“Echo the Below” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   La Pelouse, La Pelouse, Trou d'eau Douce, Mauritius   |
Dartford, United Kingdom
“Echo the Below”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

At the hotel at the same time as the previous reviewer. The food was a bit samey, the issue being the kitchen is at one end of the hotel and the restaurant at the other.

A quiet and secluded beach which was clean.

The barman was excellent, but I felt the restaurant staff held back a bit. I joked with the manager that I had cleared my own table so many times I was up for waiter of the month.

The rooms were clean and comfortable and the gardens well maintained and attractive.

All of the above was on the hotel feedback so none of this new to the management.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Attitude_Mauritius, Clifford Kwok at Hotel Bougainville, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Tim,

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor and your positive comments on our hotel.

I took the time to reply to your comments as we have recently put in place a new structure to manage our restaurant following some comments received from our guests: this includes recruiting a new Chef, change our staff schedule and review our kitchen structure and location.
We have seen some good improvements and I would like to once again thank you for sharing with us your feedback (with humor) as it helps us providing a better service for our guests.
Rest assured that we are committed to provide a great customer experience in order to create for our guests staying at Bougainville a wonderful holiday to remember.

We hope to see you again at Bougainville hotel,

With kind regards

Clifford Kwok

406 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

No frills - but quite comfortable - 3 star hotel on the east-coast of the island. Very relaxing and very quiet. As I type this, I'm being serenaded by bird song and the gentle swell of the sea. Not the place to come if you are looking for bars, clubs or a hedonistic nightlife! At the moment the hotel seems to be operating at about 50% capacity (I'm told that there are 50 staff and only 30 guests)!

Early during my stay, I was approached by the manager, and asked if I had any comments or suggestions. My two small comments; about a faulty balcony door and over the availability of bottled water in the room were rectified within the hour! Pretty impressive.

My only two grumbles are over the variable quality and temperature of the food. It sits in trays - buffet-style over hot water - but is invariably only warm and the plates are unfortunately cold. I wish restaurants would learn that hot food should always be served on hot plates and cold on cold plates! As far as the quality of the food goes, I've eaten some really delicious fresh grilled Tuna steaks - so it could just be that the kitchen staff are lacking direction or a clear vision. My advice would be to aim for high-quality fresh local produce and keep the menus simple. I mentioned the Tuna to a waitress at lunchtime and lo-and-behold three small grilled tuna steaks appeared, just for me! I don't think this has ever happened to before. This goes some way to show the kindness and willingness of the staff to help.

PROS: quiet and secluded right on the beach. Small, only around 50 rooms. Friendly and efficient staff. Wonderful shower with hot water. Excellent rum cocktails.

CONS: rather hit and miss food.

If the food had been more consistent, I would have given the hotel 5 stars, as it is 4 is a fair rating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
hotels_attitude, Clifford Kwok. at Hotel Bougainville, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your kind words and constructive review on your recent stay at the Bougainville Hotel.

We have taken good note of your suggestions regarding our buffet and food offering. This will be looked into this week.

We are pleased you enjoyed your time in Mauritius while staying with us and we would be pleased to welcome you again,

Warm regards,

Clifford Kwok
Noida, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Looking for a perfect place to get the max value of your money???THIS is the right place to do that everyone.The ambience,the staff,the food……..everything is awesome.Our travel agent , Mauritiusmania.com , did an excellent job by suggesting bougainville & giving us good under cost package ex-Delhi

I must admit after reading a few negative reviews I was a little worried about my choice of hotel. However as soon as I arrived, my doubts were soon dispelled.

The rooms are set in tropical gardens around the pool area, with a few overlooking the beach. Inside they are pretty basic but clean & spacious with a safe, TV & hairdryer. The maids did a great job everyday at keeping the room clean & left fresh flowers which was a nice touch. The pool area is small but as the hotel only has about 50 rooms, it never felt overcrowded. Plenty of sunbeds available around the pool & with the hotel being right on a lovely white coral beach most people spent their days there. The beach is beautiful, but made up of lots of coral so sea shoes are a must.

