“Dissapointing” 1 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   La Pelouse, La Pelouse, Trou d'eau Douce, Mauritius   |
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Dissapointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The food at the hotel was very bad. It was tasteless and the options were very limited. The rooms are also below standard. The only good thing about the hotel was the beach. There is nothing else to eat at the hotel besides the poor buffet. There is not much that children can eat either. We had to move to another hotel because the food was really bad.

Room Tip: If you staying here choose a family room. It is much bigger and more spacious than the other rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Attitude_Mauritius, Clifford Kwok at Hotel Bougainville, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your constructive review and regret that your stay in Bougainville did not meet your expectations.

Your comments have been shared with the Chefs of Le Fangourin restaurant.

Rest assured that we have at heart to provide a good value-for-money experience for our international clientele.

424 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Turkish first
Trieste, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Friendly staff- great location(peaceful and ten kilometers of beach left to walk)-luckily room on the beach (fantastic view) very clean-all inclusive OK- food fairly good (we only wished more fruit for lunch and dinner).We'll come back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with OIT Hotels

Attitude_Mauritius, Clifford Kwok at Hotel Bougainville, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

All the team members of Bougainville join me in thanking you for your kind words on our Hotel and service.

We have taken good note of your suggestions regarding the food and have transmitted them to our Food & Beverages Department to be looked into promptly.

We always do our best to satisfy our guests’ requests.

We would be delighted to welcome you back in our ‘home’,

We wish you a Happy New Year 2013.

Dartford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

At the hotel at the same time as the previous reviewer. The food was a bit samey, the issue being the kitchen is at one end of the hotel and the restaurant at the other.

A quiet and secluded beach which was clean.

The barman was excellent, but I felt the restaurant staff held back a bit. I joked with the manager that I had cleared my own table so many times I was up for waiter of the month.

The rooms were clean and comfortable and the gardens well maintained and attractive.

All of the above was on the hotel feedback so none of this new to the management.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Attitude_Mauritius, Clifford Kwok at Hotel Bougainville, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Tim,

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor and your positive comments on our hotel.

I took the time to reply to your comments as we have recently put in place a new structure to manage our restaurant following some comments received from our guests: this includes recruiting a new Chef, change our staff schedule and review our kitchen structure and location.
We have seen some good improvements and I would like to once again thank you for sharing with us your feedback (with humor) as it helps us providing a better service for our guests.
Rest assured that we are committed to provide a great customer experience in order to create for our guests staying at Bougainville a wonderful holiday to remember.

We hope to see you again at Bougainville hotel,

With kind regards

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

No frills - but quite comfortable - 3 star hotel on the east-coast of the island. Very relaxing and very quiet. As I type this, I'm being serenaded by bird song and the gentle swell of the sea. Not the place to come if you are looking for bars, clubs or a hedonistic nightlife! At the moment the hotel seems to be operating at about 50% capacity (I'm told that there are 50 staff and only 30 guests)!

Early during my stay, I was approached by the manager, and asked if I had any comments or suggestions. My two small comments; about a faulty balcony door and over the availability of bottled water in the room were rectified within the hour! Pretty impressive.

My only two grumbles are over the variable quality and temperature of the food. It sits in trays - buffet-style over hot water - but is invariably only warm and the plates are unfortunately cold. I wish restaurants would learn that hot food should always be served on hot plates and cold on cold plates! As far as the quality of the food goes, I've eaten some really delicious fresh grilled Tuna steaks - so it could just be that the kitchen staff are lacking direction or a clear vision. My advice would be to aim for high-quality fresh local produce and keep the menus simple. I mentioned the Tuna to a waitress at lunchtime and lo-and-behold three small grilled tuna steaks appeared, just for me! I don't think this has ever happened to before. This goes some way to show the kindness and willingness of the staff to help.

PROS: quiet and secluded right on the beach. Small, only around 50 rooms. Friendly and efficient staff. Wonderful shower with hot water. Excellent rum cocktails.

CONS: rather hit and miss food.

If the food had been more consistent, I would have given the hotel 5 stars, as it is 4 is a fair rating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
hotels_attitude, Clifford Kwok. at Hotel Bougainville, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your kind words and constructive review on your recent stay at the Bougainville Hotel.

We have taken good note of your suggestions regarding our buffet and food offering. This will be looked into this week.

We are pleased you enjoyed your time in Mauritius while staying with us and we would be pleased to welcome you again,

Warm regards,

Noida, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Looking for a perfect place to get the max value of your money???THIS is the right place to do that everyone.The ambience,the staff,the food……..everything is awesome.Our travel agent , Mauritiusmania.com , did an excellent job by suggesting bougainville & giving us good under cost package ex-Delhi

I must admit after reading a few negative reviews I was a little worried about my choice of hotel. However as soon as I arrived, my doubts were soon dispelled.

