“Better all the time!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Surrey
“Better all the time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

Our 4th visit! Well you can imagine how we were somewhat apprehensive as to would it be as good as before. If it was this would be a record as we have only been to any other hotel three times before ( Les Sport St Luccia which ent downhill with change of ownership ). I did not win the lottery but fortune shined on us as we arrived the day europe shut down due to volcanic ash. For the next week the hotel was 100% plus occupancy, but you would not have known from an operational viewpoint apart from at dinner in 398 where getting a table was somewhat challenging in the evening & of course the towels on the beach loungers at 8.00am! We tried 398 twice & then went a la carte for the rest of our stay. We had a wonderful meal at Barlen's on our wedding anniversary & the next five meals we had there were as usal exceptional. There was one small glitch with my duck confit which was dealt with without any quibble (only paid for the wine ). Barlen was also very genourous & treated us to a meal as he has in the past. He has a great reputation for being the most friendly host, you almost feel you are at his diinner party, which of course you are! Now to safran, well what an amazing improvement in the last 18 months since we were here. The food was absolutely amazing, he has moved up at least two gears! We could not fault any of our six meals & the final meal specially prepared for us, including a personal menu was absolutely devine. Since getting back I have bought a small tandor oven to try out the recipes Ramesh gave us. The rooms on Frangipani were as ever exceptional as was the butler service both day & night. Nothing was ever a problem & we always had ice in the bucket for our duty free champagne. The Sega bar is a visit worth making, they have more snacks now, very difficult to show restraint! The bar staff are exceptional Ticram & Bheem made a great dry martinni & always knew what I needed! ( Bells & ginnger ale ).
The concierge staff where also very efficient,we needed written advice as to what restaurant we had booked on each night ( Age ). Marinna was like an understanding daugther. Well you cannot go far wrong going to this hotel!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
West Cumbria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

We have just returned from 10 days at Le Touessrok and thoroughly enjoyed our holiday. We had just been through 2 weeks of hell where our long awaited trip to Thailand was cancelled - twice ! (Volcanic ash, then no travel to Bangkok because of the red shirt demonstrations). Devastated, but supported by a fantastic travel agent, we did a last minute reschedule & headed off to Mauritius. I can't say we were disappointed !
From the moment we arrived at Le Touessrok, we were made to feel welcome and very, very special. Our flight landed around 7am and we were through the airport & on way to hotel well within 30 minutes. The hotel is around 50 mins drive from the airport, so imagine how delighted we were after almost 24 hours of travelling (Manchester - Paris, Paris - Mauritius), to have a slick & relaxed check in, with cold towels & fresh sorbet, be offered breakfast & have our room ready immediately.
After breakfast, we were given a tour and full explanation of the facilities at the hotel and guided to our suite on Frangipani island. Our luggage was already there. We were welcomed by our butler, who for the next 10 days provided the most attentive and unintrusive level of service I have ever experienced.

The suite was superb and unlike most hotels we have stayed in, the air conditioning was silent and hugely effective - no noisy fans rattling away or big temperature drifts. As it was west facing, it could be quite windy, so sometimes a little noisy through night (for those of us who live in the middle of nowhere, so are use to absolute silence at night !). The bed was firm and so wide we could lose each other (which you sometimes don't mind after 26 years together !!!). One slight minus was the length of the bed - my husband is 6'3", so he sort of had to lie sideways to fit !
Housekeeping was also superb - towels, bed linen and robes were frequently changed. Towels changed every time we used them, there were always more than enough available and they were all of the highest quality (no worn or slightly mangey towels in this resort). The massive "rain" shower in the bathroom was fabulous. Sadly we didn't take advantage of the huge egg shaped bath. We did enjoy the Miller-Harris toiletries - very good quality.
As we had a west facing suite, we only had morning sun. So if you like to sit out on your balcony in the evening sun, check where you're located. we still had a stunning view and were not overlooked in any way, unless you count any of the occasional passing boats.
There was a complimentry bottle of chilled white wine in our room and fresh fruit when we arrived and quality chocolates left every evening at turndown - bliss !

