“Had a good time but would not recommend” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort & Spa

You added Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Bazaruto Island | Inhambane Province, Inhambane Province, Mozambique (Formerly Indigo Bay Island Resort and Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bazaruto Island
Flower Mound, Texas
“Had a good time but would not recommend”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Did a five night stay as part of a three week trip to South Africa. Based on American of South African Safari standards I would give Indigo a 3 to 3.5 star rating.

The island and resort is beautiful! The food is fantastic, and plentiful. Way above what I would expect for an all inclusive. Great Gym and Great Spa.

The beds and bedding are far substandard. It's about what I would expect from a church camp. You could see right though the sheets. Beds were about as cheap as you could find. Rooms are very dated.

Service .... The resort claims 5 star status. For 5 star status I expect my needs to be anticipated and service provided without being noticed. I would say half the staff is extremely friendly, and the other half wishes you were not there. My first night there, I'm jet lagged and take a ambien to sleep. Right as I'm going to bed, the maids show up and ask to clean my room. I tell them I'm going to bed, and no cleaning necessary. The maid takes the do not disturb sign and places it on my door. All well and good. I go to sleep, and for about an hour, Every 5 - 10 minutes they beat on my door yelling house keeping. After an hour, the start calling. Now when I take ambien if I fully wake up I don't go back to sleep. So I try my best to ignore them. Finally I pick up the phone and beg them to leave me alone.

I go to the resort for s Scuba diving. Upon arrival I ask to go diving the next day. They can't accommodate, no other divers. The next day they tell me they have a one tank dive in the afternoon and too show up at 3 PM. I do, and I sit for 1 1/2 hours waiting for them to teach pool work. I read the pricing which shows a very expensive up charge if you are the only diver on the boat. (This was not offered day 1). So third day on the island 3 other divers are scheduled for the two tank dive. Both other divers cancel last minute, I have to pay the single diver fee, without warning.

Not happy at all with service, and this was with management from the new company running around.

I'm not a big drinker, but like good wines with dinner. Inclusive wine list was horrible. Other wines offered were very expensive, and very few offerings. cocktails were poor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
RaniResorts, General Manager at Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
We greatly appreciate you taking the time to post your review about your recent visit to Indigo Bay Island Resort and Spa on Tripadvisor. Guest feedback is our most effective tool to ensure consistent quality service and continuous improvement.

We are very pleased to read your comments about our gym, the spa and our food offerings; however, it is disappointing to us at the same time that we did not meet your expectations overall and I would like to apologise for that.

We certainly appreciate your concerns about the conditions of the rooms, bed/bedding, selection of wines and complimentary activity offerings, which I will share with our team to see how we can address and improve those areas.

Thank you again for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Ballito, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Very laid back, chilled hotel ... nice beach and lovely pool area. The rooms which are and island syle nice, lead out to a grassy area with hammocks and then onto the beach. The food was amazing and the meals a constant delight. Service was good too. Children's play area not the best but with the great beach and weather I was quite happy to have them outdoors. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
RaniResorts, Manager at Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Indigo Bay Island Resort and Spa earlier this year. We have noted your comment about the children's play area to discuss with our team and establish how we can improve this facility.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you and your family back at Indigo Bay in the near future.

Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

never had a more honest & warm smile found like all staff at Indigo Bay. Thank you to all the Sergio's, Ricardo's, Louisa's & how they all named, you made our stay very memorable. Agree with other reviewers, the price tag is heavy but when considering with the Maldives it's still acceptable for the surrounding environment you will find. Sure some maintenance is needed but honestly where can you find a beach stretch like on Bazaruto with no other hotels or beach shacks splattered all over. Calling Thailand my home it's impossible to find anything similar in these days. Many activities to do and big thank you to Conrad & Anel who looked well after me.
Breakfast is a nice small spread out with live egg station, pancake & some hot items. Lunch is served in the Club Naval restaurant straight on the shore & can't be topped in terms off quality & service. Daily salad bar with antipasti & greens from the hotels own herb garden, daily choice of 3 dishes and a small pizza menu. Dinner was mainly set up as themed buffets in different locations within the resort. Mr Sushi rolling live Nigiri or cutting sashimi out of a King Makro, Arabic pizza bread live baked out of the wood fire stone oven and char grilled cray fish in huge sizes. Lots of variety and again all staff has been well trained & served with big smile. The highlight has been the wine paring set menu in 5 course and it's been presented in a very modern way, that I felt more being in a trendy restaurant off Bangkok rather on a small island in Africa. Special thanks to chef Thinus who has been always very entertaining & looking well after my special requirements.
The spa is impressive located on the highest point of the bay overlooking the whole resort. Charming Raiza is always present & even on lunch or dinner time she will look after you to arrange some treatment when needed. Trust me after some activities it's been a pleasure to just relax in one of the treatment rooms.
Rooms have been cleaned twice a day, always spotless and with up to date amenities and some small enhancement to the local environment. Reception has been very charming and assist on all occasion with buggy service, believe me there is quite some distance to cover in the resort.....
All in all a big thank you to GM Markus & his team who looked so well after me & made my stay a memorable one - good job well done

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
RaniResorts, Manager at Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

It is with great pleasure to note you enjoyed your stay and we succeeded in meeting your expectations. Your comments about our Team - especially Thinus, Rizia, Sergio, Louisa, Ricardo, Anel, Conrad and Markus - will be proudly conveyed to them.

We appreciate it is costly to travel to Moçambique and stay with us which renders your support and understanding of the destination invaluable to us. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back!

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The perfect all-inclusive honeymoon destination. Excellent staff, great food and a glorious location. We were well looked after, surprises/gifts in our room every day. Lots of activities to do on the water or on-land. Not cheap, but worth it.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your fabulous review on Tripadvisor. We greatly appreciate all feedback as this is the best way for us to gauge what we are doing right and where we can improve.

We are truly delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you will return to our magical Moçambique!

Warmest wishes,
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Bazaruto is a beautiful location in the Bazaruto Archipelago Marine National Park. Indigo Bay belongs to the RANI groups and is now under a new Asian Management.
Food: Besides some vegetables, everything needs to be flown in. If you are a fan of spicy and garlic buffet food, that´s the place to go. The setting of dinners varies and is often nicely set up. The few set menus are well prepared. After seven days, you can look up the menu from last week as the menu is repeated. Vegetarian dishes are not offered in the evening. Yellowfin tuna is served almost every meal in salads, grilled or as Sushi, although it is red-listed and highly endangered (www.greenpeace.org, www.sassi.org.za) to become extinct in the very near future as tuna cannot reproduce in captivity. Very sad for us to see that it is still caught, even in a marine conservation area. We are heading towards silent seas! Human responsibility, when will it start?
Activities: The bay is ideal for sailing and other non-motorized water sports. From the activity side there is definitely a lack of non-motorized watersports: One out of date surfboard, one damaged old Hobby Cat, no pedalos, one stand paddler, a few kayaks. The staff is not trained to instruct people in surfing or sailing. This makes the place dull as the vibrancy is missing. Sunsets are often spectacular although the evening tranquility is disturbed by motor boats and body boarding. The resort is mostly dominated by the big game fishing boats and the idea to hunt some endangered fishes and sharks. Indigo Bay offers more the impression of a game and hunting reserve than a marine resort to conserve endangered wildlife. - For snorkeling you can try Neptune’s Nursery (one of the few complimentary offers included in the package) but the coral reef is dead with only a few fishes left. There are some other reefs around for snorkeling and diving at additional costs. Depending on the location, the corals are 100% destroyed (very sad to see) up to 80% intact. The activity manager is very helpful to assist you in your daily plans. The Spa is beautifully located but also quite pricy.
Staff: The staff comes mostly from the local villages is amazing, very friendly, attentive and well trained. We have never met such an outstanding staff in a hotel! It is the big plus of the hotel.
Environment: The Beach Villas overlooking the bay are spacious with a South African town house atmosphere, with fully built-in Bosch kitchen (not needed). Less luxury would also do in such a pristine setting. Energy is supplied by a gas pipe from the mainland, water is filtered and recycled (relief for the coral reefs) and used as gray water. Waste is recycled when possible and returned to the mainland. Solar panels and wind energy are still not used. Some larger spots of oil spill can be found on the beach at Clube Naval. Indigo Bay is engaged in various community projects on the island. We found the obligatory "voluntary" community fees to be paid by the guest a bit over the top, as the costs for accomodation for literally a beach, sunshine and full board are very expensive. National park fees are charged in addition. Weekly clean ups of the beaches by the 10 communities should become a "must do" as the beaches of the national park are littered with empty oil cans and plastic. In the small shop at the Indigo Bay Resort the garments are all made in and imported from China.
The stay at Indigo Bay offers no good value for money. The activities such as snorkeling, scuba diving or tours on the island are at additional costs and quite expensive taking the already excessive costs for accommodation into consideration. The resort impression leaves a gloomy, sometimes depressive feeling, also supported by the unconsciousness of marine conservation and sustainable fishing.