The hotel has a main restaurant overlooking the beach where we took breakfast & lunch each day. As the hotel only had a few guests we had our evening meal in the courtyard each night. Dint get bored of the dinner on any single day. Not even once. Yes the breakfast did get a little repetitive and the usual standard type menu. Bt the dinner was always special. We ordered variety of foods. A lot of them were being tried by us for the first time. But oh lord it was fantastic. So many dishes were just ..just mouthwatering. We did repeat a lot of them. It was perfect. A few things to which I personally was repulsive , I actually developed a liking to them. The sea food was made in the best possible way. All marks for the ambience and the service too. Totally dazzled by the place.

Entertainment was twice a week, consisting of traditional sega dancing on a Saturday night & small band on a Tuesday. We made some great friends whilst we were there including guests & staff, so tended to make our own entertainment propping up the bar! Monty who runs the main bar is an absolute star. He would chat away to everyone making sure their drinks were topped up & nothing was too much for him. The waiters & other bar staff were great fun also with their banter. Really did make our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
hotels_attitude, Directeur général at Hotel Bougainville, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear guest,

On behalf of the Bougainville team members, I would like to thank you for your warm appreciations of our Hotel and personnel.

Your depiction of Bougainville and recommendation to other travelers honors us.

We look forward to seeing again in our home,

Northwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My partner and I arrived Saturday morning 1030, tired after the long flights. We were warmly greeted by Christine, who said that our room was already ready and offered us cool fruit drinks. She accompanied us and the porter to the room and immediately responded to our request for extra pillows, which were delivered within minutes. The room was quite basic but comfortable and very clean; a fridge would have been a nice addition, but there was everything else we could have asked for considering the price we paid and the star-rating of the hotel. The beautiful pool was right in front of our terrace. The welcome we received was typical of every person working in the hotel, and we were made to feel like honoured guests throughout our stay. Unfortunately, my partner had a bad fall on the second Sunday evening (no fault of the hotel - tripped over a loose-fitting espadrille) and was hospitalised for two nights. The hotel team and kind guests swung into action, and I was bombarded with requests from everyone when I returned the next day, also the maids and gardener knocking on my door to ask about him with genuine concern. When I didn't feel like eating in the restaurant, the waiter was most insistent that I should have a sandwich or hot food delivered to my room. I had great difficulties with the admin department of the hospital, who appeared to have been beamed down from Planet Unhelpful, quite the opposite of literally everyone else we met in Mauritius, initially refusing to deal with our excellent insurance provider (Barclay's Bank) and not even responding to the irate Christine who did her very best for us and refused to charge for the many phone calls to them.

It would be wrong to single out one person for exceptional service, as we were superbly cared for by every member of the team.

Sadly, we (and many other guests) were bitterly disappointed by the quality of the food in the restaurant, apart from breakfast, which was always great. Everyone was so wonderful that I find it hard to complain about such wonderful people but feel that it is the only way to make a much-needed improvement.

To sum up, should we get reports of the food being vastly improved, we cannot wait to return to a lovely little hotel with a great atmosphere and a warm welcome and hope to progress beyond the final of the petanque competition next time.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room because of mobility issues but would recommed the floor above if you are...
Dear Terry and Rod,

I would like to thank you for posting your review on your recent stay at Bougainville Hotel.

We are happy to know you enjoyed your stay in Mauritius despite your partner’s unfortunate accident and his hospital stay and are pleased to know the attentive service of our personnel helped make your stay more comfortable.

We have taken good note of your remarks regarding the food at the Hotel: your feedback has been passed on to our Chef who is looking into improvements to better cater to the different taste and needs of our International clientèle.

We would be delighted to welcome you again (and challenge you to a new petanque competition),

Bilbao, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We expend a very good time in Mauritius.

When we arrive at the Hotel after 11 hours flight fm Paris, with our little baby (1 year old) we were really tired and they welcome us with a tea and a chill out music... and we arrive early in the morning 9 a.m. but the room was ok and avaliable.
Unfortunately no refrigerator avaliable in the rooms...