The minibar is well stocked but beware, it's very pricey - as are all the drinks at the hotel. This was the one good tip we had already picked up from trip advisor - take your own duty free or go out to local supermarkets for beer, wines & spirits, if you want a drink for your room. We paid about 60 rupees per large bottle of beer in the supermarket - it was about 200 rupees in the hotel. Average bottle of wine was 2000 rupees (£40). Cocktails were around 500 rupees (£10). This was one of the only things we were truly disappointed with at the resort, we're not massively big drinkers but we normally we like a pre-dinner cocktail (or two) and to lounge over a few post dinner drinks but with the high prices, we didn't really bother. From the relatively empty bars, neither did anyone else !

We made loads of use of the hotel gym - it is well stocked, with up to date equipment and friendly, helpful staff. It looked like the hatha yoga classes were excellent - but we didn't take advantage of them.
We did take advantage of some of the other facilities though....
Golf - I have never played golf in my life (my husband has played) but even I could appreciate what a fabulous course it was at Iles aux cerfs. The hotel offers free 1 hour tuition on the practice green with the course pro (remember to take suitable footwear & a shirt !). A boat ride, golf buggy to the clubhouse and great lesson in stunning surroundings - what a great way to spend a morning.
Water ski-ing - again, the hotel offers free water ski-ing tuition. You are taken by boat to the platform & provided with all the equipment & excellent tuition ( This time I didn't have a go but topped up my tan on the platform & had a ride in the speed boat). There were some families who had been there every day during their holidays & ski-ed like professionals !

The hotel also has a private island where you can relax in the sun. As with all the beaches & pools at Le Touessrok, you are welcomed with chilled towels & cold water. There's a good supply of bottled water throughout the day & the pool & beach service is excellent.
There are some hawkers on the main resort beaches but they are monitored (and limited) by the staff and are very polite, there was absolutely no hard sell.
We mainly used the small private beach to the west of frangipani island, it gets a fresh breeze and has a very small number of sun loungers, so if you prefer to be a bit secluded, this was the better option - although it did lose the sun by about 3.30pm, so we would relocate to the quiet pool. We rarely went into the sea, although it looks inviting, there are loads of sea urchins, so you need swimming shoes. I'm not that much of a sea swimmer anyway - so this didn't bother me at all.

The quiet pool was adult only and a very relaxing ambiance. The hotel is geared up for families, so if you don't want children around then this probably isn't the ideal place for you. We were surprised how many families were on holiday at the resort, particularly those with under 5's and small babies - hence the main beach and pool were a bit "bucket & spade".
I know ths sound selfish.... but I like a fairly quiet & relaxing breakfast, so I was disappointed on a couple of occasions to find "mr & mrs double buggy" sat next to us while they shovelled scrambled egg into sqealing infants. (Whinge over!)

398 is a fantastic restaurant & there is something for everyone, no matter what your food taste. At breakfast - Fresh pancakes and the fruit smoothies are a must. One really useful tip for your evening meal - if you are a couple and want a quiet, relaxed meal then ask to be seated in the Jasmine room in 398. The restaurant manager greeted us on our 2nd night and took us to the Jasmine room, we were able to get in there most nights. The ambiance is lovely and there are dedicated staff for the room who were really attentive and polite but never intrusive. I also loved that there was a dress code for the restaurants and hugely enjoy dressing for dinner.
398 has a mix of food that will satisfy every pallate. We loved the asian section - the fresh stir frys were to die for !
You could quite happily have made a mess of yourself at the sweet counter - each night there were different flambes and souffles, freshly prepared for you as well as a whole host of fabulous mini-desserts (thank goodness for that gym !).
We also ate at Saffron & Barlens, the a la carte restaurants at the resort. Unlike 398, where you only pay for your drinks (including water !) you get a 2000 rupee allowance per person at these places and pay for anything over that. Saffron was superb - quite simply the best indian food we have ever tasted. The service was also exceptional.
Barlens was also wonderful but it is rather dark in there, so the visual effect of the well presented food was somewhat lost.
We only had lunch at the resort on a few occasions (mainly because the breakfasts were so good - you didn't really need anything !) but on all occasions the food was superb. Try the barlens burger !!

