This is a small hotel, and if you want to have some very relaxing time, surrounded with magnificent nature, that's the ideal place on Mauritius.
The reception with a fresh drink, cold towels, and a warm smile, leaves you instantly comfortable.
The rooms are simple and basic, but comfortable and clean. Seems that several guests shared with me the pleasure of just sit at the balcony on the afternoon, just hearing the birds, as that is basically all you hear here. And there is a bird very common there (Acridotheres tristis or Martin triste) that make several different sounds... it's very nice to hear them.
The day after I arrived, I was personally greeted by the nice Mr. Clifford, the general manager, that seems to have a real interest in making everything perfect. We talked briefly about the comments seen here about the food, and he said that they had a Consulting Chef working with them to improve the food, and to try to please everybody, something almost impossible!
My humble opinion about the food is that you have a fair selection, and a very good quality. This is a 50 room hotel, and not a 1500 room resort on the caribbean, so, you should reasonably not expect dozens of different food varieties. However, you'll find everyday some type of meat, some type of fish, and some pasta, or other type of food. I personally don't like fish very much, but I ate fish several times, because it's normally delicious ! Every day we had different food, and even being "picky", we always find something good.
Some comments also complain about the birds on the restaurant. Well, you normally have birds only during breakfast, but... it's nature ! What could they do ? Close all windows and small holes, and let you "fry" inside the restaurant ? We adopted a simple strategy... we served on turns, and one of us stayed always at the table. If you leave the table alone, the birds will come to eat the breadcrumbs, but, if someone stays on the table, no problem... simple !
By the way, breakfast is also simple, but good, with eggs made on demand, bread, cheese, ham, fruits, etc.
The fruits, present in some form on every meal, are delicious. The best fruits I ever had in a tropical destination.
The drinks and cocktails are "average". It would be better if they were made with crushed ice.
But, the really best of all, is the beach... simply fantastic. Yes, you have some coral fragments on the sand, so, if you have delicate feet, bring something to protect them. But, that's a consequence of the beauty of the underwater beauty.
Please, don't even think about going there without having a look underwater! I will attach some pictures to exemplify, but, nothing compares to seeing personally. And PLEASE, protect the environment, and take care of the corals, this very delicate wonderful of the nature.
Within a 20-30 min. walk you can reach the village, but, take care, because the roads are narrow, and you don't have a sidewalk. Probably not a good idea to go with children.
You can take a taxi on the hotel front, and the prices are reasonable, and the drivers very kind. You could have better prices if you arrange them on the village, or on the beaches around, but, I think it's a bigger risk.
So, I strongly recommend this hotel if you like to relax, have peace, and you are a reasonable person. I described it to my friends with just three letters: "Zen" !
Thanks Mr. Clifford for your kindness, always asking us if everything was ok when we met. Thanks Sammy, on the reception bar, for your contagious joy.
Thanks Cindy, on the beach bar, for all the drinks.
Thanks all the staff (I'm very bad with names), for making these vacations unforgettable.
- Also Known As:
- Bougainville Hotel Mauritius
- Hotel Bougainville Mauritius/Trou D'eau Douce
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bougainville is a 3 star hotel of relaxed atmosphere, situated in Trou d’Eau Douce, along the east coast of Mauritius.Built along a very wide beach of fine white sand and a protected lagoon, the hotel is appreciated, among other things, for its genuineness, its welcome and the availability of its staff.The 51 comfortable and simple rooms are nested in warm ochre bungalows in total harmony with the trees and flowers of the garden around.Guests are guaranteed total exotic new surroundings between the swaying branches of the filao trees, the elegant paradisiacal Ile aux Cerfs on the horizon and the lagoon with its hues of blues and greens.Bougainville hotel is totally adapted for a relaxing holiday as a couple, a family or a group of friends. Sea activities lovers are spoilt. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Tingo, Venere, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick and Otel so you can book your Hotel Bougainville reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.