No buffet service but we had every day a different menu to choose(Indian/Italian/French/Oceans...). Very good idea!

Staff very friendly and quiet place.

We really enjoy our stay even it was winter time and so windly...

Hope we come back one day :-)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
hotels_attitude, Directeur général at Hotel Bougainville, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback on your recent stay at Bougainville Hotel on TripAdvisor.

We have taken good note of your remark regarding the refrigerator in the room.

We are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay in Mauritius while staying with us and look forward to welcoming you again at Bougainville Hotel,

Zimbabwe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

It was an awesome place to just sit, relax and enjoy the beach. Although the wind was quite heavy we managed to get some sun. All the staff at Hotel Bougainville was very pleasant and friendly. Few things we would like to have changed was the variety of food. They did try and make every night different with themes, but if you for instance do not each "Seafood" then you are in trouble. A buffet would work a lot better.

Would like to thank everybody at Hotel Bougainville for a wonderful, relaxing holiday.
Loved it.

As for BEN CADET - the PADI diving instructor - he was just awesome. He acted very professional at all times and we managed to get certified in open water diving. THANKS Ben, you made the trip worth whilst. All i can say if you want to learn to dive, Ben is your man!!

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for your kind words on your recent stay at Bougainville Hotel: we are glad you keep a good memory of your Holidays with us.

We have taken good note of your remark on our food offering, which we will consider with much care.

Rest assured that your feedback will be passed on to Ben from the Dive Passion / Ben Cadet Diving Centre.

All the best,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

OK -You might as well pour a glass of red,relax & get comfortable - this could take a while!!!.
(In fact i have just read it through again and I still cant believe everything!)

Ok-Sitting comfortably - have you topped up the red?- great -well here we go!!

We arrived back last week after spending 3 weeks at the Bougainville and like others I was a bit concerned about other reviews I had read but I can honestly say we had the most fantastic time.

Our car picked us up from the airport mid morning after a long flight and drove us along the coast through lots of small villages and sugar cane plantations to the hotel which is set in a quiet residential area surrounded by farmland.
From the moment we arrived we fell in love with the wonderful hotel and the amazing staff.
Check in was very easy -on arrival we were greeted by the very friendly & helpful receptionist, invited to have a seat, offered scented towels & a refreshing fruit drink. Christina explained everything ie facilities/ all inclusive/gave us our keys etc at which point the very friendly manager (Anil) came over to introduce himself whilst a staff member took our bags to our room.
We were in room 218, (great location) which was set at the bottom of the beautifully tended gardens right next to the beach & main restaurant. The room was light & airy and very clean - (TV, electronic room safe/ tea-coffee facilities/excellent air conditioning/ very good shower/ wall mounted hairdryer and a separate WC)
As this hotel only has approx 50 rooms it never felt crowed/and the staff knew all the guests- a wonderfully intimate place.
The hotel has a lovely- quiet/relaxing pool area set in the midddle of the gardens with lots of loungers etc. and the beautiful scent of the flowers all around. It also has a quiet,leafy courtyard area next to the reception area which I loved- as it has a wonderfully relaxing Zen like water feature that runs from the main entrance right through to the reception area. So relaxing, watching the tiny muti-coloured lizards that live in the trees- speedy little guys but love having their photgraphs taken!!

