“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Friday Attitude

Save Saved
You added Friday Attitude to your Saves list
Friday Attitude
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   La Pelouse, La Pelouse, Trou d'eau Douce, Mauritius (Formerly Hotel Bougainville)   |
Croydon, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The hotel is in a lovely position on the beach. Rooms and staff are good, but unfortunately the food was awful. We had the same food nearly every day twice a day. Everyone was complaining but until a couple of days before we left nothing was done. They have got 3 new chefs so maybe it will improve now. Hotel needs a refurbishment badly because all the furniture on the beach is very tired looking, and there are no chairs in the garden behind the beach or in the front garden. The room was clean but again new chairs and tables needed on the balcony.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
H0tels_Management, Clifford Kwok at Friday Attitude, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Ann,

We thank you for your review and your kind words on our personnel.

Following the recent feedback on our food offering, we have, as mentioned in your post, hired a new Chef looking after the local and international dishes of La Licorne restaurant (guests comments are already very positive).

Your remarks regarding the beach and balcony furniture, commonly used by our guests and subject to hard outdoor conditions, have been transmitted to our maintenance department for corrective measures.

We sincerely hope to welcome you again at Bougainville hotel,

Clifford Kwok

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Turkish first
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is a small hotel, and if you want to have some very relaxing time, surrounded with magnificent nature, that's the ideal place on Mauritius.
The reception with a fresh drink, cold towels, and a warm smile, leaves you instantly comfortable.
The rooms are simple and basic, but comfortable and clean. Seems that several guests shared with me the pleasure of just sit at the balcony on the afternoon, just hearing the birds, as that is basically all you hear here. And there is a bird very common there (Acridotheres tristis or Martin triste) that make several different sounds... it's very nice to hear them.
The day after I arrived, I was personally greeted by the nice Mr. Clifford, the general manager, that seems to have a real interest in making everything perfect. We talked briefly about the comments seen here about the food, and he said that they had a Consulting Chef working with them to improve the food, and to try to please everybody, something almost impossible!
My humble opinion about the food is that you have a fair selection, and a very good quality. This is a 50 room hotel, and not a 1500 room resort on the caribbean, so, you should reasonably not expect dozens of different food varieties. However, you'll find everyday some type of meat, some type of fish, and some pasta, or other type of food. I personally don't like fish very much, but I ate fish several times, because it's normally delicious ! Every day we had different food, and even being "picky", we always find something good.
Some comments also complain about the birds on the restaurant. Well, you normally have birds only during breakfast, but... it's nature ! What could they do ? Close all windows and small holes, and let you "fry" inside the restaurant ? We adopted a simple strategy... we served on turns, and one of us stayed always at the table. If you leave the table alone, the birds will come to eat the breadcrumbs, but, if someone stays on the table, no problem... simple !
By the way, breakfast is also simple, but good, with eggs made on demand, bread, cheese, ham, fruits, etc.
The fruits, present in some form on every meal, are delicious. The best fruits I ever had in a tropical destination.
The drinks and cocktails are "average". It would be better if they were made with crushed ice.

But, the really best of all, is the beach... simply fantastic. Yes, you have some coral fragments on the sand, so, if you have delicate feet, bring something to protect them. But, that's a consequence of the beauty of the underwater beauty.
Please, don't even think about going there without having a look underwater! I will attach some pictures to exemplify, but, nothing compares to seeing personally. And PLEASE, protect the environment, and take care of the corals, this very delicate wonderful of the nature.

Within a 20-30 min. walk you can reach the village, but, take care, because the roads are narrow, and you don't have a sidewalk. Probably not a good idea to go with children.
You can take a taxi on the hotel front, and the prices are reasonable, and the drivers very kind. You could have better prices if you arrange them on the village, or on the beaches around, but, I think it's a bigger risk.

So, I strongly recommend this hotel if you like to relax, have peace, and you are a reasonable person. I described it to my friends with just three letters: "Zen" !
Thanks Mr. Clifford for your kindness, always asking us if everything was ok when we met. Thanks Sammy, on the reception bar, for your contagious joy.
Thanks Cindy, on the beach bar, for all the drinks.
Thanks all the staff (I'm very bad with names), for making these vacations unforgettable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
H0tels_Management, Clifford Kwok at Friday Attitude, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your long and very positive review on our hotel Bougainville.

Your review has been shared with the members of the personnel. Samy and Cindy would like to thank you personally for having mentionned their names positively in your review.

Your suggestion regarding the crushed ice in the cocktails will be discussed with the Food and Beverage department, thank you for your help to improve our cocktails.

I was a pleasure to meet you and I really hope to welcome you again at Bougainville hotel!

Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The food at the hotel was very bad. It was tasteless and the options were very limited. The rooms are also below standard. The only good thing about the hotel was the beach. There is nothing else to eat at the hotel besides the poor buffet. There is not much that children can eat either. We had to move to another hotel because the food was really bad.

Room Tip: If you staying here choose a family room. It is much bigger and more spacious than the other rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Attitude_Mauritius, Clifford Kwok at Friday Attitude, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your constructive review and regret that your stay in Bougainville did not meet your expectations.

Your comments have been shared with the Chefs of Le Fangourin restaurant.

Rest assured that we have at heart to provide a good value-for-money experience for our international clientele.

Trieste, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Friendly staff- great location(peaceful and ten kilometers of beach left to walk)-luckily room on the beach (fantastic view) very clean-all inclusive OK- food fairly good (we only wished more fruit for lunch and dinner).We'll come back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with OIT Hotels

Attitude_Mauritius, Clifford Kwok at Friday Attitude, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

All the team members of Bougainville join me in thanking you for your kind words on our Hotel and service.

