“A first class holiday to remember” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Get 25-35% + more !!!
Ranked #1 of 10 hotels in Le Morne
Durban, South Africa
“A first class holiday to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Having been in the travel industry for almost 12 years, I have travelled at lot. I have stayed in many hotels, resorts, but, my old time favourite is still, Mauritius. However, this holiday I can honestly say, was the best holiday ever!

We travelled in economy class on Air Mauritius. It’s a very comfortable airline, with friendly staff, good food and entertainment. They were on time, so no delays in getting us to our holiday destination. With Mauritius only 4 hours from Joburg, it truly is paradise on our doorstep.

On arrival in Mauritius, we cleared passport control, collected our bags and as we walked through the doors of arrivals, there was a friendly representative waiting for us from Coquille Bonheur, with some cold, scented towels, cold water & a cute little local beach bag for me! What a treat to be met with such service. Now for those of you who have been to Mauritius or for those who haven’t…I just LOVE the scented towels.

As we left the airport, we drew some local currency from the ATM (it’s always best to exchange money at the airport, as you get a better rate).

Our private transfer was ready and waiting for us, our destination, Lux Le Morne for 3 nights. Lux* Le Morne is situated on the beautiful South/West of Mauritius, overlooking Le Morne mountain. It’s about 1h15 from the airport. On arrival at Lux Le Morne, again, we were met with those lovely scented towels and a refreshing cocktail. We were shown to comfortable couches to relax while being checked in. This is one of the great things of Lux resorts, the importance of your holiday ‘time’. You don’t want to waste time standing around on your holiday waiting, so, from the moment you arrive, making most of your time, is top priority. As we arrived quite late, we headed straight to the buffet for dinner. For those of you who don’t know the rule…its compulsory to pick up at least 4kg while on holiday in Mauritius and judging from our first night at the buffet, this was not going to be a problem at all! After dinner, we were shown to our room – the honeymoon suite! What a treat! The room was a holiday on its own, very spacious, private balcony, huge bathroom…and best of all, the bed! That was THE most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. As you lay down, you literally ‘sink into’ the bed linen. It’s as if the bed swallowed you up! (Hint: try booking your restaurants early for every night of your stay, as they do get booked up very quickly. The Thai restaurant at Le Morne, was my favourite.)

The next morning we had breakfast in the most beautiful setting on the deck. We chose the table closest to the sea and had the best view…white sand, crystal clear water…the perfect way to start the day. It doesn’t matter how hard you try to tell yourself ‘I am only having fruit for breakfast’, it never happens. The choice of food was just unbelievable…from fruit, yoghurt, cereals, full English breakfast, pancakes, waffles…the choice was endless.

Although the resort was at 100% occupancy, it sure didn’t feel like it. The stretch of beach it’s located on ensures everyone gets their spot without feeling cramped or crowded. There is also a choice of three swimming pools to choose from PLUS, and this was the highlight for me…a pool bar! We spent many hours just relaxing in the water, enjoying the bar’s many choice of cocktails.

Loads of activities were available at the boat house, from snorkelling, kayaking, wind surfing etc. Not to mention searching for the ‘message in a bottle’ or the ‘secret bar’. These two activities is something unique to Lux resorts and add that element of surprise to your holiday. Once or twice a week, the staff would hide a glass bottle with a message inside somewhere on the resort property. If you happen to find it…you take it to reception and as you open it, there is a surprise treat for you! It could be anything from a special dinner, massage…who knows…until you find the bottle. The secret bar, again, also only happens once or twice a week, and the staff will set up a ‘mobile bar’ somewhere on the resort grounds. If you find it, you can help yourself to as many drinks as you want, and even make your own cocktails, all complimentary!

Our second night, we were invited to a cocktail party, where guests had the opportunity to meet the hotel management. This is definitely not to be missed and a great way to mingle.

On our last day, we made use of ‘Lux Me’…the Spa. This is a definite MUST, and the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit. Our choice of treatment, a couple’s full body massage.

There is a weekly schedule available in your room of all the daily activities you can participate in…or, you can do your own thing -the choice is yours.

