“Perfect, Elegant, Luxury” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Trou aux Biches
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Perfect, Elegant, Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed at Le Cardinal on 11th December for a week with my husband. It was the most luxurious, attentive yet peaceful hotel I've stayed in abroad.
I would highly recommend this small boutique hotel to those who dislike large impersonal complexes, so evident around the island.
The food is superb and presented with loving artistry. The junior suite we occupied was huge with a fabulous outlook from our balcony. We stayed mainly around the hotel beach on the comfiest sunbeds I've ever experienced, swimming in the sea further round at the better beach of Trou aux Biches. The hotel infinity pool was perfect.
We took local buses to Grand Baie, an adventure from a bygone era!
This was a wonderful holiday in the middle of a Scottish winter and I would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean with a wide panoramic view, but I especially liked our room 1004 on ground...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is a little gem of a hotel. The rooms are among the nicest I have ever had anywhere in the world. They are large and laid out perfectly; plenty of space for your personal items. The bed, pillows and linens are great for sleeping. Rooms have a large flat screen TV with good selection of stations, huge bathtub, large balcony with chair and table, and a separate area with a small sofa and table. Wifi (fast) is available in the entire hotel. Robes and slippers are provided. Late in the afternoon a small snack is delivered to your room, 2 small items for each person.

The bathroom is huge and had great space for clothing and storage of luggage. Lots of hangers. Plenty of room for your toiletries. Shampoo, soap, gel, lotion, sewing kit, etc. provided. The shower has a rain shower and hand held shower.

We had HB and I am sure we gained weight. Breakfast was wonderful; selection was extensive. Fresh fruti, meats, different rolls, breads, danish and croissants, nuts, dried fruit, cereal and items cooked fresh to order. The dinner menu was very large and there were specials in addition every night. A few items had a surcharge. I did not have one bad meal here. There are several different breads to choose from each night. Meals were 3 courses and included an amuse bouche to start and 3 different cookies at the end. I had wine by the glass and the pour was generous.

Lounge chairs with thick cushions are provided on the lawn and on the beach. All have umbrellas and small tables. The beach contains coral so you have to be careful when swimming and walking the beach.

Service is friendly and top notch. I had a massage from their sister property across the street but in the Le Cardinal on-site facility (cabana on the top floor overlooking the ocean). Definitely recommended.

We rented a car and found the location to be convenient unless you are planning on doing alot in the south. Then the traffic might be onerous.

We thought hard and could only come up with 3 items to comment on: one bottle of water is provided per room at the start of your stay. A hotel of this caliber should provide a bottle every day at least (or one per person per day). A drying rack for the balcony or shower/bathroom would have been nice for wet bathing suits. And the bolser pillows always rolled off the sofa when you sat down on it. Honestly, these were the only "flaws" we could find.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Absolutely amazing. I've been around the world. I've done Maldives, Bali, Sri Lanka, Dubai, Goaetc etc and never have I ad such an amazing experience. Attentive staff, top class rooms and dining and they did everything they could do to accommodate us every single day. Small boutique hotel. Only 13 rooms. However they make you feel important and very personal. The gourmet meals every day are out of this world. I would thoroughly recommend if you want a close, quiet family or couples break.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Brentwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

This fabulous little boutique hotel deserves much praise. Elegantly designed with a view of the sea wherever you stand in the rooms, this little hotel has the 'wow' factor. This is a little retreat to get away from the crowds and if you're looking for big hotel entertainment then you won't find it here. Here you'll find a guy at the piano who's willing to play and sing your favourite song in the bar before dinner. Class, sophistication and old school romance. I loved it. The most amazing outlook over the sea from the spa massage room on the top floor. Simply divine. My advice - stay in a mainstream hotel in Mauritius if you have to .. then treat yourself to a few days here to truly unwind and experience the best in luxury.

