“The best 2 weeks!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Grand Gaube
Truro, United Kingdom
“The best 2 weeks!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We visited the Lux when it was the Legends Hotel back in June 2011 for our honeymoon and it was the best!

On arrival we received a welcome drink with hot towels and the most beautiful view-my husband and I had to pinch ourselves!

We were then escorted to our rooms where we had a large bed and lovely big bath with separate shower on the ground floor. The room was a little dates and could have done with a refurb but we only used it to sleep in as the beach was 30 seconds from our patio! The shower was dirty and could have done with a real deep clean!

The staff were fantastic and I couldn't believe it when I was followed by one of the waiters for carrying a bottle of champagne from my room to the swimming pool-he was offering to do it for me but I just want used to this 1st class service.

The food was amazing with the restaurant at the end of the pier being our favourite as you can see the dish jumping out of the water while you dine! We went half board though and I would advise anyone to go all inclusive due to the cosy of the food and drinks.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Polish first
Churt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

From arrival to departure the management and team at Lux Grand Gaube are keen to ensure that each guest has a fabulous holiday. The resort is beautifully located with two beaches to choose from and different dining options. The grounds are well manicured without looking "prissy" and there are some original touches - a stretch mini has been converted to keep ice cream cold for guests who are on the beach! The sports/animation teams are available to provide activities for those who don't want to laze all day including snorkelling trips, glass bottom boat trips, kayaking, wind surfing, pedalos and other entertainments.
The food was a highlight of the holiday and the team that created the artistic touches to the buffet deserve a mention - often buffet meals can feel like being in a cafeteria - they used stylish individual serving dishes for many of the elements of the meal which took "buffet" to another dimension. In the a la carte restaurants the food was like art on a plate and just as delicious. If I had any negative comments - they would be 1) the on switch on hairdryers have to be held down to keep them working - irritating; 2) the lack of choice of "mains" in the a la carte menus and 3) - the hotel provided us with a picnic breakfast as we had a really early start - we thought this was a nice touch, but the sandwiches were dry and the bread like cardboard! I know the catering team can do better than that - the box looked great but appearances were very deceptive.
Nevertheless a great holiday and we'd definitely go back.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are lovely - we were in a room near the Banyan pool which was very quiet but w...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BriceLunot, General Manager at LUX Grand Gaube, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Sunseeker,
Greeting from sunny Mauritius, and thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor. Your satisfaction is our greatest reward, and your comments on the kitchen team is a great satisfaction for us. Olivier, our chef, is about to complete his second week with us, but his talent and contagious passion have already operated. I however present my sincerest excuses for the picnic breakfast which has been provided to you upon departure, you can count on us, this situation will be quickly addressed.
I will also make sure to relay yours comments to our gardeners team. I am sure they will greatly appreciate your comments on their dedicated work.
I sincerely thank you for having take of your time to share your perception, and I would be pleased to welcome you gain at Lux Grand Gaube.
Sincerely yours.
Chemnitz, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

After a really long trip my father and me arrived in LUX Grand Gaube. The welcoming and friendly nature of the Mauritian people will open up every closed heart. The hotel staff was not only friendly and respectful but also helpful in finding our way on the island and making us feel comfortable at all times. My father and me were only mistaken for husband and wife, but this misunderstanding cleared up very soon. The evening program was also amazing. If you like different cultures, it´s the perfect experience. Different dance shows from all cultural influences in Mauritius.
For people who like to combine the perfect beach experience with sports, this is the hotel to go to. I appreciated the refreshing, motivating and professional attitude of the entertainer and gym instructor Burwing. He gave me lot´s of inspiration about good exercises, motivating me in a way that i keep up the work out even though I´m back home. Good mental coaching !

Room Tip: Junior Suite was very nice !
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Emilia,
Discovering your review was a very pleasant moment, and I would like to thank you for it !
I am glad that you were able to enjoy the genuine friendliness of the team. I will make sure to thank on your behalf Ludovic and his entertaining team for the programm they have designed, and their passion in executing it.
Thank you also for having mentioned Burwing at the Gym. Burwing and his colleagues are all great trainers who have an extensive knowledge in this area, believing in what they are doing. It will be my pride to personally thank Burwing for his great contribution in making your experience unforgettable.
The entire team joins me in thanking you for having shared those moments with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Lux Grand Gaube for another great family holiday.
Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We had a wonderful time at the LUX Grand Gaube. We were welcomed by friendly staff, who offered us some refreshments and gave us a quick tour of the hotel before leading us to our room. Our room was quite large, somewhat dated. The hotel is surrounded by a lovely garden and there are several nice beaches to choose from.