Day 4 of our holiday we were transferred, across the island to Lux* Belle Mare. On the East Coast of Mauritius. It was quite a long drive 1h30 minutes; however, it was nice to drive through all the local villages and towns.

On arrival, we were, again met with friendly smiles, those cold scented towels and a refreshing drink. After all the check-in formalities, we were taken via golf cart to our own private villa. No words can describe my excitement of having to stay in a private villa, with your own private butler, private heated pool PLUS your own private beach (for villa residence only, of which there are 12 villas).

While sipping on our sparkling wine, our butler showed us around our villa…ie. dining area, lounge, bedroom, bathroom with outside shower, mini-kitchenette, outside veranda with pool, loungers and private deck…yip, I have arrived, in paradise. And then, we stepped outside on the sea sand…it is THE softest sand I have ever felt! My paradise, just got better.

Again, the hotel was at 100% occupancy, but I would never have said it. There were plenty of beach loungers to choose from, and it never felt crowded.

We spent our days, either lounging on the beach or our villa, enjoying the home made ice-cream, the best coffee ever from Café lux, activities at the boat house and off course, making everyone jealous at home with updates on facebook (free wifi throughout the resort) or if you are a workaholic like my husband…catching up on e-mails.

You can take a taxi to Belle Mare town, its about 10min from the hotel @ Rupees 100 return (about R40). There are a few shops, it took us 15 minutes to walk through all the shops. Or, you can go a bit further 20min from the hotel to the town of Flaq. On Tuesday & Sundays they have ‘market day’ with all kinds of stuff from spices, clothes etc.

Every night we enjoyed a night cap (local vanilla rum) at the bar and enjoy some local, live band entertainment.

Just as I thought our holiday can’t get any better…we booked a breakfast on the beach (@ Rupees750 per person, approx.. R250 per person). You guessed it; they set your breakfast table up in the water. So you enjoy your meal while having your feet in the sand and the sound of the waves, literally at your feet.

We were in for yet another treat, on our last night, we were moved to the honeymoon suite, with a private, romantic dinner on the balcony. A five course lobster menu…again, I was speechless.

Both Lux* Belle Mare and Lux* Le Morne has so much to offer. My experience above hasn’t even scratched the surface. …actually, they have many reasons to visit them!

Will I return to Mauritius = YES

Will I return to Lux* resorts = YES…we never did find that message in a bottle or the secret bar, so I have to return (soon) to find it!

HUGE THANK YOU to the entire team of Lux…from the reception staff, to the waiters, chefs, butlers, beach boys…all of you are super stars and truly made my holiday so special and memorable.

Special thanks to Geraldine & Rocco from Lux* Le Morne, and Ashesh, Suren, Dave, Shandon & Roa from Lux* Belle Mare – you guys rock!

I can go on and on about the all you can expect (and more) from Lux* resorts, but that is for you to go and experience yourself

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

1,621 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Polish first
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hostel is perfect for family holidays : amazing location with the view on the "Morne", the lagoon, the beach, restaurants,swimming pool, rooms with a view on the swimming pool or the beach, activities offered at the hostel.
All the staff is really qualified and service oriented, only an effort has to be done for the staff at the swimming pool bar.
the travel agency, OIT hôtels did a great job in the organization of our trip!
We recommend this hostel and the agency, we spent amazing holidays.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with OIT Hotels

JeanPierre A, General Manager at LUX Le Morne, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear MigaudCharneau

Thank you very much for writing your review.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your experience at LUX* Le Morne.
I have noted the improvements required at the swimming pool bar, and I am pleased to inform you that we have recruited lately some very good and pleasant Team Members; we hope you will come back for a great drink at the pool.