Room Tip: Any of them. There is not a bad room in this hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our recent stay at this beautiful little hotel .... The service, quality of food, and comfort of rooms was all exceptional. The property is conveniently located at a short distance from Grand Baie. All the luxorious rooms have lovely garden and sea views and are equipped with all the required modern amenities ( wi-fi etc.) . The food was some of the best we had in Mauritius and the Chefs go out of their way to understand individual preferences. The hotel staff are extremely courteous and helpful. Would love to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Lancaster UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

My wife & I (well-travelled and an unassuming couple), stayed in this exclusive 5* residence for a period of 9 days (half board) on the recommendation of my trusted travel agent having included this stay as part of a 3 week holiday (South Africa plus safari and on to Mauritius).
Hotel architecture, rooms and ambience, were as anticipated given the rating; the staff were accommodating and were generally very eager to appear friendly, as we are ourselves. The deposit of a previously discarded apple core in or room upon arrival was certainly disappointing and was given back to Reception; interestingly it was ‘accepted’ without any apology offered.
The first evening meal, shortly after our (latish) arrival included in the menu, loin of lamb. “How would I wish this to be cooked” I was asked? “Well done and without blood” was the reply. The lamb duly arrived and at the first cut demonstrated running blood! This was immediately returned with obvious explanation and I awaited further additional heat to quell the haemorrhage. Unfortunately the 2nd attempt did nothing to stem the flow as the meat remained ‘rare’ and oozing with the ‘red stuff’. It was sent back to the chef with adequate explanation, at which point my appetite had been extinguished and no further meal was consumed. The explanation given was that to cook the meat to MY request would be to render the meat tough and dry; that I fully understood but as I (surprisingly for lamb) had been asked initially how I wished the meat to be cooked, I had thought that the least that would be served was a dish to MY preference.
That was only the start! So then further problems - we were asked if either of us had any dietary issues to divulge? “Yes”, an allergy to mussels was notified; “Not a problem” and this was understood by the restaurant staff; point made! Trying to engage with Mauritius and its culture we ‘booked’ a Mauritian meal (24 hours’ notice required). As the meal included a seafood ragout we re-iterated forcefully my wife’s mussel allergy and this element was duly noted, being heartily assured the matter was in hand. Surprise! Guess what was served as the first course? Despite the plate being put in front of my wife with the verbal statement “No mussels” by the server, there indeed was at least one large mussel. Red faces ++++. Needless to say, the dish was re-prepared, this time ‘sans moules’. Too late, the bubble had burst and the defective communication within the staff members was further exposed.
Needless to say, the not insubstantial ‘supplementary’ charges were waived and we received wine without charge in an attempt at reparations.
The following morning, I felt it obligatory to speak with the General Manager and give direct feedback concerning the events of the previous experience. I requested from Reception details of the said name and route of access and was given his card. Unsurprisingly the gentleman was already on the lookout for us and was eager to understand the detail of our plight. We chatted well and extensively in a thoroughly low key manner, pointing out our observations/feedback that whilst being friendly to guests, the staff seemed to miss the point of ordering food and precisely noting the detail of the order.
A robust meeting with the staff was held with the Manager (as we observed) and we assumed the ‘blip’ would become a historical matter and forgotten by us. Whoops; the following morning we were again presented with breakfast dishes that were not ‘as offered’ by the waiting on staff who although (mentally) noting our order, had not re-iterated the food order to confirm the appropriate detail. The meal did not live up to expectation therefore; disappointing given the (self-proclaimed) major status of the establishment.
We had further friendly rapport with the Manager (at his instigation) who was shocked and disappointed with the service we had received, especially after our previous dialogue.
I do not wish to labour the point but if staying at a 5* hotel (as we often do), there is an expectation of an appropriate level of service.
A further minor matter also comes to mind; a complimentary bottle of water was available only upon the day of our arrival and not further offered. A ‘standard procedure’ there, as we were informed!
I must complete the review by adding that our departure was enhanced by a (duly accepted) offer of an individual late afternoon Mauritian meal, prepared and served to us adjacent to the beach at an arranged timing of 4pm. This consisted of an exceptional array of Mauritian cuisine, completely superb with fantastic and individual service by ‘Avi’; probably the most outstanding (and young) staff member encountered during our stay.
So what more can I say? The ambience and surroundings are superb however the amenities of the sister hotel (just across the road, Casuarina Hotel) were not advertised at all but as we are gregarious, we found these for ourselves (including a shop) and enjoyed several nights of entertainment (live music, dancing and demonstrations of local custom) with the reduced prices for drinks an added bonus!
We are an innately positive couple and would not let the circumstances we experienced detract from our overall enjoyment of the stay but if this residence is to maintain its own advertised standards then attention to basic detail must be taken seriously.
The general lack of choice of Mauritian cuisine was glaringly overt within the menu, despite an ‘option’ to engage with 1 or maybe 2 local dishes on a nightly basis there was a requirement to book 24 hours in advance for a fully ‘local’ meal experience - disappointing.
The Manager advised us that many/most guests choose ‘haut cuisine’ dishes rather than local food and that is the reason for the limited local dishes. Note our own findings in this respect! What a shame - stay elsewhere other than this establishment if that is your preference; let the Mauritians celebrate their unique culture. NB take note from where the winner of UK ‘Masterchef’ originates from this year?!
Thank you for reading this honest appraisal, we are very likely to return to Mauritius but not necessarily stay in the same hotel - unless of course changes are evident to engage with Mauritian culture.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to benefit from sea views and are very well appointed
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Direction11, General Manager at Le Cardinal Exclusive Resort, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Dear Doctor,
We wish to extend our deepest thanks to your good person for your general comments following your stay at our Five Star Resort and appreciate to have put us in high rating.