We have taken good note of your suggestions regarding the food and have transmitted them to our Food & Beverages Department to be looked into promptly.

We always do our best to satisfy our guests’ requests.

We would be delighted to welcome you back in our ‘home’,

We wish you a Happy New Year 2013.

Dartford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

At the hotel at the same time as the previous reviewer. The food was a bit samey, the issue being the kitchen is at one end of the hotel and the restaurant at the other.

A quiet and secluded beach which was clean.

The barman was excellent, but I felt the restaurant staff held back a bit. I joked with the manager that I had cleared my own table so many times I was up for waiter of the month.

The rooms were clean and comfortable and the gardens well maintained and attractive.

All of the above was on the hotel feedback so none of this new to the management.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Attitude_Mauritius, Clifford Kwok at Friday Attitude, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Tim,

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor and your positive comments on our hotel.

I took the time to reply to your comments as we have recently put in place a new structure to manage our restaurant following some comments received from our guests: this includes recruiting a new Chef, change our staff schedule and review our kitchen structure and location.
We have seen some good improvements and I would like to once again thank you for sharing with us your feedback (with humor) as it helps us providing a better service for our guests.
Rest assured that we are committed to provide a great customer experience in order to create for our guests staying at Bougainville a wonderful holiday to remember.

We hope to see you again at Bougainville hotel,

With kind regards

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

No frills - but quite comfortable - 3 star hotel on the east-coast of the island. Very relaxing and very quiet. As I type this, I'm being serenaded by bird song and the gentle swell of the sea. Not the place to come if you are looking for bars, clubs or a hedonistic nightlife! At the moment the hotel seems to be operating at about 50% capacity (I'm told that there are 50 staff and only 30 guests)!

Early during my stay, I was approached by the manager, and asked if I had any comments or suggestions. My two small comments; about a faulty balcony door and over the availability of bottled water in the room were rectified within the hour! Pretty impressive.

My only two grumbles are over the variable quality and temperature of the food. It sits in trays - buffet-style over hot water - but is invariably only warm and the plates are unfortunately cold. I wish restaurants would learn that hot food should always be served on hot plates and cold on cold plates! As far as the quality of the food goes, I've eaten some really delicious fresh grilled Tuna steaks - so it could just be that the kitchen staff are lacking direction or a clear vision. My advice would be to aim for high-quality fresh local produce and keep the menus simple. I mentioned the Tuna to a waitress at lunchtime and lo-and-behold three small grilled tuna steaks appeared, just for me! I don't think this has ever happened to before. This goes some way to show the kindness and willingness of the staff to help.

PROS: quiet and secluded right on the beach. Small, only around 50 rooms. Friendly and efficient staff. Wonderful shower with hot water. Excellent rum cocktails.

CONS: rather hit and miss food.

If the food had been more consistent, I would have given the hotel 5 stars, as it is 4 is a fair rating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
hotels_attitude, Clifford Kwok. at Friday Attitude, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your kind words and constructive review on your recent stay at the Bougainville Hotel.

We have taken good note of your suggestions regarding our buffet and food offering. This will be looked into this week.

We are pleased you enjoyed your time in Mauritius while staying with us and we would be pleased to welcome you again,

Warm regards,

Noida, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Looking for a perfect place to get the max value of your money???THIS is the right place to do that everyone.The ambience,the staff,the food……..everything is awesome.Our travel agent , Mauritiusmania.com , did an excellent job by suggesting bougainville & giving us good under cost package ex-Delhi

I must admit after reading a few negative reviews I was a little worried about my choice of hotel. However as soon as I arrived, my doubts were soon dispelled.

The rooms are set in tropical gardens around the pool area, with a few overlooking the beach. Inside they are pretty basic but clean & spacious with a safe, TV & hairdryer. The maids did a great job everyday at keeping the room clean & left fresh flowers which was a nice touch. The pool area is small but as the hotel only has about 50 rooms, it never felt overcrowded. Plenty of sunbeds available around the pool & with the hotel being right on a lovely white coral beach most people spent their days there. The beach is beautiful, but made up of lots of coral so sea shoes are a must.

The hotel has a main restaurant overlooking the beach where we took breakfast & lunch each day. As the hotel only had a few guests we had our evening meal in the courtyard each night. Dint get bored of the dinner on any single day. Not even once. Yes the breakfast did get a little repetitive and the usual standard type menu. Bt the dinner was always special. We ordered variety of foods. A lot of them were being tried by us for the first time. But oh lord it was fantastic. So many dishes were just ..just mouthwatering. We did repeat a lot of them. It was perfect. A few things to which I personally was repulsive , I actually developed a liking to them. The sea food was made in the best possible way. All marks for the ambience and the service too. Totally dazzled by the place.

Entertainment was twice a week, consisting of traditional sega dancing on a Saturday night & small band on a Tuesday. We made some great friends whilst we were there including guests & staff, so tended to make our own entertainment propping up the bar! Monty who runs the main bar is an absolute star. He would chat away to everyone making sure their drinks were topped up & nothing was too much for him. The waiters & other bar staff were great fun also with their banter. Really did make our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
hotels_attitude, Directeur général at Friday Attitude, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear guest,

On behalf of the Bougainville team members, I would like to thank you for your warm appreciations of our Hotel and personnel.

Your depiction of Bougainville and recommendation to other travelers honors us.

We look forward to seeing again in our home,

Anil Mohabir
Resident Manager

Been to Friday Attitude? Share your experiences!