Yours sincerely, and with best personal regards
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

LUX Le Morne is in many ways an excellent hotel. The rooms (we stayed in a prestige suite with an outdoor shower) are of a high standard, although not big, and the location at the foot of Le Morne and directly on one of the best beaches in Mauritius is hard to beat.
What works less well at LUX Le Morne is that it apparently wants to be a hotel for everybody - honeymooners, couples and families. We travelled as a couple and had expected a quiet, luxurious hideaway but what we experienced was a hotel that in many respects were dominated by families travelling with (young) children - and that makes it hard to maintain a high-end, calm and peaceful atomsphere, especially in the restaurants and in the pool areas. Add to this that the hotel does not enforce a non-smoking policy in the restaurants which means that you not in any way can expect a smoke-free environment.
The service and the food at the hotel is ok but not fabulous and not of a consistently high quality, and the same goes for the spa. For a less expensive hotel/spa that is ok but not for a place that wants to be a five-star hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JeanPierre A, General Manager at LUX Le Morne, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear JRossen,

Thank you for writing your review on Trip Advisor.
I will ensure strict compliance with the non-smoking policy; indeed it is not allowed and signs are posted all around, I will make sure it happens immediately.
February has certainly been a month with plenty of school holidays and I respect very much your comments, something we will reflect upon.
I am nevertheless happy that you found the resort otherwise pleasing, and I can assure you that your comments will definitely be guiding our way forward.
With best regards,
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed here for 7 nights, for the second part of our holiday in Mauritius. On arrival had a warm greeting and was also introduced to Rocco the resident manager who spent time talking about Mauritius and the hotel, he was very friendly . The location of the hotel is stunning the UNESCO Le Morne Mountain as the back drop and then the view of the sea and palm trees.
The room we were allocated was superb, spacious, very clean, also a really nice terrace area with ample privacy and sun loungers to relax and take in the atmosphere. The bed was one of the most comfortable of any hotel a huge double mattress. Cleaning staff were efficient and cleaned and checked the room twice a day if requested.
Several restaurants, buffet style which had various themed evenings ( asian evening very good) , a beach restaurant ( excellent pizza cooked from a pizza oven) and also a small Thai restaurant that you need to book ahead of time, nice to sit outside. The staff were extremely friendly and remembered your name, this is a nice touch, thank you to Deepa, Natasha, Teeluck and Ravine who work at the restaurants.
The beach and grounds were extremely well maintained a lovely little lady who worked on the garden was so smily every time you saw her she would acknowledge you, this we noticed from most of the staff at the hotel, they really seemed pleased to see you.
Alan the concierge was great and assisted with the taxi, who tried to charge too much.
We visited the Lux Me Spa and had a joint massage which was gorgeous, they have a steam room, jacuzzi, etc , also a beautiful area with a small private pool it was heavenly.
Jean Pierre the general manager was very visible and assisted us when had problems with our mobile phone, letting us use his personal phone.
The overall impression of the hotel was wonderful. We will definitely return and will recommend to friends. Thank you all at Lux Le Morne.

Room Tip: Ground floor room
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Having been fortunate enough to have stayed at many five star resorts around the world, I was expecting the same high standard of service and accommodation at Lux Le Morne, and the large number of positive reviews posted here, along with the attractive photographs, persuaded my girlfriend and I to choose this hotel.

Our hour-long journey across the island was a sad reminder of the relative poverty that the locals live in – something I have experienced in other places such as the Caribbean and Egypt. As we dropped other passengers off at their hotels, I was excited to see them greeted with wet flannels and a cold drink, and looked forward to finally arriving at our hotel. On arrival at Lux Le Morne there was no such reception. We were told to take a seat in the reception area and asked for our passports. Over the following twenty minutes, three people asked us if we’d checked in yet. This was confusing and my first impression was that the staff were disorganised. Eventually, a lady came over and asked us for our Expedia print-out. I had not printed the reservation details because I had been told that everything was in place, and that the hotel was expecting us. I also assumed that our passports would confirm who we are. But no, I was told to log-on to the hotel’s wi-fi network, find the original email and forward it to guest relations at the hotel. By this time we were hot, thirsty and very tired after the twelve hour flight from the UK. So entering WEP Keys into my British mobile phone and trying to find my webmail was quite frustrating, not least because switching my phone on caused a flurry of text messages to arrive, which I got charged to receive!

The hotel itself looked nice and the pools looked inviting, so I was determined to overlook this bad start as we were led to our room; a Junior Suite Prestige. The location wasn’t ideal being on the far right end of the hotel overlooking the Beach restaurant, but the room was nice enough. First impressions were that the interior fittings were quite worn and scuffed in places, but the design and layout was good. We were only looking for winter sun, and despite the fact that it rained every day (early February), there was enough sunshine between each downpour for us to get a tan and swim in the sea. The layout of the hotel is good with some decent-sized swimming pools, although they do look like ponds with their dark tiles and the local frogs obviously feel the same way of an evening.

