No frills - but quite comfortable - 3 star hotel on the east-coast of the island. Very relaxing and very quiet. As I type this, I'm being serenaded by bird song and the gentle swell of the sea. Not the place to come if you are looking for bars, clubs or a hedonistic nightlife! At the moment the hotel seems to be operating at about 50% capacity (I'm told that there are 50 staff and only 30 guests)!
Early during my stay, I was approached by the manager, and asked if I had any comments or suggestions. My two small comments; about a faulty balcony door and over the availability of bottled water in the room were rectified within the hour! Pretty impressive.
My only two grumbles are over the variable quality and temperature of the food. It sits in trays - buffet-style over hot water - but is invariably only warm and the plates are unfortunately cold. I wish restaurants would learn that hot food should always be served on hot plates and cold on cold plates! As far as the quality of the food goes, I've eaten some really delicious fresh grilled Tuna steaks - so it could just be that the kitchen staff are lacking direction or a clear vision. My advice would be to aim for high-quality fresh local produce and keep the menus simple. I mentioned the Tuna to a waitress at lunchtime and lo-and-behold three small grilled tuna steaks appeared, just for me! I don't think this has ever happened to before. This goes some way to show the kindness and willingness of the staff to help.
PROS: quiet and secluded right on the beach. Small, only around 50 rooms. Friendly and efficient staff. Wonderful shower with hot water. Excellent rum cocktails.
CONS: rather hit and miss food.
If the food had been more consistent, I would have given the hotel 5 stars, as it is 4 is a fair rating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bougainville is a 3 star hotel of relaxed atmosphere, situated in Trou d’Eau Douce, along the east coast of Mauritius.Built along a very wide beach of fine white sand and a protected lagoon, the hotel is appreciated, among other things, for its genuineness, its welcome and the availability of its staff.The 51 comfortable and simple rooms are nested in warm ochre bungalows in total harmony with the trees and flowers of the garden around.Guests are guaranteed total exotic new surroundings between the swaying branches of the filao trees, the elegant paradisiacal Ile aux Cerfs on the horizon and the lagoon with its hues of blues and greens.Bougainville hotel is totally adapted for a relaxing holiday as a couple, a family or a group of friends. Sea activities lovers are spoilt. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Hotel Bougainville reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bougainville Hotel Mauritius
- Hotel Bougainville Mauritius/Trou D'eau Douce