However, we wish to bring some complementary comments as follows:
1.Our Housekeeping team are very keen and devoted in the maintenance of a high standard of cleanliness in our room and public area, especially the “Turn Down” at 18.00 hours. The Executive Chef heartily apologized on behalf of the whole team for the left over piece of apple you found in the decorative bowl in your room –which was covered.
2. Our heartfelt apologies for the misunderstanding as regards to the mussels and the fact that your spouse is allergic to it, this was our mistake and we again apologise for this hiccup. As far as the lamb is concerned, you will subscribe with me that the “Loin of Lamb” cannot be well done right in the middle and in so doing, the same will be dark burnt .Still the chef has done his level best to satisfy you although he did explain the difficulty in cooking this tender meat, he had to cut it into two halves to ensure that it will be well done.

After my trip abroad and having taken cognizance of the problematic situation at the Cardinal Exclusive Resort. I made it a solemn duty to meet your good person in view of settling the matter.
We carried out a commercial gesture in your favour and that of your wife by offering you a dinner with drinks at the beach restaurant and lunch on your departure date followed by a late check out - all on a complimentary basis .

Our Executive Chef having very wide experience in the field is always attentive to the varied tastes and expectations of our guest and above all takes much pleasure to satisfy them all.

Our menu cards(both for lunch & dinner) is composed of a wide variety of meals(inclusive of mauritian dishes) to meet the expectations of guests of cosmopolitan origins. Please be assured that we took good note of your valuable comments to have a larger variety of Mauritian dishes in view of celebrating our unique culture.

As regards to the bottle of water, our policy is to offer a free bottle on the first day as welcoming gesture , but is for sale henceforth in your mini bar.

On your departure day, your spouse & yourself seemed very satisfied with your stay at our hotel.
We were particularly happy to note that you have enjoyed the ambiance of our sister hotel , you even mentioned to our team members at the reception , that you would write “Personally” to me the General Manager.
As good professionals, we thought that this matter has been solved to the satisfaction of both parties.

The Management.
Tuebingen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a visit to Mauritius and we absolutely loved Le Cardinal. The service team (Vick, etc.) at Le Cardinal was exceptional and we really felt at home. The food was amazing. You will not find a better half board dinner program...additionally, the rooms are great and the towels are even scented (my wife loved this). Also, Le Cardinal only has 13 rooms, so if you are looking to avoid the large scale, mass tourism hotels, Le Cardinal is for you.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Cardinal Exclusive Resort? Share your experiences!