Four days into our stay we were upgraded to an Ocean Junior Suite because two family’s wanted to be next to each other, so we were happy to move. It was obviously closer to the beach, which made it practical to spend the day sunbathing on our own veranda as oppose to the beach sunbeds, which was nice. But apart from that, the room itself was very similar to the Prestige Suite without the outdoor show – which we hadn’t used anyway. New couples or anyone that is embarrassed about going to the toilet in front of their partner should be aware that whereas the toilet in the Junior Suite Prestige is in its own room, the toilet in an Ocean Junior Suite is just a frosted glass partition within the bathroom, meaning that you can hear and smell everything. But this wasn’t too much of a problem for us and we enjoyed staying in the room for the remainder of our trip, because of its position. I am sure that the standard rooms, although set back from the ocean, would be absolutely adequate because you mostly spend the day on the beach or around the pools anyway. And the additional luxuries offered in a Prestige or Ocean room are not particularly significant. A coffee machine was the only difference in our case. Here are my opinions of the various aspects of the hotel:

Staff: Hit and miss – some are polite and courteous, others are forgetful and inattentive. When we sat down for breakfast at the Kitchen for the first time, nobody asked us if we wanted tea or coffee and we weren’t given butter or glasses for our drinks- all things that you can’t help yourself to. During a meal at The Beach, our food was plonked down in front of us by a woman who clearly didn’t want to be there as she looked around the room and almost knocked my drink over.

Beach: Nice enough but it’s quite narrow and being public, you are approached by people selling jewellery, boat trips and clothes all day long. The locals and hotel, moore their boats pretty much in front of the hotel's stretch of beach, so the view is obscured by boats and quite crowded in places. There are very few fish to be seen, I found that the best fish sightings are to be found by taking a peddle boat over the reef further out.

Food: The food is of a very high standard. We loved eating in the Kitchen and were pleased that we took the half-board option. The Kitchen offers a different theme each night and the food is excellent with a huge variety. It’s a shame that the hotel choose to charge you around £4 for bottle of water, especially since their own brand called ‘Earth’ is actually filtered locally and not true spring water. Breakfast was also great, and the Signature juice and French toast are to die for.

Bar: This is one of the areas that Lux Le Morne get wrong. Drinks are way too expensive! £12 for a single Gorgons Gin and Tonic? The bar was generally sparsely populated because I’m sure, like us, most guests did not wish to pay the extortionate prices. This is a shame because it’s a nice bar and the live bands that played most nights sounded good.

Good Points: Nice touches include the free wi-fi, the white telephone box that allows you to phone home for free. The pop-up bar that, if you find it, you can help yourself to a drink from. And the message in a bottle which gets hidden somewhere around the hotel and contains a prize such as a free Catamaran trip. Rocco, the hotel manager, is also a very nice guy and he seemed very popular with the other guests too. We often saw him chatting to people and helping out, and we enjoyed meeting him at the new arrivals drinks evening. The free use of pedal boats and other watercraft was a bonus, and the dolphin excursion we went on was well worth doing.

Bad points: Slightly scuffed rooms. The feeling of being just another number at times. Beach Suites have glass-screened toilets within the bathroom which affects privacy. Service is generally poor - staff need to be properly trained. Drinks are hugely over-priced and add up. The beach felt a bit cluttered and not like the tropical paradise we thought it would be.

Summary: In my opinion, Lux Le Morne isn’t quite a 5 star resort, but by comparison to somewhere like The Maldives, you do get more for your money. It’s a nice hotel with great restaurants and good facilities. It represents fairly good value for money but personally I wouldn’t return, primarily because of the poor service and general apathy of most of the staff who made us feel like just another couple of tourists. The location is beautiful and it is perfect for a relaxing holiday – but do check the weather as Le Morne is notoriously windy and quite wet in Jan/Feb as we discovered. But the wind does give you a break from the humidity so it may be a blessing.