The hotel spa is also stunning, we booked massages for the afternoon of our arrival - total bliss !
I had read on trip advisor that some people had difficulty getting appointments, this didn't happen for us and we got what we wanted - when we wanted it.
Top tip - Book yourself a pedicure & manicure before you head home.

Talking of going home......our flight left at 8am, so it was an early start for us (although if you prefer, you can do on-line check in at the hotel & transfer your suitcases the evening before). Our butler arranged our wake up call & breakfast in our room - not just tea & toast on a tray either.....the waiter set the table in our room and brought in fresh tea, coffee, juice, fruit, warm croissants, preserves & cheese - luxury, even at 4 in the morning !

The island itself is stunning, so don't spend all your time in the hotel.
Our tour operator had arranged our transfers through Mauritours, who had a desk at the hotel. We arranged 2 trips through them & it was worth every penny (rupee!!). We had the option of booking private tours with a driver at around 4000 rupees (total) for 6 hours or bus trips at 3000 rupees per person for 4 hours....No contest !!!
Ichmal (our driver) had worked for the company for years and knew the area so well, he didn't just take us to the "obvious" tourist places but showed us some more interesting & cultural aspects of the island. We visited local markets, trying fresh fruits, breads & bean curry and homemade ice-cream. We picked fruit. Visited a hindu temple, went to the sugar museum, had a guided tour of the botanical gardens and loads more !!! The national park, black river gorge and chamarel waterfalls are breathtaking.

I know I've rambled a bit but have tried to capture both the positives and negatives for a very private couple looking for rest, relaxation, high quality food and drink, a good spa & gym and the very highest in hotel standards.
If you choose Le Touessrok - Have a fabulous holiday and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did !!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

We have recently returned from getting married at Le Touessrok. We can not say enough good things about the place.
Our party consisted of 12 adults and an 8 month old baby. From check in to check out we had a great experience. We were greeted with a warm welcome and an ice cold towel in the warm Indian Ocean sunshine. The refreshing sorbet was also very welcome. We stayed on Frangipanni Island in a Junior Suite which have amazing bathrooms with huge egg shaped baths. The monsoon shower was also very spacious and really powerful. The bed was massive and very comfortable with an amazing view of the Indian Ocean.
The food at 398 was of a very high standard. There was always something for everyone's taste. We ate at Saffran the night after our wedding. This was simply the best Indian food we have ever eaten!!!
We got married on the resort's private island, Ilot mangenie. This was a perfect setting for our special day and we were made to feel like royalty. The staff were so welcoming and genuine. We had a beach BBQ which was absolutely fantastic. The wedding coordinators did a brilliant job which meant we could relax and enjoy our holiday and wedding.
The whole stay was simply amazing and we couldn't have asked for more. We can not recommend Le Touessrok enough.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

My wife and I had a rare opportunity of taking a long break together. Le Touessrok was our choice and we - of course - had high expectations. Our stay turned out to be an awsome and fulfilling experience. A warm welcome from the GM himself, a smiling and caring private Butler, a perfect attention to details from all staff members - always smiling and cheerful - , the finest food in each and every restaurant, great live music entertainement every evening. We aslso enjoyed superb SPA treatments. The property is well maintained and spotless. While beeing given a fond farewell upon check-out, we thought that we would come back again whenever possible.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Herts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