The breakfast was nice, had a good variety of fruits, freshly made pancakes and waffles, eggs and omelets made to order. Don't forget to have your daily espresso at the coffee bar! The barista knows have to make great coffee.

During our stay there were three different restaurants open; one buffet style and two à la Carte. They also served some lighter meals at the bar. The buffet restaurant had different themes each night and the food was quite fine. We had some wonderful lunches and dinners at the Beach restaurant, with great service, beautiful settings and a menu with lots to choose from. The fish tasted very good and the desserts as well. We also tried the Abalone fish restaurant. Go for the lobster. It's superb, but quite expensive.

There are several water sport activities, such as kayaking, water skiing and paddle boats. Perfect when you need a break from all the sunbathing. Also tried the spa, which had a relaxing atmosphere and a large number of treatments to choose from.

All the members of the staff were really friendly, always smiling and willing to help. A special thanks goes to Reedoo, the beach manager. He really took care of us, always making sure that we had everything we needed. He arranged for a day at the private beach, with a wonderful seafood platter for lunch. He also put together a really romantic outdoor dinner for us at our terrace, with lovely food, beautiful flower arrangements, music and candles. We will never forget that evening!

Overall a fantastic stay at LUX Grand Gaube!

Hanne and Mats

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

we took our annual family vacation in Mauritius. This was our best holiday ever. If I were to use one word to describe it "amazing" Everything was great about this hotel. The staff are really friendly and will go the extra mile to make sure the guests are happy, the food was lovely as we had a theme every night so there was different food every time. We spent Christmas here and the hotel staff really kept us entertained. They prepared a special Christmas eve celebration for all the guests and Santa arrived with gifts for all the kids on Christmas day. The kids are really entertained at this hotel. There is a full days program to keep them busy. The hotel is well maintained. It was our own private beach and was treated like royalty from the time we got of the taxi. 1 week flew by so quickly, so we will definitely be back. At first I thought it was too expensive but now I really believe it was well worth every cent I spent and don't regret spending that extra money. Great hotel with fantastic staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BriceLunot, General Manager at LUX Grand Gaube, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear RaganieIsrael,
Thank you very much for having spent of your time to share your experience in Mauritius last Christmas.
I can recall that unfortunately (and quite exceptionally) the weather was not that great during Christmas, however I am really pleased to see that the team, by its creativity and passion, managed to make this special period a very enjoyable one. We are all grateful for your nice review, and hope to have another opportunity to help your family celebrate life.
Yours sincerely.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Honest opinion on a beautiful hotel. Located in the north of the Island approx. 1hr 15min hour from the airport. New road to be built to bypass Port Louis think they said it would be ready for 2014. When you arrive you’re met with a refreshing drink and hot towel. Booking in was seamless and we were shown to our room in no time. The hotel itself is tranquil, tropical and quiet. It is clean and the grounds are lovely. There are always sunbeds available, of course there is the usual early morning reserves but why!! There is a lovely quiet area at the far end of the hotel where you can take advantage of the pool and the beach.

The whole place is clean and tidy. The staff are lovely always with smile and a friendly word, even remembering your name but then we pass the time of day with them. Special mention to our room attendant Vimi for the bed art it was amazing. We had a massage in the spa which was very relaxing.

Our room was lovely overlooking the garden with a sea view and was spacious with a lovely bathroom the seperate toilet was very dark and dismal, but clean.

The food was average often they ran out of food at the buffet and it took ages to be replenished. I am a fairly flexible what I eat but my other half is not, just plain British Fayre, he did struggle in the evenings to find something usually salad, bread and occasionally the meat of the day! We went to the Italian style restaurant it was ok!
Breakfast was good.

We love fish so thought the fish restaurant would be right up our street, it rained heavy so a section is made in the buffet restaurant, no problem with that no-one can help the weather and it was rainy season, it was so disappointing we felt under pressure from the moment we arrived we had to order all 3 courses straight away, it was very basic fayre and less than average.
But even with the food issue we loved the whole experience of Mauritius it is a stunning island and the hotel is beautiful, the people are really friendly and go out of their way to make you welcome.

