bigger.

I would recommend to dine inside the hotel instead of going out to try local food because I would rather pay more for quality of food.

The management of the hotel did a good job to run this hotel.

You will never regret to choose FS.

Room Tip: Pick the hill villa instead of garden villa
Dear HongKongTrojan,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a fantastic review of our Resort. We really appreciate the feedback, especially from such a seasoned traveller as yourself.

Happy Anniversary again from us all. We hope you come back and see us again very soon.

Alex Porteous

Been to Four Seasons Resort Seychelles? Share your experiences!