We have just returned from a weeks trip at Le Touessrok staying in a junior suite on frangipani Island. We had a fabulous time, the resort, the service - private butlers for your suite, the food, the atmosphere, the rooms were fantastic. We found a couple of areas a bit scruffy, around the tennis courts and the pathway to the boat dock to get to ille aux cerfe and illot mangerie was not befitting of a 5* resort, but it didnt detract from the beauty of the rest of the surroundings. I would definately recommend the suites on Frangipani Island I felt that they seemed to have the best location for privacy. However after a fantastic week, on the last night we were up late packing our suitcases and I wandered out onto our balcony around 11pm , imagine my horror when I looked down to see the security guard crouching on the balcony of the room below and peeping through the open shutters. I could see that the lights were on in the room and it was quite evident that the security guard was very much enjoying whatever it was he could see. I couldnt believe my eyes and I didnt sleep at all that night, thinking that we had left our shutters open most nights to wake up to the magnificent view of the ocean, we were on the second floor so it would not have been easy for anyone to spy on us, but still the thought made me feel awful. The next morning I made a point of going to reception were I spoke to the duty manager and told him what I had seen. He assured me that he would look into it and email me with his findings since we were leaving that day. We have been home 6 weeks now and I have had no email with his findings or an apology. This whole episode spoiled our trip to paradise.
However I would return since it was idyllic, but I would make sure that my room was not
on the ground floor and that my shutters were firmly closed at night.
Since returning home and giving it more thought, I am sure that this ' spying' probably happens at most honeymoon destinations . BEWARE!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

The moment I reached Le Touessrok I knew I was in for a treat, I've never been to a hotel where every fine detail is so carefully met and the staff are there to meet your every need. Since being back home in England it felt like a dream staying at Le Tousserok – I was in paradise.

My visit to Le Touessrok in Mauritius was for my friend's wedding at the hotel. I was part of a wedding group of about 45-50 people and despite what other people have written and complained about wedding parties at the hotel I thought that although we had fun and enjoyed ourselves we were nonintrusive and did not disrupt other guests. For those considering getting married there, you won't find a more idyllic location.

As soon as we arrived, luggage was dealt with and the check-in was so smooth next thing I knew we were shown to our rooms. I shared a room with a fellow school friend and we stayed in a deluxe room with twin beds. I won’t lie… as soon as we saw our room we screamed out of pure excitement. The view from our balcony looked onto something I thought you only find in the brochures - A perfect blue sea, sandy beaches and palm trees lightly blowing in the breeze… Along with the Flat screen TV with some funky colour changing back lighting, a huge egg shell tub, massive rainfall shower, his and her sinks and wardrobes, sockets for all international socket types, ipod dock and complimentary sarongs (I heard the boys got t-shirts) it was hard not to leave the room.

Food on holiday is quite an important factor for me. I’ve been to quite a few places where the food has ruined a holiday but the fact I put on half a stone when I got back says enough. Whilst most of the wedding guests were busy drinking, I was busy eating!! Breakfast in the hotel – there was something for everyone and over a week I tried it all and wasn’t disappointed. The waffles are a must plus the variety of local fresh fruit was wonderful in the morning. I didn’t sample lunch on most days as breakfast filled me up, but the wedding party did organise informal afternoon get-togethers and we had sandwiches, cakes etc which also didn’t disappoint. It was also the first time I tried smoked marlin which puts to shame our supermarket smoked salmon. You must try it while you’re out there. The hotel offers 3 main restaurants and we sampled all three while there and they were all good – the fine dining restaurant, Safran, however was outstanding. We had dinner there on our last night and it was some of the best food I’ve ever eaten.

One of the many nearby islands, Ile aux Cerfs, was a short complimentary boat ride from the hotel and offered lots of water sports. As there were quite a few of us, we all did different activites; banana boat rides, water skiing and kayaking to name but a few. Some were free and some had a small charge. Back at the hotel there was also a beach volleyball court which we took advantage of. Sadly I can’t comment on the golf course as I’m not a golfer. My friend however did have her wedding on the 18th and it was a beautiful setting. The beaches were relaxing and a world away from holidays where the beaches are full of locals trying to sell you things while you’re relaxing. However, I didn’t mind having the staff interrupt me asking if I wanted s spray of rose water to cool down or a portable DVD player whilst on the beach.

Through the hotel we also arranged boats to take us out to nearby waterfalls and spots to go snorkelling. We were a group of about 20 who went and paid about £12 each which was reasonable but for smaller groups and couples it is quite expensive. It was a great half day trip. The waterfalls were beautiful albeit a little dangerous having to climb the rocks. The sea was a little choppy on the day we went out so snorkelling conditions weren’t optimum but we were still able to see quite a bit. The local guys who drove the boats also caught Sea Urchins and let us try – very tasty as well.