Get out and about there are loads of things to do we really enjoyed the quad biking. We hired a taxi for the day and it was worth every penny got loads of local gen and saw lots of stunning scenery.
I have given this an excellent review the hotel and staff were so good, although the food was average.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sue,
Let me express my sincere gratitude for sharing your perception on your recent experience at LUX Grand Gaube. I am happy that you have overall enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you sincerely for recommending Vimi, and her passion. She is the type of person who really believes in what she does.I would like to extend my apologies for the concerns you have expressed on the food proposed at the hotel. We already have taken some correctives actions, and had the pleasure to welcome last week our New Executive Chef, Mr Olivier Fajol. Olivier is a young, dynamic and talented chef, and his action in the past week already had a great impact.
I would like to thank you for your feed-back and assure you that we have taken it with very seriously. I do sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to experience the resort.
With all the team best wishes.
Romsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We have just returned from a truly amazing holiday to Luxe Grand Gaube. From the moment we stepped off the transfer bus, we were treated like the most special people on the planet. The service at the hotel is truly extraordinary. We are truly grateful to everyone who helped us during our stay but a special mention must go to a number of the team: from the top, the General Manager is the most charming and thoughtful man. He quickly calmed us when there was some talk of a storm hitting the Island. The beach manager, Reedoo is totally unique. He works and works and genuinely wants to ensure you have a wonderful time. Everyday he comes and chats to you and ensures the beds are straight, drinks are served and there is something for the guests to talk about and watch. He cuts pineapples, coconuts and on our last day placed cucumber on your eyes! When you think he can do no more, he draws hearts and places flowers around your bed. Wow.

The restaurant team are superb. Special thanks to Rishi who was an utter professional and was the first member of the team to greet us by name and ensure the family were well looked after. Dhiren, Jean-Phillipe, Sandren and Satish were also amazing and so caring. But the list could go on and on, Harry, Rebecca, Daniel.......but i must mention the pancake lady (Francesca) who is just the most delightful and beatiful lady. What a smile and greeting every morning. You just can't fail to be cheered by her.

Our children were brilliantly entertained by Burwing, Sebastian and Bo-bo. They had many days of swimming, dancing, karaoke, card games, table tennis, pool etc. For our daughters birthday, the staff organized a cake, costume for the traditional dancing and a beach dress. Sandren also gave us non alcoholic champagne for the children and the real stuff for us.

Burwing in particular was a real friend and he became a complete hero to our children. He knew exactly how to treat them and always had suggestions as to what they could play. They will miss him hugely but they have already found a way to contact him by email and FaceTime. What a star. They knew how sad they were to leave and he took the care to say a proper goodbye and then contact them by mail the next day. Wow, wow, wow.

As you can probably tell, this hotel was just perfect for us. The beach is beautiful, the watersports are plentiful, the food good, the facilities great but what makes it is the staff. A total credit to the Hotel group. We would love to return and once again enjoy the special hospitality of the Mauritian people.

The only minor gripe for us was that the bedrooms (ocean superior) were slightly tired but it really didnt matter in the slightest. Nothing could detract from the wonderful 10 days that we had the priveledge to enjoy. Thank you for a great holiday.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ruppert Sally,
Thank you very much for this lovely review. I am sure all the people you have mentioned have already read your words, but it will be my great privilege to thank them for their excellent attitude. Especially Reedoo who is always so caring with his customers on the beach, Diren at the Kitchen restaurant, looking after everyone, Jean Phillipe at the Beach, who is a brilliant manager and Sandren at the bar who runs the most friendly and lively place of the hotel. I am happy to see their team walking in their footsteps, as do Harry, Rebecca, Daniel and so many of them.
We also take great pride of our animation team, and I am really happy that they managed to help your family celebrate life! Both Burwing and Bobo have a special talent to train our guests at the gym with a great sense of happiness and professionalism. A special though to Sebastian who recently twist his ankle while playing volleyball with guests on the beach (it can be a dangerous job!) It was not an easy task convincing him to go to the hospital.
Once again, I would like to thank you for recommending those great personalities who make the difference.
We would be delighted to welcome you back at Lux Grand Gaube, and I am sure that Burwin will be the first to know.
Sincerely Yours.

Been to LUX Grand Gaube? Share your experiences!