The rooms are set in tropical gardens around the pool area, with a few overlooking the beach. Inside they are pretty basic but clean & spacious with a safe, TV & hairdryer. The maids did a great job everyday at keeping the room clean & left fresh flowers which was a nice touch. The pool area is small but as the hotel only has about 50 rooms, it never felt overcrowded. Plenty of sunbeds available around the pool & with the hotel being right on a lovely white coral beach most people spent their days there. The beach is beautiful, but made up of lots of coral so sea shoes are a must.

The hotel has a main restaurant overlooking the beach where we took breakfast & lunch each day. As the hotel only had a few guests we had our evening meal in the courtyard each night. Dint get bored of the dinner on any single day. Not even once. Yes the breakfast did get a little repetitive and the usual standard type menu. Bt the dinner was always special. We ordered variety of foods. A lot of them were being tried by us for the first time. But oh lord it was fantastic. So many dishes were just ..just mouthwatering. We did repeat a lot of them. It was perfect. A few things to which I personally was repulsive , I actually developed a liking to them. The sea food was made in the best possible way. All marks for the ambience and the service too. Totally dazzled by the place.

Entertainment was twice a week, consisting of traditional sega dancing on a Saturday night & small band on a Tuesday. We made some great friends whilst we were there including guests & staff, so tended to make our own entertainment propping up the bar! Monty who runs the main bar is an absolute star. He would chat away to everyone making sure their drinks were topped up & nothing was too much for him. The waiters & other bar staff were great fun also with their banter. Really did make our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
hotels_attitude, Directeur général at Hotel Bougainville, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear guest,

On behalf of the Bougainville team members, I would like to thank you for your warm appreciations of our Hotel and personnel.

Your depiction of Bougainville and recommendation to other travelers honors us.

We look forward to seeing again in our home,

Northwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My partner and I arrived Saturday morning 1030, tired after the long flights. We were warmly greeted by Christine, who said that our room was already ready and offered us cool fruit drinks. She accompanied us and the porter to the room and immediately responded to our request for extra pillows, which were delivered within minutes. The room was quite basic but comfortable and very clean; a fridge would have been a nice addition, but there was everything else we could have asked for considering the price we paid and the star-rating of the hotel. The beautiful pool was right in front of our terrace. The welcome we received was typical of every person working in the hotel, and we were made to feel like honoured guests throughout our stay. Unfortunately, my partner had a bad fall on the second Sunday evening (no fault of the hotel - tripped over a loose-fitting espadrille) and was hospitalised for two nights. The hotel team and kind guests swung into action, and I was bombarded with requests from everyone when I returned the next day, also the maids and gardener knocking on my door to ask about him with genuine concern. When I didn't feel like eating in the restaurant, the waiter was most insistent that I should have a sandwich or hot food delivered to my room. I had great difficulties with the admin department of the hospital, who appeared to have been beamed down from Planet Unhelpful, quite the opposite of literally everyone else we met in Mauritius, initially refusing to deal with our excellent insurance provider (Barclay's Bank) and not even responding to the irate Christine who did her very best for us and refused to charge for the many phone calls to them.

It would be wrong to single out one person for exceptional service, as we were superbly cared for by every member of the team.

Sadly, we (and many other guests) were bitterly disappointed by the quality of the food in the restaurant, apart from breakfast, which was always great. Everyone was so wonderful that I find it hard to complain about such wonderful people but feel that it is the only way to make a much-needed improvement.

To sum up, should we get reports of the food being vastly improved, we cannot wait to return to a lovely little hotel with a great atmosphere and a warm welcome and hope to progress beyond the final of the petanque competition next time.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room because of mobility issues but would recommed the floor above if you are...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Terry and Rod,

I would like to thank you for posting your review on your recent stay at Bougainville Hotel.

We are happy to know you enjoyed your stay in Mauritius despite your partner’s unfortunate accident and his hospital stay and are pleased to know the attentive service of our personnel helped make your stay more comfortable.

We have taken good note of your remarks regarding the food at the Hotel: your feedback has been passed on to our Chef who is looking into improvements to better cater to the different taste and needs of our International clientèle.

We would be delighted to welcome you again (and challenge you to a new petanque competition),

Bilbao, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We expend a very good time in Mauritius.

When we arrive at the Hotel after 11 hours flight fm Paris, with our little baby (1 year old) we were really tired and they welcome us with a tea and a chill out music... and we arrive early in the morning 9 a.m. but the room was ok and avaliable.
Unfortunately no refrigerator avaliable in the rooms...

No buffet service but we had every day a different menu to choose(Indian/Italian/French/Oceans...). Very good idea!

Staff very friendly and quiet place.

We really enjoy our stay even it was winter time and so windly...

Hope we come back one day :-)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
hotels_attitude, Directeur général at Hotel Bougainville, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback on your recent stay at Bougainville Hotel on TripAdvisor.

We have taken good note of your remark regarding the refrigerator in the room.

We are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay in Mauritius while staying with us and look forward to welcoming you again at Bougainville Hotel,

Resident Manager

Been to Hotel Bougainville? Share your experiences!