All in all, I can’t fault the hotel. It’s one of the Leading Hotels of the World and it’s not hard to see why. Sure it’s expensive but to stay in paradise and be given the best food, drink and service – it was worth every penny.

• Stayed March 2010
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

My wife and I just stayed here in a Frangipani Junior Suite from March 13-20, 2010. Full disclosure, I didn't pay for this trip as it was our Annual Sales Incentive trip with my company, and in fact I believe we occupied all the rooms during our stay. That being said, I read the reviews here before our trip and was surprised to see some of the negative reviews for a hotel of this class. I have to say, we thought it was an an incredible and memorable vacation and definitely would be one of the top rated places we've ever been to.
Pros:
a) Food: We loved the food here, not sure what others are complaining about. The buffet is amazing and we made sure to start our day with breakfast everyday. Fresh fruit, juices, smoothies, omellettes/eggs/waffles/etc. to order, every breakfast meat you can ask for, etc. For lunch we had the fresh grilled seafood on the private island and it was AMAZING. Barlens was good (not great, only because the other meals were so great, but still very good), Saffron is a worldclass Indian restaurant, and even the food you ordered from the beach was great. I will say we went to some other places for food outside of the resort and I can see how some would think there would need to be more of a selection if you were staying a week or longer.
b) Rooms: Our Frangipani room was awesome and the "newer" section of the hotel. I did see my friend's room on the other side of the resort and although it was nice, our room was definitely much nicer and more modern (open layout and newer bathroom with eggshaped bathtub). All the rooms have an ocean view, so the view from the patio is great. The king size beds are very comfortable, soft on outside but still firm, much like a bed at the Ritz Carlton.
c) Service: We had impeccable service our entire stay. Our butler, Beemul, has been at the hotel for over 20 years and was awesome. He left us with a stuffed animal and t-shirt for our 2 year old that we had discussed. Apparently after 10 years of service, the hotel provides employees with a watch and Beemul's had broke after a few months and he hasnt gotten it fixed in 9 years since it was so expensive to fix. We brought his watch to the States to get fixed for him as it was the least we could do, he was amazing and always went above and beyond. My wife accidently stepped on coral and cut her foot and they had a doctor drive into the resort and he gave her a few stitches. Even he was great and the resort has a full-time nurse who continued to check in on my wife and helped her out during our stay there. We had a few massages there each, and every one was incredible. All the service at the restaurants, private island, concierge etc. were great, I really do not have one complaint even if I tried to be picky.
d) Activities/Golf: We golfed even though we're not regular players due to the course being so beautiful. Even though it was a very difficult course (we lost about 40 balls...no, not exaggerating) it was a great experience. We played tennis and had a few lessons from PBI pro and I can't believe I forgot his name but he was great. The courts are artificial grass and weren't the best, but still fine. There is another island that is a few minute boat ride with tons of water activities such as parasailing, water skiing, etc but we didn't have a chance to partake. The hotel also offers a guided bike tour into a local city and that was quite an adventure (roads are narrow, tons of cars and scooters passing each other). It was still a fun ride and nice to see actual town life. The people of the island were all very nice from our experience. One of the things you learn about is incredible diversity in ethnicities and religion and yet the overall society is very embracing of this diversity. Quite refreshing. We also had an excursion outside of the resort where we walked with lions, apparently this is one of three places in the world where you can do that.
Cons:
I really don't have many, so here's all I can think of:
a) Internet: I tried to do some work from the hotel and the internet is very slow, but I guess that's to be expected as Mauritius is somewhat in the middle of nowhere. It's still fine going to websites but downloading things would take time, and sometimes there would be a momentary lag in service.
b) Distance: again, not the resort's fault, but if I'm not sure I would go back there only because it was very far for us (from Boston, MA). We took a 7 hour flight to Paris and then a 11 hour flight to Mauritius and there was a 9 hour time difference. It was unbelievably beautiful but with there being some many other places to go to that also don't take a day to get there, it's tough to imagine we'll be back any time soon.

I highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to Le Touessrok? Share your experiences!