Room Tip: Unless you have a lot of money, the standard rooms are fine since you'll probably spend your day...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JeanPierre A, General Manager at LUX Le Morne, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Lovebomb,
Thank you for posting a review on your recent experience at LUX Le Morne.
I am very, very sorry that we failed on the welcome upon your arrival. This particular day was indeed not running smoothly due to exceptional circumstances at the reception. I will also review with our Team the need to print your Expedia confirmation voucher, and I apologize for making you wait, when we should have instead given you a warm welcome and a speedy check-in. Should you wish to contact me, I would happily compensate you for the cost of the overseas messages you had to receive.
Concerning the food service issue, I am personally spearheading a training campaign to ensure consistency in quality of service; thank you for bringing the details to my attention as it helps focusing on specific areas.
Imported spirits a quite expensive and lend to what you rightly say a pricey drink. Locally bottled spirits are way more affordable but discerning palates may find them different. One thing though; our brand of water "Earth" is indeed spring water (from Bois Cheri spring), I can guarantee you and I hope no one of our Team Members gave you misleading information.
The practice of Beach Hawkers is legal and regulated in Mauritius and is also a way to get to know better the Mauritian community, but I leave it to each one to have their own perception.
I would like to have a bit of correction on Le Morne meteorological concern; the peninsula where our resort is located tends to be protected from the main winds and also rainfall is lower than in most areas; during your stay we had an unusual North wind and I appreciate we had more rain than expected. "caprices" of this year' weather !
Thank you again for being thorough, and be assured that your review help us serve our guests better
Yours incerely,
Walton-On-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

As a couple getting close to the wrong end of the seventies we have stayed in many hotels over the years and have become very selective in our holiday choices. We expect to receive good value and friendly service in a relaxing atmosphere at a beautiful location. This hotel with its well appointed rooms , in attractive gardens leading on to a superb beach , and food for all tastes ticks all the boxes for us , while guests of all ages are also extremely well catered for. We have just returned from our tenth stay at Les Pavillons . now known as Lux Le Morne.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This good standard 5-star resort is set apart by its spectacular natural setting on a narrow strip between the dramatic Le Morne Brabant mountain and the long sandy Le Morne beach and lagoon. It’s the right side of Mauritius to avoid the worst wind and summer rain and see the best sunsets and is a bit cheaper than its golf-coursed neighbours.

Our standard room was a decent size with a large well-designed bathroom and walk-in closet. There’s plenty of space for a week’s holiday with nice bathroom amenities. Housekeeping was variable; our rooms were at least serviced by mid-afternoon every day but the turn-down service never arrived before 9.30pm and the quality of the cleaning was spotty on some days. The many frayed towels detracted from the 5-star experience somewhat. Standard rooms don’t have a lot of privacy as upstairs ones share stairs with their neighbour and downstairs ones all face the walkways. Some of the suites furthest from reception are the most private.

Management was always very visible and the staff generally polite and friendly. The South end of the beach is more spacious and shadier with the nicest of the three shallow pools. There are enough loungers to go around although everyone gets up early to reserve them which means you’ll have to do the same.

We booked a half-board package which is certainly the way to go; food and drink prices are high and there are no alternative dinner venues without a taxi ride. The quality of the food was fair to excellent, varying between nights and the three restaurants. The Thai restaurant was quite spectacular but needs booking a few days in advance. There is a cheap public café on the beach just beyond the boat house with a small, simple menu for lunch alternatives. The hotel shop sells water cheaply plus a limited range of beach essentials. The gym is good and the spa setting and service very good which at European prices it should be.

Room Tip: South side, upstairs to avoid floor noise from people above. The further from reception the better f...
Dear Badger CT,

Thank you for writing your review on Trip Advisor.
I will certainly get those towels sorted out.
Also we shall need to indicate to our guest upon check-in that the housekeeping service is scheduled between 08h30 in the morning till 15h30 in the afternoon, whilst the evening service is taking place between 19h and 22 h; that for requirements of specific time of service to advise us accordingly, this may help, and thank you for the notifying us.

With best regards,

Been to LUX Le Morne? Share your experiences!