“Spa is nice, but I wouldn't stay here” 2 of 5 stars

Announcement
Best Int. Spa Hotel!
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Mbour
Dakar, Senegal
“Spa is nice, but I wouldn't stay here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I visited the spa recently at the Rhino Resort and while it's absolutely lovely and worth every penny, the rest of the experience was lacking. It was not good food (for the high price) and the pools weren't clean and it's not near the beach--which I knew before I came, though, and that's my fault. I wouldn't stay here though and would stay other places in Saly and just book the spa when I wanted that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Arabic first
Bonanjo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Saly came highly recommended for this year’s vacation and because we didn’t have enough time on our hands, we decided we would stay right at the very best place. Using tripadvisor.com and hotels.com, the Rhino hotel came tops. Quite expensive but the reviews were glowing enough for us not to consider that at all.

We got in about 2AM. Check in was pretty fast and stress free. The room was superb and we simply crashed and had a good night sleep. The staff were pretty nice in a French way. I love the lighted pools too bad I couldn’t swim (sad). The line paintings everywhere were just too delightful. Already thinking of having something similar at home.

However I could say that the 5 stars given to the hotel weren’t earned. Throughout the 3 days we had quite a number of annoying issues

1 – Staff English was poor or non-existent. For a 5 star hotel, having staff with good command of English is a must, after all, visitors come from all over the world

2 – I was twice served in the room with a raffia basket missing one of the handles and the china sets were chipped. This was very irritating and extremely disrespectful. If not for my companion, I wanted the whole room service just replaced

3 – Someone barged into our room at the very wrong moments despite telling that they shouldn’t enter and it wasn’t cleaning because it was about 7PM

4 – We had a steak half-done even when we insisted that it should be well done

5 – The meals were just horrible. For a full-board stay, I would take that as a rip off. We would have been better off going about sampling other food in town

6 – The hotel is far from any beach and there wasn’t any hint of assistance of how to even navigate the local area. We were left to our wits.

7 – The bathtub was too small as if it was designed for only short people. I'm just about 6 feet and I couldn't fit in. We wanted bath bubbles but hotel didn't have one. So what's the usefulness of the tub if I can't make bubbles?

Would I recommend? Yes. But probably would never come back again. The hotel didn’t take away from the special moments we came for.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I visit this hotel last week with my two children after looking for hotels in tripadvisor. I was really surprised for the excelent reviews from the people who stayed there and what convinced me was the photos of the customers. In some other hotels the photos you find in the web are far from what you find, but this resorrt Spa is even more beatiful than in the photos. The colours by night make this hotel a very romantic place. The Spa is huge and it has a unique water falling that give you a masage of 200.000 liters of water per hour!!!! The food is excelent with an international menu. The staff is very friendly and well trained. The hotel has many awards being elected the best hotel spa in the World. My children didn,t want to leave The Rhino. I promised them that we will come back end of the year!

Room Tip: Family rooms are beatiful for children
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Levanger, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed 12 days at the Rhino Resort Hotel & Spa in May and June 2013. Already when you meet the staff at the reception desk for the first time you understand that you are going to enter a very special, excellent and secluded five star hotel which just has won several international awards as best small hotel in Africa and Senegal, best hotel & spa in Africa and Senegal and best International Spa hotel 2012-2013 after only 3 year of excistance.
There are several quiet and relaxing swimming pools, a well as a modern equipped fitness studio and a marvellous indoor Spa that blows and relaxes your mind and takes care of your body. As a medical specialist and physical therapist I can recommend professional and relaxing massage given of skilled staff. To complete the personal care program the hotel offers a wide range of treatments in the beauty salon.
The interior decoration of the hotel is given utmost attention which shows in every of the five different kind of rooms from standard to 3 kinds of suites which have a beautiful drawing that is difficult to distinguish from a photo which portraits African people and children, special Tao wan lamps and spears of the warriors together with nice soft bed linen made of Egyptian cotton. Air conditioning, bathroom with big bathtub and generous shower area together with other facilities completes the room.
The friendly and warm, English, French and Wolof speaking male and female staff is dressed in specially Mali water died colourful garments that reflects the vision and goal of the management to be the best hotel in Africa on every level.
The restaurant offers food of tasteful high international standard and the bar serves every drink you can imagine.
The hotel offers a wide range of activities from visiting an African market in Mbour, the Pink Lake, the island of Goree in Dakar or go on a safari tour. Within 5 to 10 minutes with cheap taxi you can enjoy marvellous sandy beaches with ever blowing and cooling winds at modern African, palm trees shaded and excellent Obama beach and Safari Beach which obviously is in need of renovation and updating.
Also within 10 minutes of the hotel golfers can play 18 holes at the Saly golf club. The Tees and greens, practise areas are maintained excellent. The fairways are sandy to hard sandy and you need to adjust your golf technique to tackle sand that can absorb a lot of energy in your golf swing. Skilled cadies will lead the way and is together with a trolley included in the green fee.
I fell in love with the Rhino Resort Hotel and Spa in Saly, Senegal and what it has to offer both inside the hotel and outside, and will certainly come back soon.

Room Tip: Advice to visit the internet site of The Rhino Resort Hotel & Spa for detailed information about...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Very beautiful resort, nice room, the spa here is very good, good restaurant and the services are good. I love the dishes cook by the cooker who study in Spain, love the way they decorate the plate. The spa is the best of ever, the most thing make me impressive from here is the spa. I love Rhino resort and I will be back and stay here whenever I have a chance to come to Senegal.

• Stayed April 2013
suisse
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The Rhino Resort was the perfect place to stay in Saly as a family of 4 with two small children, 1.5 and 5 years old. We stayed 4 nights there, and spent alot of time just enjoying the secluded resort, by the pool or by the bar area. The hotel staff are very warm and welcome, and the kids felt happy and at home there. The food is very good, the cocktails are delicious and the rooms are nicely decorated. The only downside is that all the family rooms are up one level which you access from the outside up some granite steps, and they have a duplex which means more stairs which is not very suitable when you have young children who have only recently learnt how to walk! So we had to change to a double room on the ground level which was OK, but a little tight with an extra bed and a cot on top. We'd definitely stay there again if we return to Saly!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed 4 nights, in March 2013. This is a top-notch property, and the service is among the best I have encountered in any hotel, anywhere. Almost all of the staff speaks serviceable English (we speak very little French or Wolof). The rooms are glorious -- we stayed with our daughter in a 'family suite', which has a separate loft area upstairs with two beds. The spa area is very unique, and we thought the massages were wonderful. The pool area is quiet and relaxing. The restaurant was excellent. Really no complaints. Saly is a beautiful coastal area with great beaches -- this Rhino property is not 'on the beach', but a 5-min taxi for $2 will get you to the beach area, or it is a 15 minute walk. This place is more expensive than others, but well worth the value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Rhino Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!