“Great Berber hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 28 Imlil B&B and Inns
Strabane, United Kingdom
“Great Berber hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights before climbing Toubkal and a 3rd night after the climb. This place is perfect. Set just outside Imlil in the Berber village of Mazik, and close to start of Toubkal hike, this Berber house is surrounded by the natural beauty of mountains. The views from our room and roof terrace were unreal. Hussian made us feel very welcome throughout our stay. Berber mint tea was available 24/7. We ate here twice for evening meal and both times the tajine was beautiful. We are so grateful for their hospitality and our stay here was the highlight of the entire trip. Truly humbling experience and we were sad to leave.

Room Tip: All rooms have great views from what we could tell
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

As a family of four taking a trip to Imlil for the first time Abdul, the owner, welcomed us in with open arms. After long days drive we were welcomed with fresh mint tea and generous and delicious meal of traditional Moroccan food (2 of us were vegetarian with he was more than happy to provide a vegetarian option). The aim of our visit to Imlil was to climb Toubkal, and a hearty breakfast was provided to fuel our expedition.

We needed some supplies for the climb and Abdul went out of his way to locate everything we could possibly need from water and fruit to hand made straw hats! He even offered to wash our towels whilst we did the climb and to provide another nights sleep there when we returned.

The property was authentically quirky yet accommodated to all our needs, Abdul and his family were more than helpful going out of there way to make us feel comfortable.

I would not hesitate to stay with Abdul again if I were to return to Imlil and cant recomend Gite Atlas Mazik enough.

The Stotts, Tim, Ewan, Meg & Kirsty

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

The previous two nights I was staying a little closer to Imlil in a budget place. What a difference this place was. The room had a big bed rather than just a mattress on the floor. There was a European style bathroom. Everything was clean. There's a big lounge outside and on the floor above. The view outside the windows in the lounge is just breathtaking - there's a steep drop into a ravine with lots of trees and you can see the mountains on the other side. Just outside the house you turn the corner to see the mountains on the other side. The walk to the place is also interesting as you pass by a stream through a little forest.

The food was amazing. Generous, not to say huge portions. Delicious and fresh. I even got some cherries when I asked for them specifically.

I also want to address the bed bug issue. I stayed at Gite Atlas Mazik in early June in that exact room as the reviewer mentions. But either the problem never existed or they took care of it. I saw no traces of bedbugs and woke up without any bites.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

-15 minutes walk form the nearest point of public transportation, which means you have to carry your luggage back on trails (whereas on the way towards the gite, someone is offering to carry the suitcase)
-the rooms are small, tidyness is ok, but could be more
- no clean linnen to sleep in, just the blanket everyone is using
-at first I was offered a room with toilet and bath outside, but I found the toilett very dirty and I had to share the shower with 6 young man, who where just sleeping next to my door in the saloon. Sure they talk and have fun, which is totally ok, but they occupy all place. After complaining about the condition of bath and toilett I was offered another room including shower and toillet. As I thought to the same price. Next day I was asked to pay more, which I refused.
As there are no shops and restaurants, you are luckey (or dependent) on what the gite has to offer. I ordered koefta in tajin and really got first time the so-salled Marrakesch train. The plate looked like vomited and just looking at it, I should have kown better, not to eat it. At least the family tried to help me with some special tea in the morning (but don´t think it has been for free).
Next morning I was asked going back to the first room. As I was fed up with changing the room every night, dirty toiletts and disgusting food, stomache-pain I decided to leave and had to argue about the price where they wanted me to pay double than we talked about. No excuse about the food and as the family members where not too polite, I didn´t find the spirit of this gite inviting me to come back.

Room Tip: before you make the booking make the deal about breakfast and dinner, because you have to pay extra...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed in Atlas Mazik one night before our Toubkal ascent and I have to say it was the best preparation ever. Room for four was clean, dinner was good, terrace view excelent, wifi fast and Ibrahim with his son were extremely hospitable. We also left our non trekking stuff in hotel and pick up them on the way back. Specialy shower and mint tea on the way back was highly appreciate by us. Very positive about this accomodation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

In my four months of backpacking through Africa, staying at this place was my biggest regret. Why? Because my stuff got infested by bed bugs and not only was I dealing with it for the last month of my trip, but now that I'm home, I am still dealing with it. It has caused so much stress and I'm now worried I have infected my apartment at home.