The main restaurant area appears to have recently decorated - fresh & clean looking although there was still a few sparrows loitering!( although not as bad as I expected going by other reviews) and this come from someone who is terrified of birds!!
The food was good - breakfast was served here as a buffet - ie cereal/ cheeses/ cold meats/ pancake bar/ omelette bar/ toast/ preserves etc. ( loved the freshly made omelettes) and the staff were fantastic - usually Cindy- a sweetheart and very friendly / Sunny- always smiling and very helpful and of course- the lovely Sunile - a delightful man- we loved him!!
Lunch -(also served here)- sometimes a buffet (curry/pastas etc) or a set menu with 3 starters,about 6 choices of mains- (mini grilled steak - great!) and desserts.
Dinner was often served at the courtyard ( depending on number of guests) which was lovely. The evening menu was usually good - 4 courses with 2 choice of main meals to pick from -(either fish or meat) we alway found something we enjoyed.
The waiting staff were great- well orgainised and friendly -just young lads -( Nadeesh & Kedish) but with a wicked sense of humour and very funny.
There was also entertainment a few nights a week - either "Sega" dancers or local singers/musicians etc as well as a TV area with a good selection of international channels/ football/ sports etc, a small library area & a small gift shop!
The sitting area at the main bar/reception arera was so cool & comfortable with good quality funishings - ie beautiful wicker sofas with lovely thick cushions that you just sink in to - a great comfortable area to relax & read / sit & chat or enjoy afternooon tea/coffee/chocolate & pancakes. (served everyday between 3-5pm-- Yum!!) There is also a pool table if you want to play!
The hotel offers spa treatments- absolute bliss and reasonably priced with no hard sell unlike some places/cruises etc I have been on! and the girl who does them is lovely- very friendly.
And obviously as an all inclusive resort we obviously had to try a few of the cocktails/drinks served by the famous Monty.They were delicious- very moreish and husband says the local beer they served was pretty good as well (and believe me- he is very fussy about his beer)
The wine served with meals etc is very palatable as well.
The beach at this hotel as got to be one of the most beautiful in Mauritius- it is quite small but stunning with the most perfect white sand/ loads of loungers/ sun canopies etc. it is stunning and wonderfully peaceful- absolute heaven!! It is so clean - the staff are always tending it! Although , i would advise bringing beach/water shoes as there is a lot of razor sharp coral in the water- even in the shallow area!
There is also a small lawn area at the back of the beach to sit and enjoy a cool G & T after lunch!! Which, in fact -is where the wonderfully beautiful "Madame Tifia" hangs out. "Madame T" is the very friendly & protective hotel hound (looks like a small golden labrador pup)- who protects eveyone. She is known to all the staff & she knows all HER guests & sees off anyone that comes near HER beach who is not booked into the hotel ( ie locals, tourists & other hounds- she's not fussy) -She watches all new arrivals check in & never forgets a face!! In fact -she adopted us and slept outside our room all the time day time/ night time -but she never once tried to come into our room- even when we fell asleep with the balcony door open - she just lay out side until we woke up after our siesta and every morning she would be sitting there looking in the verandah door waiting for us to get up. I must admit though- this was our fault - we encouraged her! She was just so beautiful. But if you tell her to go away - she wont wont come back.!

