“So pleased we found this!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: SPECIALITIES: fresh seafood and fish from Mauritius ocean, traditional italian dishes and original "made in Italy" products prepared by an italian long experienced chef.
Johannesburg, South Africa
“So pleased we found this!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Brilliant food and service! We have eaten at most of the good restaurants in the north and have to say that 1974 is by far the best . It's a great location, we sat on the verandah, Guilia was charming and the food delicious. The menu is small but you certainly have enough choice and they are very incredibly helpful with selections. We didn't find it pricey given that we have been to many other restaurants charging similar prices for very average food. All the pasta is home made and the sauces are seasonal and could not be fresher. Our friends had the beef fillet which was cooked beautifully and apparently tasted wonderful. I had a home made ribbon pasta with fresh porcini and pancetta sauce. Yum.
If you like " chain food Italian " then you won't like this.

We can't wait to go back.

Visited January 2014

Mauritius
“Still dreaming about the meal we had here...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Yes, yes, yes - it's good. Very good. Not cheap but the food is so delicious, you won't regret it. No menu - but detailed explanation of choices. We had amazing appetizers - almost as pricey as the main courses but DON'T skip these starters - I'm terrible remembering what things are called, (my foodie relatives made the selection) so don't be put off by my unappetizing descriptions - we had some sort of fried cheese puffs, a salad with fish, fish balls in tomato sauce - All of them were Fantastic! For lunch, I had the dorado cannelloni in tomato sauce - I can't remember what everyone else at the table had because I was in a heavenly stupor. The tomato sauce alone would make anything taste good, but added to the light fresh fish filled cannelloni - what can I say, I'm still dreaming about it. I know someone at the table had the fish filet, but that's all I remember. We were all raving about our meals. Just go and see for yourself. BTW, it's across the street from the beach in front of a play area so my 5 year old twins were happy playing in view while we ate. We're definitely going back.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Johannesburg, South Africa
“A MUST”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I am very glad we went to this restaurant early on in our holiday as we returned many times. The food is incredible, and the chef and his wife are so friendly and helpful.

Honestly some of the best food I have eaten in my life. Fish, Mussels, in fact everything we ate was out of this world!

12/10

Visited December 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food and service, despite the rain!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We ate here about three weeks ago during our three week stay in Trou aux Biches.
There is no printed menu, on arrival the dishes of the day are carefully explained to you. However this means you have no idea of the cost of the dishes.
All our food was excellently cooked and very tasty and served by friendly, smiling staff.
The only downside, which was outside of the owners control, was the weather, the heavens opened just as our food was being served, but we were swiftly moved to a more protected table.
The pleasant surprise at the end was the bill, even including a good bottle of wine, it was not expensive.
They also arranged for a taxi for us to return to our accommodation.
We would have gone to eat there again, but they are closed on Sundays and Mondays.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Darwin, Australia
“A wonderful dinner shared with great friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I chose this restaurant for my last evening in Mauritius. It has great street appeal and the menu looked very interesting. What is fresh and local is what you get.
Our party of seven had a little fun with a re-marriage of our great friends and the dinner as the wedding reception. Flowers behind our ears, bouquets of flowers, renewing of vows and a wedding dinner. All the staff and fellow diners played along with our frivolity.
I wonder how good my Italian is - I chose pasta con gamberi & fiori di zucca, - pasta, prawns and zucchini flowers with a delicate sauce. Amazing flavors, beautifully presented. The rest of our group ordered fish cannelloni, fresh local fish in a tomato sauce with capers and olives, pasta with traditional pesto and burrata cheese and pasta with meatballs and ricotta cheese.
My choice for dessert - creme brulee. Just the right amount of crack, a creamy, melt in your mouth delight. The panna cotta was voted a very close second.
Loved this restaurant, could not fault anything. Excellent value for money, a good wine list at reasonable prices. It is a must if you are staying in or around Trou aux Biches. A seriously good restaurant. Thank you for a great evening. ( I asked the owner to write down in Italian what I had )

• Visited October 2013