Room Tip: Bay View Villas. others are quite dark and a bit out of date
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
RaniResorts, Manager at Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent visit to Indigo Bay Island Resort and Spa. Guest feedback is very important to us as it allows us to ensure we are providing our guests with consistent quality service and continually improving our product.

It was a pleasure for our team at Indigo Bay to meet you and your family; however we were alarmed to read that you encountered such a disappointing experience. This is certainly not the normal standard we strive for and we sincerely regret we did not meet your expectations.

We apologise for the limited availability of non-motorised water sports, but hoped we would make it up to you with all the special customised trips and activities we organised for you.

We also appreciate your concerns about the sustainable fishing and our menu offerings, and would like to assure you that we are following strict rules and regulations which includes the tag and release policy for fishing activities in conjunction with Durban’s Oceanographic Institute (ORI).

Thank you again for your feedback and choosing to stay with us.
We remain at your disposal should you wish to address your concerns further.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We spent 5 nights at Indigo Bay and enjoyed the peace it had to offer. The beach villas were comfortable and secluded and provided the privacy we wanted although a little tired in decor. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was good but lacked variety over the 5 days. Activities were often impacted by the weather and we had to change the itenary at last minute. The spa was wonderful and the therapist well trained. All in all had a wonderful break from the rat race of city life and would go again. Very close and convenient for travel from SA.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We value all feedback to aide in the enhancement of our service delivery and overall product.

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us overall. We do appreciate your concerns relating to the variety of food and room décor, and have addressed these issues with our team.

We thank you again for choosing to stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the not-too-distant future.

Wimbledon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights as part of a Southern Africa trip and Mozambique represented my wife's 100th different country visited. I really want to heap praise on the hotel , but struggle as we found the room tired, the food extremely disappointing and the restriction of choice of restaurant unacceptable. The beach also would only rate as a 6/10 compared to other beach holidays we have experienced.

Having said that the Island away from the hotel was unbelievable. We chartered a boat for two days and explored the island by truck on another. If the budget allows I would urge you to charter a boat to yourselves 'driver and helper included' and explore the outer lying island gems. We then found beaches which rated like no other. The two fantastic guys cooked us a BBQ one day on our own idyllic beach. Talk about romantic!!! Brownie points to last a year....we also swam with Manta Rays, snorkelled on immaculate reefs and even tried, unsuccessfully to find the rare Dugong.

You must go on the truck trip of the island. If you do, please please take some paper and pencils for the school. What an experience.

Overall the trip was great but only because we splashed out on the added fantastic trips, the hotel needs to invest in its infrastructure and service as for this budget you would expect the Wow factor which this hotel didn't have.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We value your feedback as this is our most effective means of ensuring we provide our guests with consistent quality service and continuously work on the improvement of our product offering.

We are pleased to note you enjoyed the Paradise Island excursion and island drive. We are, however, very disappointed that we did not meet your expectations - particularly where the room, meals and service is concerned and, for this, we would like to apologise.

Please rest assured that we are consistently working to improve these areas and would like to thank you again for your invaluable input.

Marketing Manager

Been to Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!