This also where you will find the boat house where you can get snorkel gear/ beach towels. volleyballs etc ( there a beach court at the far side of the beach) - just take the room card you are given when you check in and it is staffed by a very friendly chap who loves to have a chat about everything under the sun. There are also 1 or 2 locals selling trinkets at the end of the beach but they dont hassle anyone - they are quite happy to just sit and talk- again no hard sell!!
The staff at this hotel go out of their way to make you feel welcome without being "too overpowering & in your face".
On our 2nd night there, it was husband birthday and after dinner the staff on duty ie Sunile/Sunni and Monty appeared at our table with a beautiful little birthday cake for him - totally unexpected (we didnt think anyone knew) & delicious!!
Reception also has a small board giving prices for trips etc by local taxi/boats etc and I would recommend using them as they are very good compared to the holiday companies. ie- a full day trip of the south island for 1-4 passengers is a set price of approx £40-45. ( total price for the taxi - not per person). We really enjoyed our day - out driver was from a village about 20 miles away and knew everything about the island- he was a really lovely guy (Taleb) and the taxi picks you up at about 9.30-am at the entrance to the hotel and you can pick what you want to see! A great day out- waterfall/ temples/sacred lake/giant turtles etc and the hotel will provide a packed lunch if you are doing a day trip & will miss lunch. In fact our driver even stopped on a very narrow mountain road and climbed up a tree to pick guavas for us to try! The taxis are based outside the hotel and the drivers are a very polite- they will ask if you need a taxi but dont hassle you,the bus stop is also there ( approx half hr. service & about 50p fare) it goes to the local village (15mins) - then to the main town of Flac about 35 mins (market is Wed & Sun)- Think wacky races meets formula one- and you'll get the idea but you do get to meet some really nice people! The drivers get to know you -if they see you near the bus station, they stop in the middle of traffic to check "if you want to go home yet" In fact, waiting for the bus to leave the station I ended up sitting on the ground in the bus shelter playing dominoes with the drivers. (Husband just stood shaking his head)
You can get the bus to the Palmousse garden/Port Louis etc from Flac- again about 50p fare.(just over 1 hr)
On the Sunday before we left we had a "letter" delivered inviting us to join the manager (Anil) for cocktails / mauritian snacks etc the following evening. We duly arrived - to find that an area at the water garden area of the courtyard had been reserved for our "cocktails" We spend a few hours talking/discussing families etc/enjoying a drink and some lovely snacks with Anil -- he is a vey friendly, warm person and he seemed genuinely interested in our opinions of the hotel/ what we thought of the food etc ie how much I enjoyed the Mauritian style fish pancakes with the most incredible tomato jus & that I thought the AJay the chef made the best HOT/HOT/HOT green chilli paste (great with pasta/rice or anything actually!!) and husband stated that much as he had enjoyed everything about our stay- he really was desperate for a pizza. We really enjoyed our time with him.
As with most hotels there is an offiical check out time which is a pain as our car was not picking us until about 6.30 that evening for our late night flight but the next morning after breakfast we were advised by reception that we could keep our room ( free of charge) until out car arrived and were given a voucher for lunch ( all inclusive finishes after breakfast on your last day) which was a lovely touch and very much appreciated as it could have been a very long day other wise!!)
We went for lunch on our last day & had (another) lovely surprise-- we ordered lunch from the standard lunch menu only for Sunile to appear with what he called "One for the road"-- my favorite meal - the Mauritian pancakes and husband got the most fantastic pizza--specailly made by Ajay, the lovely chef. Info obviously passed on by Anil the manager from our meeting the night before!! We were stunned & delighted !
Ajay had also made me a jar of his SPECIAL hot green paste to bring home- Which I may add - i have had with just about everything since i got home! ( Their kindness was amazing)
We enjoyed our last afternoon at Bougainville stunned at the generousity & thoughtfulness of Anil and his staff.
We went to the courtyard about 5pm to wait for our car to arrive- we were given coffee etc whilst we waited and then the lovely boy from reception advised that our car was there but as it was early did I want them to tell them to wait until the correct pick up time??- but, if you have to go- well- you have to go! So we got up to collect our luggage but the staff already had it all in hand- and were taking it to the car. We got to the exit and were greeted by a line of staff & the lovely Anil waiting to say goodbye. We were stunned-every member of staff on duty appeared to be there and they all gave me a beautiful flower each from the tree outside our room window to bring home.
It was an incredible end to our wonderful trip to Mauritius-- I was in tears all the way to the airport and the only thing I was worried about was getting the flowers back to Scotland in tact- which I did- they lasted about a week &had pride of place in my hallway.

We had read some not so good reviews about the Bougainville but after everything that happened you wont be surprised that we think this hotel & its wonderful staff are the best ever!
I would advise anyone thinking of booking to to go for it and make up their own mind.It is the perfect place to chill out/ relax and enjoy .

Room Tip: We had room 218- right next to the beach. It was lovely listening to the waves on the beach. It wa...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
hotels_attitude, General Manager at Hotel Bougainville, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Le Bougainville for your recent stay in Mauritius.

Your review on Trip Advisor is very much appreciated and your kind words will be shared with our team members.

We look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel,

Kind Regards,

Resident Manager

Been to Hotel Bougainville? Share your experiences!