I stayed there for 4 nights in two different rooms. In the first, I woke up with bites on my hands, my shoulders, and thighs each morning. I've never had any problems like this, so I didn't know what it was, but one of the other travelers looked and said it was bed bug bites. I stayed in that particular room for 3 nights total. And a couple of weeks later discovered that not only had I been bitten, but they had also gotten into my stuff. I would not wish this on my worst enemy.

On the last night, I slept in a different room where the window didn't close and there was no lock on the door. In fact, there was a big open hole in the door where there should have been a window. The shared bathroom was smelly and there often wasn't toilet paper or hot water. The rooms were freezing cold, and I buried myself under 3 blankets every night.

The other thing is that the owner will try hard to sell you a full package (pricy meals at the house and pricy guiding services and rental of equipment/clothes) to the point where I didn't feel like they were being honest. They tried to get me to rent an ice axe and crampons even though they weren't needed for Toubkal. Another guy staying there got rented snow pants and other unneccessary equipment. And they seem to get a bit grumpy with you if you are not interested in the meals or guides. They charge different people different prices for meals and services so everything is bargainable.

On the positive side, the terrace was lovely. They were happy to serve tea whenever. And it seems that everyone who did the full package really liked it though, so if that's your thing then maybe give this a go. Bed bugs aside, if you are an independent traveler, I would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: The room I was in (with the bed bugs) was the one next to the bathroom on the first floor down. Stay...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I stayed here a week with my boyfriend and two other friends, and we thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated being cared for by Hussein, Brahim, and family. Nothing was too much to ask, they were genuinely interested in us and not feigning anything.
Hussein speaks good French, English, Spanish, and Arabic, which is VERY useful, and is one of the loveliest most earnest persons I have ever met. I wish I spoke Arabic just in order to communicate with his wife, who is kind and welcoming. It was nice to feel part of a family, with the kids around occasionally, as well as opportunities to meet various extended family members.
Food is cooked by Hussein's wife and other women in the family, and tastes beyond superb. It also caused no stomach problems for any of our group, some of whom were there 11 days in total! The only problem is that some portions are ginormous! The couscous for 2 was plenty for 4! Breakfast (included I think) consists of mint tea (or coffee if requested), incredible bread, scrumptious green olives, local honey, jams, occasional cream-cheese, and Argan or Olive oil to dip your bread in (if you request it, which I recommend!). There is a small kitchen with a fridge in which to store food, as well as a gas hob (on request) on which to cook if you don't fancy the food. Tagines were also marvelous, especially the one with meatballs and eggs!
Rooms are very nice, but very cold at night (during autumn, winter, spring), so ask for an extra blanket.
The terrace: Stunningly awesome view, sun throughout the day, perfect place to do yoga. Have now built a trellis for shade, added extra chairs and tables and generally made it into a lovely place to be. It also is a good place to do your washing (although the family will also do that for you).
Walks around: If you leave the gite and go to the right instead of left, you can walk through the next village which is lovely, a little less touristic and with beautiful views. This path eventually takes you down to Imlil.
Another lovely walk to do is up the zig-zag road until you find a path leading off which eventually gets you to the waterfall (worth climbing some rocks and crossing the river to get to the mouth of the falls :) ) Brahim or Hussein can definitely help with walks and maps :)

Improvements: More regular cleaning of bathrooms, stocking up on toilet paper, cotton sheets for the beds, as the faux velvet ones really are hard to get used to (they do give you extra sheets if you want them). Maybe a little bit less clutter (there are a few too many tables). Making the stairs downstairs safer (although they do have a downstairs door.

Room Tip: The main floor double has it's own bathroom with (thankfully) a now fully functioning bathroom...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Gite Atlas Mazik? Share your experiences!