“Great if you want to experience village life in the High Atlas” 4 of 5 stars

Gite Atlas Mazik
Douar Mazik Imlil asni, Imlil 42152, Morocco   |
Ranked #9 of 25 Imlil B&B and Inns
Folkestone
“Great if you want to experience village life in the High Atlas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Gite Atlas Mazik sits perched on a hill overlooking the trailhead village of Imlil - gateway to the High Atlas mountains and, in particular, Mount Toubkal: the highest peak in North Africa at around 4200m. The gite is a 3 storey traditional village house attached to the owners' living accommodation. It is reached via a narrow path weaving through the village streets and a leafy walnut grove. Bags are carried by hand or mule from the roadhead. We booked through booking.com and were pleased to receive an email from Houssein, our host, very shortly after. Houssein is incredibly accommodating and nothing is too much trouble for him. He will arrange as much or as little as you want from your trip to Imlil, from airport transfers to muleteers, laundry, refuge accommodation and mountain guiding. He is a guide himself and an excellent source of information regarding the area. He is also a very good cook and his tagines (especially the lamb) are not to be missed!

The gite has a large main sitting area and a roof top terrace with outstanding views of the village and surrounding valleys. The rest of the building is dedicated to the bedrooms. Sitting in the lounge, you cannot help but listen to the sounds of village life - domesticated animals, children playing, people calling to one another, water gushing etc - its an extremely relaxing and authentic experience. That said, tech-heads can get their internet fix via the free wi-fi provided (I was able to Facetime my family from the roof terrace!)

Now here's the thing, though! Its this authenticity that might not appeal to some travellers. While the accommodation is spacious and comfortable, it is maintained to Berber standards. Facilities are basic and cleanliness does not equate with Western standards and expectations - the Hotel Inspector would definitely not stay the night! Flies can be intrusive during the heat of the day and insects in general become companions! If the owners wanted to appeal to more Western guests then they could improve the bathrooms, mend the broken window, clean more often and more thoroughly but I wonder to what degree this might spoil what was for me a magical experience. Certainly, Houssein and his family might expect to charge more if they made these adaptations.

We stayed on a full board basis (recommended) and I remained perfectly healthy throughout which leads me to conclude that the gite was perhaps cleaner than it looked.

We were treated incredibly well while staying with Houssein and his family and made to feel utterly welcome.

For me, Gite Atlas mazik was everything I wanted from my trip to Imlil and more. However, satisfaction is a product of expectation and I think it is only fair, not least of all for Houssein and his family, that guests book in the knowledge of what awaits them in this magical location. I, for one, will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Double on middle floor has ensuite
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Clonakilty, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Gite Atlas. We were greeted by Housein in the village of Imlil, where he brought us to the guesthouse, not to mention carry my backpack for me for the 15 minute uphill walk! The place sits high in the village of Imlil, making for stunning views out of every window & terrace. (Standing on the rooftop was like heaven.) Our room was simple, but clean and charming. Each day we recieved breakfast and dinner, which was included in the modest price of 200 dirhams (20 euros) per night. There was also no shortage of mint tea! The only negative thing I have to say about Gite Atlas, is the cleanliness of the toilets. Often the floors were covered in water and the toilets themselves definitently needed a good scrubbing. Other than that, everything was perfect. Definitely recommened if you want a simple, honest accommodation with a real Moroccan family.

Room Tip: All the rooms are similar, but I would recommend choosing one on the top (main) floor if you have an...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We absolutely enjoyed our stay at the Gite Atlas. We were given a good deal for a stay with breakfast and diner included. The family is super kind and the location is like heaven. The only point they should improve is the cleanliness in some of the bathrooms. Apart from that it was a super stay and will definately come again!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Leiden, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

The Gite Atlas Mazik was wonderful. Both the atmosphere of the hotel and the staff gave a very nice and comfortable experience, and the stay was very pleasurable.

The staff were kind and helpful, and the guided tours are highly recommended, since it gives an intimate insight into the nature. The area is in general beautiful, but the view from the terrace of the hotel made every morning seem like a painting, and the air was fresh and birds were singing around the windows in the morning.

The food was also excellent, and gave a taste of the local style of cooking, with typical berber ingredients and dishes.

It is very highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Worcester, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We loved staying with Ibrahim and his big family. Ibrahim and his son, Housein, were fantastic hosts. Always smiling. Their response to every request is, "It's no problem." Another son, Hamid, led us through the village to the start of a hike up to the pass and sent us on our way. You can request a family member as a guide or just go yourself as we did. The view from the pass was stunning. I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed staying here. For backpackers or anyone who wants to experience the lifestyle of a Berber mountain village, you can't go wrong here. If you want faux luxury trappings, best to stay in Marrakech at some fancy riad. But I'm so glad we made the trip here. The drive up the mountain at night was thrilling to say the least. Then you go by foot from the town to the nearby village, about a 20 minute walk. Bring a backpack, not a suitcase. Thank you so much, Ibrahim, for our wonderful stay. Meeting you and your family was one of the highlights of our trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Was staying in this Little hotel After climbing in the toubkal Area. Ibrahim, the owner of the House, is a very grienend and good-hearted man, who helped me whereever possible and was Interested in my Adventures up there. The Family serves excellent food and the great tea - to which i am already addicted - and they have wireless LAN, so i could make some calls Home out of the Atlas Mountains.
Shoukran to Ibrahim and His Family, I really enjoyed staying here.

• Stayed March 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

When Ibrahim picked me up from central Imlil, I thought that maybe his hostel was 5 minutes away. 20 minutes later, after the road had turned into a little mountain pathway, a simple river crossing and a tour through the narrow lanes of Mazik (or M'zik), we arrived at the hostel.
If you're looking for luxury, this isn't the place (and this is reflected in the price) - but this is somewhere with fantastic views, simple comfortable rooms (as the temperature drops, Ibrahim gives you more and more blankets) and wonderful warm relationships with Ibrahim, his family, and other guests.
Also great vegetarian food! Ask for the omlette - the best thing I ate in all of Morocco.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Gite Atlas Mazik? Share your experiences!